User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-30-2021, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Default Mirage show bad edits

First of all I am not flaming the Mirage show. Its these concerts that made me a fan. I think they are brilliant and capture the band at a pivotal phase. It was right before all the solo careers blew up the band. It was also the last Mac shows without back up singers, etc. The show is not lip synced either. We also get a real camera crew on stage without that annoying floating camera buzzing around the stage. They were on top of their game with their age, beauty, and talent.
Having said that, there are always been a few bad edits that drove me nuts. Notice how they rearranged GYOW as to appear to be the encore instead of Sisters. You can see a quick mili-second of Stevie bowing with a tambourine at the end of Sisters meaning the footage was clipped at the wrong place. At the end of Sisters right before the last verse, there is a major edit for an unknown reason. Did the band screw up? Suddenly the music cuts and then back in with Stevie at the mic.
This concert was so good its a shame the HBO show was only allowed for about 60 minutes. I know its a pipe dream of all of us but a full Mirage show released on video would be the biggest gift all of us fans ever wanted.
Also, does anyone know if this particular LA show is the only time Stevie throws in: sister, brother, sister brother...of the moon. I've listened to many Mirage shows and never heard her say brother again.
Was anyone at these LA shows? Didn't David say the top part of Christine's keyboard was not plugged in? Does anyone think that was a real joint Lindsey was smoking during a recorded concert? Or was it just for show? Is it me or does it appear that Chris gives Stevie side eye when Stevie comes on stage for YMLF (right before the singing starts). Chris backing Lindsey on Im so afraid is incredible.

Give me your opinions and knowledge!

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-30-2021 at 05:17 PM..
Old 05-30-2021, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I didn't know GYOW was rearranged! You're right, just looked for the setlist of the show on oct 21 1982 at The Forum, Inglewood, CA, and I found this

"Second Hand News"
"The Chain"
"Don't Stop"
"Dreams"
"Oh Well"
"Rhiannon"
"Brown Eyes"
"Eyes of the World"
"Gypsy"
"Love in Store"
"Not That Funny"
"Never Going Back Again"
"Landslide"
"Tusk"
"Sara"
"Hold Me"
"You Make Loving Fun"
"I'm So Afraid"
"Go Your Own Way"
Encore
"Blue Letter"
"Sisters of the Moon"
"Songbird"

I got the VHS video and I understand they had to make it fit in less than 2 hours (the fastest tape speed got the best resolution at that time), but the entire video is about 70 minutes, or so I remember. They could include more songs. And I don't understand why they rearranged not only GYOW, but several songs.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/fleet...a-3d3a117.html
Old 05-30-2021, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It always bugged me that they use this footage of John pulling his bass neck up and down to the music. They show it more than once, too. One of the times, it doesn't match the music at all(I'd have to watch it again to tell you which songs it's on).

For BWBoy, it's at my house in the south of France, so I can't watch it right now.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, this is littered with clumsy little cuts throughout, isn't it? Is that jarring edit in Sisters Of The Moon about removing a verse to shorten the song?

I've always been frustrated by an out-of-sync section during the guitar solo of Gypsy, where Lindsey's fingers are about clearly about one or two notes ahead of the music.

Also, odd moments of repeated footage, like a shot of the guitar riff in Eyes Of The World, which they reuse, and Lindsey's yelp which pops up at various points.

Still love it though!
Old 06-02-2021, 05:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango87 View Post
Yes, this is littered with clumsy little cuts throughout, isn't it? Is that jarring edit in Sisters Of The Moon about removing a verse to shorten the song?

I've always been frustrated by an out-of-sync section during the guitar solo of Gypsy, where Lindsey's fingers are about clearly about one or two notes ahead of the music.

Also, odd moments of repeated footage, like a shot of the guitar riff in Eyes Of The World, which they reuse, and Lindsey's yelp which pops up at various points.

