Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:00 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Kirk Hammett has bought Peter Green's 59' Les Paul

Is it true?
http://guitarism-tr.blogspot.com/201...ns-greeny.html
Old 08-01-2014, 07:08 AM
Junior Ledgie

The same story (and photograph) features in the current issue of Guitar & Bass magazine, where they only say they've heard it "from reliable sources", so it's not certain yet.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the post, kowk!

This is interesting. It's hard to say if it's that Les Paul, but from the photos it certainly has the same marks of wear and tear, and two different knobs.

I guess it is in good hands with Hammett. Whoever spends his/her money on it would keep it safe. And Peter has said several times that he has no interst in it and don't want it back.

It is funny to "follow" that guitar's journey.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes Kirk has purchased Peter's 1959 Les Paul I can say for certain. He concluded the deal when he was here in the UK for Metallica's Glastonbury gig.

My friend John has been the custodian of the guitar recently and another friend of mine Richard helped the transition from the previous owner in Florida to Kirk, via London (and Manchester).

Nice to see the instrument in a players hands again as a working instrument. It's had a few hard years but it is now playing very well and sounds great. Glad it's gone to a Les Paul 'Burst enthusiast. It will be looked after I can assure you but it has and will be gigged by Kirk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH76DQiKgTk
Old 08-03-2014, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default greeny with a new owner

From the video, it appears that the guitar went to the rhythm section
Old 12-31-2015, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Guitar World

Kirk Hammett Talks About His Prize: Peter Green and Gary Moore's Les Paul — See It In Action

http://www.guitarworld.com/kirk-hamm...t-action/25904

Metallica’s Kirk Hammett owns one of the most iconic and revered electric guitars: a 1959 Les Paul Standard that was previously owned by Fleetwood Mac founder Peter Green and, subsequently, by his disciple, Irish rocker Gary Moore. Hammett, a fan of both guitarists, purchased the guitar for a reported $2 million.

In the clip below from VH-1’s That After Show, Hammett talks about the guitar during a roundtable with guitarists Michael Schenker and Damon Johnson, of Thin Lizzy and Black Star Riders.

“It’d been on the market for a few years,” Hammett says, “but the price was just way too high.

“And then I kind of waltzed into a situation where the owner of the guitar needed money. And of course I totally took advantage of the situation, worked out a deal and bought it, all within an hour’s time, because I was so friggin’ blown away by the fact that I was holding a guitar that Peter Green played in Fleetwood Mac and then Gary Moore played for, like, 25 years after.”

As Hammett notes, part of this particular guitar’s mystique is down to its distinctive warm-but-trebly tone.

“It’s a unique guitar in that the pickup is turned around,” he says. “It’s facing the opposite way, so when you play with both pickups on in the middle position, it creates an out-of-phase sound that sounds like a Fender Stratocaster.”

Green attributed the tone to his own tinkering, claiming he’d reversed a magnet in the neck-position humbucker. In another telling of the story, a repairmen accidentally rewound one of the pickups—it’s not certain which—in reverse. This is the version Hammett tells in the video.

In all likelihood, the alteration occurred during the guitar’s manufacture. Noted guitar designer and builder Jol Dantzig had a chance to examine the guitar firsthand in June 1984, while it was owned by Moore, and found that “the magnet was reversed on one pickup,” he wrote. “Because the pickup internals looked undisturbed, I concluded that it must have been a mistake at the factory.” Dantzig adds that Joe Bonamassa owns an original-condition Burst with the same error.

Green bought the Les Paul second-hand for the equivalent of $300 and used it during his time with John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers when he took over from Eric Clapton. He continued to play it when he formed Fleetwood Mac in July 1967 with former Bluesbreaker bassist John McVie and drummer Mick Fleetwood, using it to write and record many of the band’s greatest songs, including “Oh Well,” “The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Prong Crown),” “Albatross” and “Black Magic Woman.”

Shortly before he left Fleetwood Mac in 1970, Green loaned the guitar to Moore, who at the time was in his teens and still unknown. The Irish guitarist had been a fan of Green’s and befriended the guitarist. Moore eventually purchased the Les Paul at Green’s request—so that “it would have a good home,” Green said—for about $300, the same price Green paid for it. Moore used the guitar for much of his career, including on his 1973 solo debut, and during his 1974 stint in Thin Lizzy and his tenure with Colosseum II from 1975 to 1978. The guitar can also be heard on “Parisienne Walkways,” Moore’s best-known song, from his 1978 album, Back on the Streets.

