Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2022, 08:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
None of her solo albums are wholly satisfying but each of them has fine moments. Of the three, I think ITM the most consistent and enjoyable. The production is clean and spare. I don’t think it bland; rather, I sense its very spaciousness is meant to allow her voice and songwriting to take center stage.

The 1969 record is like a lot of records made by women singers at that time—a hodgepodge of styles, a buffet of genres. I wish that record had more minor-key blues tunes like “I’m On My Way” and more stax-inspired R&B tunes like “No Road.” I dig half of it a lot.

I dig half of the 1984 record, too, though the middle of side 2 falls flat for me, redeemed only by “Smile.” The California gloss of most of the record blunts her hook-writing edge. Still, “One in a Million” and “Ask Anybody” are incredibly appealing.
I agree. They are all solid songs and enjoyable. When 1984 was released, I loved it of course but the Sharpe collaboration almost made some of the songs sound country like Love Will Show Us How, I'm So Excited, etc. It was an odd sound for her I thought. But I really enjoyed it. I know she loved working with Sharpe and she did a good job with him. Looking back however, I wish she would have stuck to her guns and did only her songs and brought in a different producer. While I praise the album for not having any 80's schtick, the album could have improved with a few bouncy beats. Love Will Show Us How is a key example. While great in its final form, I think a good producer could have turned it into a much bigger hit. But then again, Chris was not looking for commercial super stardom. She was almost forced to do a solo album and wanted partners to do it with. She is the only member of Fleetwood Mac that I don't dislike any of their solo work. Nicks and Buckingham have plenty of solo stuff I am not crazy about. Some of her work may not be stand outs, but they are good songs and I think that is what she was going for.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-12-2022 at 08:23 AM..