User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-03-2023, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
On the one hand, it’s a little disappointing that LBCM was the only new album when the possibilities seemed endless. A lot of what could have beens. Another Rumours band album, another LBCM album, an album with Finn and Campbell, and even a blues album with Mick, John, Rick, and Mike.

However, when I think back to when ITM was somewhat of a miracle, an album and three tours over the past eight years was a blessing. The last eleven years were quite the ride and while we all wish there had been more, her return, at least for me, gave a proper sense closure for Fleetwood Mac.
I raise a glass to this.

But, I see the last tour as a stain on the band's legacy. Without Lindsey, Rick, and Billy on the tour, I feel Jeremy Spencer should have been a special guest. The Eagles did it right with their 40th Anniversary Tour by bringing Bernie Leadon as a special guest and The Stones did it for their 50th with Mick Taylor.

I like Mike and Neil. They were fine performers at my shows. But they had no hand in the creation of the Fleetwood Mac music they were playing. I wish Chris' last tour featured an all FM setlist.

On With The Show is how I'll remember the end of Fleetwood Mac.
Old 01-03-2023, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Too many RUMOURS with Fleetwood Mac. Get it? Haha. See what I did there? Happy New Year, ledgers.
cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I was really praying for BuckVie 2. I’m just so sad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
I too was holding out for a BuckVie II. It's so sad thinking about her leaving the band, coming back, and then departing for what will be forever.
same, this. was really hoping BuckVie will get together one more time. they had such big plans in 2018.

but i'm so grateful that they did stand up firmly and pushed out that album. imagine Chris coming back with all her creative juices flowing, only to be completely stopped in her tracks and not getting that last studio album out (because "what's the point?"). and i get it why she ultimately went along with fakewood tour, even though she knew about all the backlash. only 6 months before her passing, she said in her Songbird-promoting interview that what she hopes for is to live some more. somehow she knew, she had a sense.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-03-2023, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I feel Jeremy Spencer should have been a special guest.
Mick had to beg Jeremy to do the Peter Green tribute and Jeremy wouldn’t let Mick use his name to promote the show.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-04-2023, 03:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mick had to beg Jeremy to do the Peter Green tribute and Jeremy wouldn’t let Mick use his name to promote the show.
Too afraid of getting arrested again?
Old 01-04-2023, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The last eleven years were quite the ride and while we all wish there had been more, her return, at least for me, gave a proper sense closure for Fleetwood Mac.
I felt the same way until somebody ruined it for everyone.
Old 01-04-2023, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Clips from the 2013 tour are still shared on social media frequently to this day. Nearly 10 years later.

The same thing isn't happening for the 2018 tour. The Free Falling cover has become as expected as Stand Back at this point. Nobody will give a sh*t about that tour in 2028. It will be noted by being Christine's last tour and Lindsey's absence.
Old 01-04-2023, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Clips from the 2013 tour are still shared on social media frequently to this day. Nearly 10 years later.

The same thing isn't happening for the 2018 tour. The Free Falling cover has become as expected as Stand Back at this point. Nobody will give a sh*t about that tour in 2028. It will be noted by being Christine's last tour and Lindsey's absence.
As a fan of Christine’s blues playing, the 2018 tour brought back something that had been missing since the BTM tour. The way she and Mike traded solos on “Black Magic Woman” and “Tell Me All the Things You Do” was like going back to when Danny and Bob were in the band. It’s telling that her grand return to the stage was “Get Like You Used To Be” with Mick’s blues band and that her final appearance ever was singing “Stop Messin’ Round” at the Peter Green tribute. For whatever reason, that dimension of Christine’s playing always got shelved when Lindsey was in the band, but it was something that was meaningful to Christine. So, for me, 2018 filled in the one missing element of Christine’s return.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-04-2023, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There is a 2013 segment on FM on Australian television (before Christine's return) that seems to have disappeared from YouTube. Does anyone have it or can anyone find it? Thanks.
Old 01-04-2023, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As a fan of Christine’s blues playing, the 2018 tour brought back something that had been missing since the BTM tour. The way she and Mike traded solos on “Black Magic Woman” and “Tell Me All the Things You Do” was like going back to when Danny and Bob were in the band.
It wasn’t that great. She fiddled a bit with some two-finger tremolo and just kept repeating it. That went on for thirty seconds? I think you got gushy because it was the first time in a long time she had done any blues playing. But it was just a shadow of what she used to do in the old days. (It truly was very minimal — nice to hear it at all, I guess, but let’s not pretend it was a barn burner.)

