User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
There's still another mix too, which is my favorite. The cassette version has more vocals up-front in the mix. I had the cassette first and thought it was weird how different the vinyl version was when I finally got the album. I don't have access to it right now or I would share it. Someone else on here probably has it though. Love how the synthesizers are recorded and mixed. They almost have the Tusk approach in how they are produced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Yep. I had the cassette version first, and all the guitar licks at the end, aren't on it(like they are on the CD).
Actually, it's almost as if the first pressing of the vinyl had the lesser arrangement, with future pressings getting the fuller treatment. I have both versions on vinyl.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Heart

I've always loved Straight Back- definitely one of my top 5 favorite Stevie-penned Mac tunes. I don't have a whole lot to say about it otherwise- it's just a great song. I put it in the same category as Sisters, Gold Dust Woman, Rhiannon, Destiny Rules, and Illume. To me, Stevie's mystical rock Mac songs are Stevie at her absolute best.

However, I don't hold any hope it'll ever be dusted off for a tour- but who knows? Sara & Sisters Of The Moon returned against all odds; Beautiful Child & Storms were some of the most unlikely tracks to ever grace a 21st century Mac stage, too. Stranger things have happened. Like Christine's return!
Old 05-02-2015, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders8323 View Post
Love the Mirage album, but Straight Back is my least favorite song on it. In response to the original poster's question, yes, I think the song showcases a brilliant Nicks vocal, but, unfortunately, that vocal is paired with one of the most tuneless songs in the Buckingham/Nicks lineup.
It's hardly tuneless. One of my favorites by her. I love the way it builds and all those background harmonies get me every time. Plus Stevie really belts it out here. It's one of the top 3 on the album in my my opinion.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Straight Back is one of those album tracks that should have made it to the stage. When touring for a new album it would be nice if each of them featured at least two of their new songs.

Christine and Lindsey typically perform at least two or more new songs. But on the Mirage tour, as well as the Tango tour, Stevie only featured only new song. Only Gypsy was performed, but That's Alright or Straight Back would have fit in quite nicely. The song seems no more vocally demanding than any other songs she sings.

Even though they've thrown in some curve ball songs here and there in their sets, they are fairly conservative in their selections, pandering to casual fans whose stunted fandom may only consist of Rumours and Greatest Hits.

They subscribe to a "if it works, drive it into the ground" and "people don't want to hear new songs" mentality, severely limiting their flexibility. But in this latter stage in the band's lifespan, to expect any radical shift in their manner is senseless. Mining their overlooked back catalog is not the objective now.

I just hope we get one more album of new music from all five fireflies.
But strangely, I don't want to see them promote it on the road in the massive scale of their current tour. I can only imagine the physical/mental toll it takes to fulfill such a demanding schedule, even though they are the consummate road warriors.

In my dream they do a Dance-like move and film a special show featuring the majority of their new album, along with rarely or never performed songs from their catalog, release it as a CD/DVD.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 05-03-2015 at 03:21 AM..
Old 05-03-2015, 03:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Straight Back is one of those album tracks that should have made it to the stage. When touring for a new album it would be nice if each of them featured at least two of their new songs. Christine and Lindsey typically perform two or more new songs. But on the Mirage tour, as well as the Tango tour, Stevie only featured new song. Gypsy was performed, but That's Alright or Straight Back would have fit in quite nicely. Straight Back seems no more vocally demanding than any other songs she sings.

Even though they've thrown in some curve ball songs here and there, they are fairly conservative and close to the rails in set lists, pandering more to casual fans whose stunted fandom may only go as deep as Rumours and Greatest Hits. They subscribe to a "if it works, drive it into the ground" and "people don't want to hear new songs" mentality, which severely limits their flexibility. But in this latter stage in the band's lifespan, to expect any radical shift in their manner is senseless.

I just hope we get one more album of new music from all five fireflies. But strangely, I don't want to see them promote it on the road in the massive scale of their current tour. I can only imagine the physical/mental toll it takes to fulfill such a demanding schedule, even though they are the consummate road warriors. In my dream they do a Dance-like move and film a special show featuring the majority of their new album, along with rarely or never performed songs from their catalog, release it as a CD/DVD.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 05-03-2015 at 03:33 AM..
Old 05-03-2015, 06:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I love Straight Back. It is a favorite because it scores perfectly in every category.

Lyrics 10
Singing 10
Harmonies 10
Music 10
Arrangement 10
Intensity 10
Mac sound 10

So many classic moments in this song. Chris backing Stevie vocally on a record is not that common. But the line "wolf on the run" gives me goose bumps everytime.

The way Lindsey and Chris play off each other before the bridge is so classic Mac.

Stevie's singing is calm but she turns it out in the end practically screaming STRAIGHT BACK

And its one of Stevie's better writing songs.

IMHO how can anyone not like this song
Old 05-03-2015, 07:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^ Agree with your 10/10s . I also love this song. It has a beautiful vocal from Stevie - a perfect Mac pop tune
Old 05-03-2015, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Straight Back, it wouldn't have been out of place on Bella Donna. Great vocal, great lyrics and great musically as well. Stevie knocks it out of the park on Mirage. Imagine how much better than album would be if a weaker song was substituted with Smile At You.....

Old 05-03-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I love Straight Back, it wouldn't have been out of place on Bella Donna. Great vocal, great lyrics and great musically as well. Stevie knocks it out of the park on Mirage. Imagine how much better than album would be if a weaker song was substituted with Smile At You.....
Agreed. She was in rare form at this time. She was writing some amazing music. Drop Oh Diane, and add Smile At You...
Old 05-03-2015, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've never been a huge fan of Straight Back, but its pretty good.

I've always felt there was a musical link between Rhiannon > Gold Dust Woman > Sisters of the Moon > Straight Back
there's something about the vibe of those songs that kind of links them together.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always loved Straight Back. Love how Stevie sings it. Its just one of those awesome songs. I wish she still wrote stuff like this & sang like this too. Its a great song.
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 05-03-2015, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
It's hardly tuneless. One of my favorites by her. I love the way it builds and all those background harmonies get me every time. Plus Stevie really belts it out here. It's one of the top 3 on the album in my my opinion.
I give a lot of credit to Lindsey because his finger prints are all over the arrangement of this song, and Ken and Richard.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like the "hours and hours of waiting for you" part.

Michele
Old 05-04-2015, 02:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post

I've always felt there was a musical link between Rhiannon > Gold Dust Woman > Sisters of the Moon > Straight Back
there's something about the vibe of those songs that kind of links them together.
With a different arrangement, Straight Back would sound a lot like SOTM... More than it already does! Could have been very rock. I like the vocal and the lyrics but I'm not crazy about the arrangement/music.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Straight Back, such an awesome song and a wasted opportunity for this song to shine in their set list.