The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default New book on the Music of Peter Green coming out (press release)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Hwolf59@yahoo.com

DEFINITIVE REFERENCE GUIDE OF ALL RECORDED MUSIC BY FLEETWOOD MAC FOUNDER PETER GREEN TO BE PUBLISHED IN FEBRUARY

February 01, 2017 – Smiling Corgi Press, an independent publisher, announced today the forthcoming publication of A Love That Burns, the definitive reference guide of all recorded music performed by British blues guitarist and Fleetwood Mac founder Peter Green, as a band member, band leader, solo artist and guest musician from 1966 to 1973. The three volume set from debut author Richard J. Orlando will be released in February 2017.

Totaling more than 1,100 pages, A Love That Burns offers a “biography” of an artist through the study of the music that inspired him and the work that he created during one of his most productive periods. Across the three volumes, 1,000 performances of 378 individual songs are detailed and reviewed, including:

• Every official release on 45 or LP, including all available outtakes and alternates from those sessions, and his guest session work with other artists;
• All surviving performances recorded for BBC radio and television, most of which have never been officially released; and
• Every known concert performance captured on tape, including five club shows Green played while a member of John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers in 1967.

Not simply an encyclopedic catalog of song titles and dates, the recording sessions and concerts are placed in chronological order; knotted tour histories are untangled; recording dates, song titles and composer credits are corrected; and the ever proliferating, conflicting and contradictory stories told over the years are compared and placed alongside known facts.

Richard J. Orlando says: “Peter Green was an influential figure in the British blues movement and one of the greatest guitarists of all time. Though the bulk of his music reviewed in these three volumes was originally recorded 50 years ago, it is still being ‘discovered’ today by listeners old and new. I hope this book will provide a deeper understanding and appreciation of Green’s music for both longtime fans and those just now learning of this ‘hidden’ treasure, as well as spur them to delve deeper not only into his music, but also the music that inspired him.”

The three volumes will be available for purchase as an iBook or Kindle in February 2017 at
SmilingCorgiPress.com. Each sold separately for $9.95 each or as a full set for $25.95.

Review Copies and Interviews Available Upon Request.

###

About Richard J. Orlando:

A lifelong fan of film and music, Richard came late to the music of Peter Green in the mid-nineteen nineties when a radio program included Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac in an episode devoted to British blues. That four song introduction led Richard to first mailing audio cassettes, then CDs and finally sharing MP3 files around the globe. He has been researching and writing his debut book A Love That Burns for more than a decade. What initially began as an individual journey for greater understanding of the music that so moved him, eventually became a way to give back to the community of fans. He lives with his wife, son and a corgi / sheltie mix in New Jersey.

####

As many of you on The Ledge know, I have been working on this for many years now, and I am thrilled to say that it is finally ready for release.
This project has taken me on an amazing, enlightening, journey; one that would not have been possible without the kindness and generosity of so many fellow Peter Green / Fleetwood Mac fans around the world who without hesitation offered me assistance (materially, spiritually and intellectually) and friendship, and I hope that this work honors the faith that you showed me.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 01-31-2017, 11:31 AM
Junior Ledgie

I know Rich has been working on this for years and the bits I've seen have been excellent. This promises to be the definitive look at Peter's work as well as an insight into his influences. Highly recommended.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:06 PM
Ledgie

Looking forward to this!
Old 01-31-2017, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Like ash1, I've seen parts of Rich's book over the years and the thoroughness and attention to detail is remarkable. No question that this is the definitive work on the music of Peter Green through his early solo years as well as of early Fleetwood Mac. Another "Highly Recommended" here! Great work, Rich!
Old 01-31-2017, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is great news!
Thank you so much for doing this, BklynBlue!

I will order these books asap! Are they available as "paper" books, or kindle only?

Best regards,
Daniel
Old 01-31-2017, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As of right now, they are only available as e-books - I will investigating the possibility of print copies in the coming months.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and encouragement

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 02-01-2017, 04:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

hi rich!
so, finally . . . !
like dansven i would greatly welcome a printed edition - though i'm afraid this might be quite a costly affair, considering 1100 pages across 3 volumes.
anyroad, congratulations on the finished work - i'm very much looking forward to it and i wish you a mighty success!
martin
Old 02-03-2017, 01:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

BTW, here's a link to the site where it's available:

Smiling Corgi Press
Old 02-03-2017, 02:50 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default excellent book !!!