Quote:
It’s telling that her grand return to the stage was “Get Like You Used To Be” with Mick’s blues band and that her final appearance ever was singing “Stop Messin’ Round” at the Peter Green tribute.
I thought for sure she would add “Get Like” to the Mac set list somewhere along the line. Shame it wasn’t. Her “Stop Messin’ ” at the Green concert, despite being a little feeble, was more fun for me than anything she had done in that vein since her piano work on the same song and “Tear It Up” in 1990. She obviously felt really hip to be singing that one with those supporting players. Put a big grin on my face.

Quote:
For whatever reason, that dimension of Christine’s playing always got shelved when Lindsey was in the band, but it was something that was meaningful to Christine.
Silly of you to lay that on Lindsey. Chris was still incorporating blues piano in 1975 and 1976 concerts (“Get Like,” the pianet outro on “Spare Me a Little,” “Jumping at Shadows,” B3 on “Oh Well” and “Manalishi,” “Don’t Stop” turn-around blues piano, and even blues-scale fills on “Hypnotized.” And she always played blues B3 on “Oh Well” until Lindsey quit. It was the entire band of that configuration that veered away from doing any blues numbers with prominent keyboard, and it took another configuration in 1987 to bring some of that back, probably thanks to Mick and Rick. The best, fastest blues fills improv she used to do — “World Turning” on both B3 and CP30 — wasn’t equaled again until 1990 with “Stop Messin’.”

That evolution away from doing a little ham on blues piano in the sets wasn’t solely a Lindsey Buckingham thing. Lindsey gets blamed for a lot of weirdness. Why blame him any more than Stevie or Mick in 1977/1978/1979/1980. In fact, the only semi-blues they were still doing in those years (as an entire song) was “Oh Well” and that was Lindsey’s decision, as he told Jim Ladd in 1981. Mick, Chris, and John only wanted to play any blues, apparently, when they were waiting for Ray Lindsey to restring and played a little “Jumping at Shadows” in the down time.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-04-2023, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Silly of you to lay that on Lindsey.
Ah, but I didn’t, hence the “for whatever reason” preface. She also didn’t play any blues songs on her 1984 solo tour. However, once the Rumours lineup was established, any actual blues went away until the 1987 tour.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-04-2023, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ah, but I didn’t, hence the “for whatever reason” preface. She also didn’t play any blues songs on her 1984 solo tour. However, once the Rumours lineup was established, any actual blues went away until the 1987 tour.
The Five didn't play Hypnotized, Station Man, Tell Me All The Things You Do, or Stop Messin'? Or are those not blues? I really don't know.
Old 01-04-2023, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
The Five didn't play Hypnotized, Station Man, Tell Me All The Things You Do, or Stop Messin'? Or are those not blues? I really don't know.
Hypnotized, TMATTYD, and Station Man aren’t remotely blues songs and they never played “Stop Messin’ Round.” The only blues songs that lineup played were “Get Like You Used to Be” and “Jumpin’ At Shadows” VERY early on. However, once GLYUTB was dropped for SYLM, that lineup didn’t play any proper blues songs again.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-05-2023, 07:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Hypnotized, TMATTYD, and Station Man aren’t remotely blues songs and they never played “Stop Messin’ Round.” The only blues songs that lineup played were “Get Like You Used to Be” and “Jumpin’ At Shadows” VERY early on. However, once GLYUTB was dropped for SYLM, that lineup didn’t play any proper blues songs again.
Station Man is definitely a blues song. Its not classic cookie cutter blues but has so many bluesy features that its definitely in that camp. Its so bluesy. Even the singing and lyrics are classic, vintage blues.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-05-2023 at 08:58 AM..
Old 01-05-2023, 07:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Station Man is definitely a blues song. Its not classic cookie cutter blues but has so many bluesy features that its definitely in that camp.
According to setlist.fm, they played Stop Messin Round in 1977 but that site also has Stevie performing at a Michigan Republican Concert in 2008
Old 01-05-2023, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That evolution away from doing a little ham on blues piano in the sets wasn’t solely a Lindsey Buckingham thing. Lindsey gets blamed for a lot of weirdness. Why blame him any more than Stevie or Mick in 1977/1978/1979/1980. In fact, the only semi-blues they were still doing in those years (as an entire song) was “Oh Well” and that was Lindsey’s decision, as he told Jim Ladd in 1981. Mick, Chris, and John only wanted to play any blues, apparently, when they were waiting for Ray Lindsey to restring and played a little “Jumping at Shadows” in the down time.
Somehow after the events of 2018 people started pushing a new narrative that Lindsey Buckingham single-handedly dictated Fleetwood Mac setlists for the past 20 years or that he was the sole decision maker on using any kind of backing tracks dating back to 1997, which we have no documentation of how that decision was made. People just assumed because he uses them in his solo act that he also insisted on using them with Fleetwood Mac, without any proof.

I'm sure Lindsey was also responsible for axing Destiny Rules and Running Through the Garden in '03.......

Last edited by BigAl84; 01-05-2023 at 09:09 AM..