Money problems forced Moore to sell the guitar in 2006 for somewhere between $750,000 and $1.2 million, according to various reports online. It was purchased by Phil Winfield at Maverick Music and, reportedly, later put up for sale on the company's website for $2 million. Since then it has been owned by one or more private collectors before Hammett purchased it in 2014 from Richard Henry Guitars.

When a fan asked Hammett via Twitter why he bought it he replied, “The best tribute is that it’s being played again instead of being neglected by people who only bought it for the investment.” Hammett has been seen performing with the guitar to play Metallica’s cover of “Whiskey in the Jar,” the traditional Irish song popularized as a rock song by Thin Lizzy in the early Seventies.

The clip also includes a conversation with Schenker about his choice of the Gibson Flying V, the model most associated with him.

In addition, below this video, you can see the Peter Green Les Paul in action in an earlier video, prior to Hammett purchasing it. It shows Phil Harris talking about the guitar’s history and doing a little performing. Harris says he is the custodian of the guitar for the owner. Take a look.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Musicradar

Watch Kirk Hammett play Peter Green's 1959 Gibson Les Paul on new Metallica album
By Michael Astley-Brown 18 days ago Guitars

Guitarist records Hardwired solo on iconic guitar

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...a-album-641659

Last week, Metallica dropped Hardwired, a breakneck three minutes chock-full of palm-muted machine-gun riffery - and it turns out Kirk Hammett's guitar solo was played on Peter Green's legendary 1959 Les Paul, judging from a new in-the-studio clip.

At 6:44 in the video above, Kirk can be seen tracking the solo on 'Greeny' itself - we're not sure whether he used it on the final take, but it's concrete proof that the wah-happy guitarist used it on the album.

Elsewhere, the video depicts the writing and recording of the new Metallica single - expect more of these in the run-up to the release of Hardwired… To Self-Destruct in November.

Back in May, Kirk gave us an in-depth interview on how Jimmy Page encouraged him to buy Greeny, and his plans for the fabled guitar.

I'm not a guy who'll buy a guitar just to stare at it and covet it; that is the death of a vintage guitar

"Guitars are built to be played. The more they're played, the better they sound. The more they're played, the more reactive they are.

"I bought Greeny and, literally, by the next show she was up on stage in front of 40 to 50,000 people, being sweat on all over by me.

"I'm on my way to the studio right now. I texted my tech and said, 'Have Greeny in tune, we're using her today,' and I'm going to try and use all of the three main sounds that are in her."
Old 10-24-2017, 07:38 AM

Watch Kirk Hammett Play Fleetwood Mac's "Oh Well" on the Peter Green Les Paul

Metallica are in England at the moment, getting ready for their October 24 show at London's magnificent O2 Arena. Ergo, it's no surprise that Kirk Hammett took some time to visit the gang at the UK's Guitar Interactive.
In the quick clip below, Hammett is chatting with GI's Jonathan Graham while clutching his 1959 Les Paul Standard, which—as any little schoolboy knows—was previously owned by Fleetwood Mac's Peter Green and, subsequently, by his disciple, Gary Moore.

"We just got chatting about the guitar, and he just made someone go grab it," Graham said. "That's why I was so speechless; I couldn't believe that guitar was in front of me!"
Hammett even plays a bit of Fleetwood Mac's "Oh Well," a 1969 Green composition from Fleetwood Mac's Then Play On.
You'll notice that the guitar is unplugged, but Hammett can't help but praise its tone.

"It sounds like the recording," Hammett says. "It's crazy. It has its tone already in it. You can plug this guitar into virtually any normal-sounding amp and you'll get a great sound—because it's all in here. There are some guitars that have the tone inside, but you have to bring it out, find the sweet spot... This guitar, you plug it in, and it's already there."
Of course, this reminds us of something Nigel Tufnel says in This Is Spinal Tap.

