The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-13-2020, 02:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I feel very sorry for the feller. Sounds as if he's endured a frustrating life. Unfortunately Peter was in no fit state to look after himself for most of his adult life, let alone have a relationship with any children.
Its good to hear he's established a relationship with Rosebud though.

Daily Mail online
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi....html#comments

'I was swept under the rug': Fleetwood Mac legend Peter Green's secret son reveals he was forced to go to the High Court for a DNA test to prove the late rocker was his father
Liam Firlej, now 34, was born following a years-long romance between Green - who died aged 73 in July - and Liam's mother Janina, which began around 1980
The star's son said in desperation in January 2015, he turned up at Green's home in Canvey Island, Essex to ask for a DNA test - after years of attempted contact
In 2017 Liam went to the High Court in a DNA battle to prove he was Green's son, and said it was the 'happiest day of my life' when his paternity was proven
Influential blues rock guitarist Green, from Bethnal Green, London co-founded band Fleetwood Mac in 1967
Green left Fleetwood Mac after a final performance in 1970 as he struggled with mental health difficulties and spiralling drug use, later sleeping rough
By EVE BUCKLAND FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 16:08, 30 August 2020 | UPDATED: 10:48, 31 August 2020

The secret son of late Fleetwood Mac legend Peter Green has revealed he went to court for a DNA test to prove his paternity in 2017, after the rocker refused to acknowledge him. Liam Firlej, now 34, was born following a years-long romance between Green - who died aged 73 in July - and Liam's mother Janina, which began around 1980 when Green was in his 30s and Janina aged 18. Liam said he grew up worshipping the co-founder of the iconic band - whose hits include Albatross, Need Your Love So Bad and Black Magic Woman - and that he was desperate for the star to reunite with him.

Father: The secret son of late Fleetwood Mac legend Peter Green (above in 2004) has revealed he went to court for a DNA test to prove his paternity in 2017, after the rocker refused to acknowledge him (pictured late 1960s)

He told The Mirror: 'I feel upset that he's dead – but also so angry that I was never given the opportunity to have a father in my life. 'I feel like I was swept under the rug. I used to try to forget about him and the whole situation. 'It would work for about six months, then I would keep on hearing the music and think "I just can't escape this." It still drives me insane.'

Green, an influential blues rock guitarist, from Bethnal Green in London, formed Fleetwood Mac with drummer Mick Fleetwood after a stint in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers - filling in for Eric Clapton.

Wanting recognition: Liam Firlej, now 34, (above) was born following a years-long romance between Green - who died aged 73 in July - and Liam's mother Janina, which began around 1980 when Green was in his 30s and Janina aged 18

Green and Fleetwood wanted John McVie to join the group on bass, and named the band Fleetwood Mac to entice him - a strategy that was ultimately successful. Under his direction, the band produced three albums and a series of well-loved tracks including Black Magic Woman and Oh Well. Green left Fleetwood Mac after a final performance in 1970 as he struggled with mental health difficulties and spiralling drug use, later sleeping rough. He was eventually diagnosed with schizophrenia and spent time in hospitals undergoing electro-convulsive therapy during the mid-70s.

Heyday: Green, an influential blues rock guitarist, from Bethnal Green in London, formed Fleetwood Mac with drummer Mick Fleetwood after a stint in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers - filling in for Eric Clapton (pictured 2004)

Childhood: Liam was raised by his grandmother Maureen (pictured as a child) after his mother Janina signed over parental rights. Maureen also pleaded with Green to acknowledge his son

Iconic: Green left Fleetwood Mac after a final performance in 1970 as he struggled with mental health difficulties and spiralling drug use, later sleeping rough (pictured second right in 1969 with John McVie, Danny Kirwan, Mick Fleetwood, and Jeremy Spencer)

The band continued with a transformed line-up featuring a core group of Fleetwood, Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, John McVie and Christine McVie. This phase gave rise to their huge albums Fleetwood Mac and Rumours.

Liam said after repeated attempts to contact his father and get his recognition, he went to the High Court in 2017 in a DNA battle to prove he was Green's son - and admitted it was the 'happiest day of my life' when his paternity was proven. He now believes the electro-shock therapy Green was given in the 1970s for his mental health issues, damaged his brain and prevented him being a dad to his son. Support worker Liam said Green and his mother Janina had a 'rocky' relationship after their first meeting in 1980 and that the musician used to kick her out of the house.

Wanting a father: Liam said he grew up worshipping the co-founder of the iconic band and that he was desperate for the star to reunite with him (pictured in a school photo)

The pair were not together when Liam was born, with Liam claiming Green slammed the door in Janina's face when she visited his home to introduce him to his son. Liam was raised by his grandmother Maureen Firlej after a struggling Janina signed over parental control of her son. He recalls that Green rarely visited him, but once appeared at his nursery school with 'wild hair and long nails' with staff telling the musician he was 'scaring' the children. Liam knew who his father was at a young age and said he would dance around the living room to his songs.