Still love it though!
The jarring edit on Sisters has always been the most visual because of how the audio reveals a skipped beat. I would agree with your theory except she sung all the verses of the song, correct? Did she throw in some other verse that they cut? Its clear something was cut and they tried to merge the tape together. I wish someone who was at the show would shed some light. My hunch is that the band messed up and they just cut that part out and spliced the tape together.
For those playing at home, I am talking about 5:44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VHAwvD4bPI

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-02-2021 at 05:51 AM..
Old 06-02-2021, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always found the bit at 7:09 intriguing....

Clearly the bit at 5:44 is the splice from two different shows...her hair gives it away
Old 06-03-2021, 04:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I always found the bit at 7:09 intriguing....

Clearly the bit at 5:44 is the splice from two different shows...her hair gives it away
I also used to think that. That means Stevie screwed up. Or maybe the speaking of tongues was so good they put the best of both shows together?
I dont own the Mirage reissue. Does the Mirage show also have this edit?
Old 06-03-2021, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry to be a bit lazy...but while we have a live Mirage thread, I just thought I'd paste this link to Youtuber 'Wings of Pegasus' who's done a watch along analysis of The Chain. I thought it was quite interesting and worth flagging up;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-mXSmHqWQ8

Cheers

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 06-11-2021, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I also used to think that. That means Stevie screwed up. Or maybe the speaking of tongues was so good they put the best of both shows together?
Yes, I think it’s just a splice of the same song from the two nights. A few other songs are spliced, visually or audibly or both. It’s really a rough production from a technology standpoint, very low tech, as if video services were having a special sale that week.
Quote:
I dont own the Mirage reissue. Does the Mirage show also have this edit?
Yep.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-15-2021, 04:57 PM
Senior Ledgie

Something else to consider - the show(s) were being distributed over multiple formats and targets for distribution. Each with its own considerations for length, commercials, target audiences, etc.

Formats - Video (VHS), Laserdisc
Targets - HBO, Home Video, Radio (Westwood One)
Old 06-17-2021, 12:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Does anyone think that was a real joint Lindsey was smoking during a recorded concert?
At what point is this? I've watched the video countless times, but never noticed him smoking anything.

As for length, they could have cut "Not That Funny" (IMO the worst thing on there by far) and had room for at least two other songs, if not three.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
At what point is this? I've watched the video countless times, but never noticed him smoking anything.

As for length, they could have cut "Not That Funny" (IMO the worst thing on there by far) and had room for at least two other songs, if not three.
Oddly, during the song you(and the WORLD) hate(s).

During the "breakdown", John comes over and gets in Lindsey's face, as he's exhaling smoke.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post

Maybe your version its edited out. Its a fairly long smoking scene during NTF. It looks like a joint and John tries to get some smoke to inhale. Prop or not?

Its a fairly long segment that begins when Chris leaves the stage around 4:30. It looks like you fast forwarded this song too much to notice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbrCeJdyPqE

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-17-2021 at 05:27 AM..
Old 06-17-2021, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It looks like you fast forwarded this song too much to notice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbrCeJdyPqE
Truly a sign that he has superb taste!

I've said it a million times, but that was my deal with my friends in high school. They'd tolerate me making them watch Mirage for the millionth time, as long as I fast forwarded through NTF.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Truly a sign that he has superb taste!

I've said it a million times, but that was my deal with my friends in high school. They'd tolerate me making them watch Mirage for the millionth time, as long as I fast forwarded through NTF.
Yeah but NTF had so many cool elements in the song that lots of people liked or commented on like Mick's crazy faces, Micks beer chugs, Lindsey's joint smoking, Christine's clapping and pounding on the upright aka bench piano, and Stevie not on stage. I can see why it was important to include it in the set over Dreams or Rhiannon which had already been done the year before on Stevie's HBO special.
I'll take it just to hear Christine play piano and not even look at the keys. She would be playing/pounding and looking at Lindsey or the audience. So freaking cool.

See.....ITS NOT THAT FUNNY!