Shortly before he left Fleetwood Mac in 1970, Green loaned the guitar to Moore, who had been a fan of Green’s. Moore eventually bought the guitar at Green’s request—so that “it would have a good home,” Green said—for about $300, the same price Green paid for it. Moore used it for much of his career, and it can be heard on “Parisienne Walkways,” his best-known song. Money problems forced him to sell the guitar in 2006 for between $750,000 and $1.2 million, according to various reports.

It was purchased by Phil Winfield at Maverick Music and, reportedly, later put up for sale on the company's website for $2 million. Since then it has been owned by one or more private collectors before Hammett bought it in 2014 from Richard Henry Guitars. When a fan asked Hammett via Twitter why he bought it, he replied, “The best tribute is that it’s being played again instead of being neglected by people who only bought it for the investment.”

http://www.guitarworld.com/artist-ne...les-paul/31963
Old 10-24-2017, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

. . . what an arrogant air pump this is, making a monkey out of himself - he can't even play THAT riff properly . . . oh well!!!

(i pray to god that peter won't be watching this!)
Old 02-11-2018, 09:22 AM

Played, smashed, burnt: Epic rock guitars at ABBA Museum
February 11, 2018

FEW other guitars have inspired more wild stage behaviour in rock music than this very Fender Stratocaster.

Jimi Hendrix famously smashed it up after performing ‘Wild Thing’ at the 1967 Monterey festival, before setting it ablaze with lighter fluid as bewildered fans watched.

Today it is one of more than 40 historic signature electric guitars glistening behind glass in Stockholm’s ABBA Museum – not the originals albeit, but exact copies replicated down to each storied scratch, nick and even burn mark.

Not far away is a copy of Clapton’s worn Fender Stratocaster, known as ‘Blackie’, famously heard on hits like ‘Layla’ and ‘I Shot the Sheriff’.

Clapton used parts from three other guitars he bought in 1970 to create the original, which sold at auction for a mind-boggling 960,000 dollars in 2004.

A selection of history-worn Les Pauls and Fender Telecasters at the ‘Guitars of the Stars’ exhibit in Stockholm

Peter Green’s iconic Gibson Les Paul 1959

Eric Clapton’s famed electric guitar ‘Blackie’ (centre) on display at the ‘Guitars of the Stars’ exhibit in Stockholm

Guitar enthusiast and curator Claes af Geijerstam strums one of his electric guitars

It had a mark, said guitar enthusiast Claes af Geijerstam, who owns the collection and curated the ‘Guitars of the Stars’ exhibit featuring replicas of epic guitars played by BB King, Peter Green, Slash and Jeff Beck.

“I’ve played all of them, sometimes with friends,” says af Geijerstam, a former guitarist with 1960s Swedish pop group Ola & The Janglers and later a sound designer for ABBA.

“You have to get the guitar going, the tonewood has to live.” Af Geijerstam started collecting his own guitars and bought other originals but changed tack when he “realized that custom shops were making exact replicas” that were more affordable.

The originals are often kept by their owners, and when up for sale fetch huge sums, he said.

Some of the signature guitars on display have been signed and played by guitarists who made them famous.

Among af Geijerstam’s favourites in the exhibit was a Gibson Les Paul owned by Slash “because it’s so worn,” and a 1959 Les Paul Pearly Gates used by Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top with its “wonderful tone, and like [Gibbons] says ‘it opens the gates of heaven when you hear Pearly Gates sing’.”

Hendrix was one of the greats along with Gary Moore, Jeff Beck and Rory Gallagher who played on Fleetwood Mac founder Peter Green’s iconic Gibson Les Paul 1959 – also on display.

Blues legend BB King once said it had “the sweetest tone I ever heard.”

The original is owned by Metallica’s Kirk Hammett.

Several showcases feature audio clips with a story from the guitar’s past, for instance why BB King named his guitars ‘Lucille’, what inspired Deep Purple’s ‘Smoke on the Water’ with guitarist Ritchie Blackmore’s well-known riff, and how singer-songwriter Sheryl Crow came into possession of a replica 1959 Fender Custom Telecaster.

The exhibit includes videos of how guitars are made, and a quiz compiled by af Geijerstam.

“Regretfully,” he said, “the guitars cannot be in the open due to the risk of damage or parts going missing.” – Text & Photos: dpa

https://borneobulletin.com.bn/played...t-abba-museum/