His grandmother Maureen also attempted to persuade Green to contact his son and pay child maintenance, to which Green allegedly responded that she 'couldn't prove' he didn't look after his son. Rock legend Liam claimed Green slammed the door in Janina's face when she visited his home to introduce him to his son (pictured 1985)

Liam revealed in his early 20s, he was given an address and phone number thought to be Green's, and he wrote him several letters. He said Green then rang him with the father and son chatting 'about life' on several calls before Liam lost his phone - with further letters to the star receiving no answer. Liam said he resorted to turning up at one of Green's gigs in 2010 but claims he was banned from speaking to him.

Tragic loss: Liam said he resorted to turning up at one of Green's gigs in 2010 but claims he was banned from speaking to him (Green pictured in 1969)

Last-ditch attempt: The star's son said in desperation in January 2015, he decided to turn up at Green's home in Canvey Island, Essex to ask for a DNA test - but was rebuffed. The star's son said in desperation in January 2015, he decided to turn up at Green's home in Canvey Island, Essex to ask for a DNA test. He claims Green 'hid behind the door' and appeared fearful before saying he was in poor health. Liam said when questioned about his son, Green said he 'didn't know about that' and tried to contact Janina on the phone.

In his quest to be recognised by his father, Liam met up with original Fleetwood Mac bass player Bob Brunning - who died in 2011- to discuss his father, as well as writing to solicitors and messaging Green's family members on Facebook. He told The Mirror: 'I feel upset that he's dead – but also so angry that I was never given the opportunity to have a father in my life (pictured as a child)

Liam now has a relationship with one of Green's daughters, Rosebud, who the star shares with ex wife Jane Samuels - but said he still feels like the 'black sheep' of the family.

MailOnline has contacted representatives for Peter Green and Fleetwood Mac for comment.

Now Liam has proven he is indeed Green's son, he may be entitled to some of Green's estate, but details of his will have not been revealed yet.

Memory: Liam recalls that Green rarely visited him as a child, but once appeared at his nursery school with 'wild hair and long nails' with staff telling the musician he was 'scaring' the children (Green pictured in 1996)

Liam said he is now working on a documentary about his father's stint in Munich where he took LSD at a party. This incident was seen as a significant point in decline of Green's mental health. Green remerged from obscurity on a number of occasions, forming the Peter Green Splinter Group in the late 1990s with Nigel Watson and Cozy Powell. They released nine albums between 1997 and 2004.

In his footsteps: Liam now has a relationship with one of Green's daughters, Rosebud, who the star shares with ex wife Jane Samuels - but said he still feels like the 'black sheep' of the family. In 1998, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame along with other past and present members of Fleetwood Mac. His death was announced on July 25 in a statement from his devastated family, which read: 'It is with great sadness that the family of Peter Green announce his death this weekend, peacefully in his sleep.

Mick Fleetwood paid tribute to his band co-founder, calling Green 'my dearest friend' and said they 'trail blazed one hell of a musical road for so many to enjoy'.

Tragic loss: His death was announced on July 25 in a statement from his devastated family, which read: 'It is with great sadness that the family of Peter Green announce his death this weekend, peacefully in his sleep' (pictured 1960s)

In a statement , 73-year-old Fleetwood said: 'For me, and every past and present member of Fleetwood Mac, losing Peter Green is monumental. 'Peter was the man who started the band Fleetwood Mac along with myself, John McVie, and Jeremy Spencer. 'No one has ever stepped into the ranks of Fleetwood Mac without a reverence for Peter Green and his talent, and to the fact that music should shine bright and always be delivered with uncompromising passion.' Fleetwood added: 'Peter, I will miss you, but rest easy your music lives on. I thank you for asking me to be your drummer all those years ago. We did good, and trail blazed one hell of a musical road for so many to enjoy.

'God speed to you, my dearest friend....... Love Mick Fleetwood.'

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-13-2020, 07:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I feel very sorry for the feller. Sounds as if he's endured a frustrating life. Unfortunately Peter was in no fit state to look after himself for most of his adult life, let alone have a relationship with any children.
Its good to hear he's established a relationship with Rosebud though.

Daily Mail online
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi....html#comments

'I was swept under the rug' (. . .) 'God speed to you, my dearest friend....... Love Mick Fleetwood.'
what an interesting read - but what a sad story. thanks a lot for bringing this to our attention, fuzzy!
Old 09-14-2020, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think this Daily Mirror piece was the original article. It seems to have slightly more detail. Its very interesting these articles say '...one of Green's US daughters'. I wonder if this suggests he had more than one.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebri...reens-22598101

Fleetwood Mac legend Peter Green's secret son forced into DNA battle to prove truth
EXCLUSIVE Liam Firlej had to go to court to prove Green's paternity, after the rockstar abandoned him as a child and refuse to confirm their connection when they finally came face to face

ByEmily Hall
19:27, 29 AUG 2020UPDATED19:28, 29 AUG 2020
CELEBS

Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac (Image: Getty)
The secret son of Fleetwood Mac legend Peter Green today tells how the troubled star’s refusal to acknowledge him drove him to a DNA court battle.