I'm impressed by the great work !!!!!
Old 02-03-2017, 04:01 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default All Over Again - author Carl B. Adams, not B.B. King ?

Information from this book about the author of this song:
- All Over Again ( B.B. King)

But maybe B.B. King was only a performer?

I'd like to share some details from other sources:

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/.../updates/13352

22. All Over Again (2:35)
(Carl B. Adams)
Originally ABC-Paramount single 10724 (1965)
℗ 1965 Geffen Records

Recorded at either RCA Victor Studios or Universal Studios, Chicago, March 3, 1965

Duke Jethro (organ); Carl Adams (trumpet); Lawrence Burdine (alto sax); Barney Hubert (baritone sax); Vernon Slater (tenor sax); Leo Lauchie (bass); Sonny Freeman (drums).

Produced by Johnny Pate

or
http://www.allmusic.com/album/ladies...g-mw0002410419

Title
Composer

All Over Again
Carl Adams

Performer
B.B. King

2:35
Old 02-03-2017, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

All of the information that you cite is correct. Although it should be noted that the original 45 release does list both “C. Adams” and “B.B. King” as composers.
However, that being said, I would like to clarify the information cited from the book –

The names that appear after the songs titles of numbers that Green and Fleetwood Mac covered are the names of the performers whose version of the song they mostly drew from.
In example, the name after ‘Homework’ is Otis Rush, not, Al Perkins, who wrote the song.
I realize that this may seem unfair to the composers, but in the case of many of the songs, the versions that inspired them was itself a cover of an earlier version.

It is interesting that you zeroed in on ‘All Over Again’ as almost all references found now on the Internet list the song as “Traditional”.
This seems to be because that was how it was listed, and continues to be listed on the second Paul Butterfield Blues Band LP, “East – West” which came out less than a year after the King recording. Compilations containing the Butterfield recording continue to list it this way.

I have put up “Part One” of a post concerning the history of the song on the book site – https://smilingcorgipress.com/catego...er-the-covers/ - with some duplication of the details provided by Krzysztof.

I thank you for your kind words and I will also be putting up a section (a hopefully small section) on the site where I can post corrections to any errors that sharp-eyed (and sharp-eared) readers may find.

E. Vedder
Old 02-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default All Over Again

I like Butterfield's version, but I love Greeny's version from New Orleans most of all.
For me it is one of the best tune ever so I paid attention to the description of this song unwittingly while looking trough the book :-).
It is only my little remark concerning my beloved song :-)
Your great work deserves all my appreciation !!!!
Stay Green !!!!
Old 02-04-2017, 04:31 PM
Junior Ledgie

Thank you for all your hard work Rich!
To be able to have your book as a compodium to go with the music is outstanding. I've always wondered how much is out there that I don't know about.

Hats off to you Sir!
Old 02-13-2017, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default All Over Again

I have posted the second part of a further exploration of the ‘All Over Again’ aka ‘I’ve Got a Mind to Give Up Living’ https://smilingcorgipress.com/all-ov...living-part-2/
One of the covers that has long interested me, admittedly more for the mystery of its origins, rather than the musical value (though others may disagree) is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWPwkH_o1FY

Said to be an early 1968 recording of The Black Cat Bones, featuring both Paul Kossoff and Simon Kirke, if that is in fact correct, it would pre-date our first recording by Fleetwood Mac (though that is not proof that they weren’t already performing the number) –
I do not believe that it is Kossoff playing lead guitar, but the tangled history of the band makes it difficult to determine who it may actually be.
Anyone more familiar with the guitar styles of Paul Kossoff or Rod Price (one possibility if it is not Kossoff) ?

E. Vedder
Old 02-14-2017, 06:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i totally agree with what drummer frank perry states in his commentary on the black cat bones' "marquee" recording: i have more than just doubts about the lead guitarist in question having been paul kossoff! this is miles away from kossoff's style of playing, as anyone familiar with his recorded legacy can easily confirm. i can't say anything about the identity of rod price, though.