Liam Firlej, 34, grew up believing the world-renowned blues guitarist was his father – and had abandoned him as a baby after dumping his mum. In childhood he hero worshipped the rock idol from afar, playing air guitar to his songs such as Black Magic Woman and Need Your Love So Bad – and yearning in vain for him to come back into his life. But when Liam finally met him face-to-face in his late 20s, he was left heartbroken.

Ailing Green, whose mental health had been wrecked by LSD, fobbed off his plea to admit he was his dad.

Now, a month after the Sixties icon’s death at 73, Liam reveals he finally found out the truth in 2017 in a High Court DNA case. But he says that has still not made up for the years of psychological anguish he went through. And he feels his runaway father’s music will haunt him forever.

“I feel upset that he’s dead – but also so angry that I was never given the opportunity to have a father in my life,” he says.
“I feel like I was swept under the rug. I used to try to forget about him and the whole situation.
“It would work for about six months, then I would keep on hearing the music and think ‘I just can’t escape this.’ It still drives me insane.”

Green quit the group after just three years following heavy use of LSD – and after several line-up changes Fleetwood Mac went on to become mainstream musical giants. By the time the guitarist met Liam’s mum in Richmond, South West London, around 1980, he had undergone electroconvulsive therapy for drug-induced schizophrenia, spending time in and out of psychiatric hospitals.

Green was in his 30s and Janina was just 18. They were together for several years before she fell pregnant.
“They were on a love rollercoaster together,” says Liam. “It seems he didn’t treat mum very well. He used to kick her out of the house. The relationship was rocky.” She was apart from him when Liam was born. And Liam was told when she went to his home to show him his son he slammed the door in her face.

Struggling Janina then signed parental control of her son to her mother Maureen Firlej who became Liam’s legal guardian. Green rarely tried to see his son. But Liam recalls being told the star once turned up at his nursery school with wild hair and long nails. Staff told him he was scaring the children.

“I was told who my dad was at a very young age,” says Liam. “When I was about seven I’d imagine he would come and be my father again and him disappearing was just a mistake.

"I thought maybe he didn’t know I existed, but that obviously wasn’t the case. I used to dance around to his tracks in the living room and play air guitar and stuff like that.
“But obviously my father was never going to come. It was a whole letdown.
“It was almost psychologically abusive to me as I used to hear him everywhere. Every time I’d hear a song it would bring up bad memories.
“One of the major things that made me need to prove who my father was the fact I couldn’t escape the music.
“And it’s still upsetting to this day that I didn’t really have parents and I don’t feel part of any family.

His gran Maureen, now 83, tried in vain to persuade Green – who was worth around £12million when he died in July – to accept responsibility for his son.
“She told me she wanted him to pay child maintenance. She’d say ‘why don’t you look after your son?’, and he’d say ‘you can’t prove it.’

Liam became a support worker for vulnerable adults while the calling to have his father acknowledge him remained strong. He met up with original band member Bob Brunning, who died in 2011, to discuss his dad. And he wrote to the star’s solicitors, and messaged family members on Facebook. In his early 20s, Liam was given an address thought to be Green’s and he wrote him several letters, including his phone number. One day, Green rang out of the blue and they chatted about life.

Several calls followed, but Liam lost his phone and further letters went unanswered. He even turned up at one of his dad’s blues gigs in 2010 but was banned from speaking to him. Then in January 2015, desperate for an answer, he decided to turn up at Green’s house in Canvey Island, Essex, to ask for a DNA test, saying: “Do you know who I am? I’m your son.”

The reaction wasn’t promising. “He hid behind the door a bit and seemed fearful of what was going on,” said Liam.
“He told me about his health, but any conversation about me he’d go ‘oh well I don’t know about that’.
“He remembered my mum and tried to get her on the phone but I don’t think he’d have even believed it was her anyway.
"He said he wasn’t doing too great. I felt p****d off. I thought I’d never get recognition from him. It was like hitting my head against a brick wall.” Two years later, Liam went to High Court in a final bid for proof.

He said it was “the happiest day of my life” when he was finally vindicated – and he now has a family relationship with one of Green’s US daughters, Rosebud, from his first marriage to Jane Samuels in 1978
“But I still feel it’s like I’m the black sheep – even though I feel very close to my gran.”

Now he believes his dad’s mental state – and his fame – also helped keep them apart. He thinks the shock treatment Green was given in the Seventies for his mental ill health probably damaged the musician’s brain for good and robbed him of a father. And he believes the drug-fuelled music industry and solicitors around Green stopped the star seeing him.

“He was taken on a rollercoaster of fame,” said Liam. “The band made it big very quickly and my father received a lot of peer pressure to dabble in drugs. The three years he was in that band ruined his life.”

The positive paternity test now means Liam may be entitled to a portion of Green’s estate – but details of the will are yet to be disclosed.

Liam is now working on a documentary about his dad’s time in Munich where he took doses of LSD at a party that were later seen as a crucial point in his mental health decline. Liam said he hopes his story gives hope to others searching for fathers, adding: “I wish to dedicate my achievement to all those going through the same psychological struggle I went through.'

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 12-06-2020, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Poor guy. I always thought his and Danny's stories were the saddest.