User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-28-2022, 09:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
The studio version of "Not That Funny" is not as egregious as the live version. I remember that a good portion of the audience quickly retreated to the concession stands upon hearing the first few notes of "Not That Funny" during their 2013 tour.
I'll never understand why Lindsey loves NTF so much. Clearly the audience doesn't.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The studio version of "Not That Funny" is not as egregious as the live version. I remember that a good portion of the audience quickly retreated to the concession stands upon hearing the first few notes of "Not That Funny" during their 2013 tour.
seriously? 2013 Not That Funny was a quick few minutes tight little punk song.

i did not see anyone leave, and in fact everyone was generally pleasantly surprised by how tight and great it was. i loved it even though i wanted WATL or WMYTYTO instead. then again i was usually way upfront at 2013 shows, so i don't know what was happening in the back pf the arena except during Sara which was always boring me out of my mind so i turned around and looked at the arena.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-28-2022, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
A few years ago, I ranked 325 Fleetwood Mac songs from best to worst, so I am pulling the bottom five Buckingham songs and placing them here.

5th worst: Goodbye Angel (ranked #306 out of #325)

4th worst: Miss Fantasy (ranked #307 out of #325)

3rd worst: Doesn't Anything Last? (ranked #309 out of #325)

2nd worst: Oh Diane (ranked #315 out of #325)

Worst: It Takes Time (#319 out of #325)
wow, how is your screen name WATL?????? It Takes Time is a gorgeous song.

i do agree with you on Goodbye Angel, and Oh Diane. Miss Fantasy is fun little pop song.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-28-2022, 03:34 PM
Senior Ledgie

Originally, I intended to go with SprintAThinLine, but my mind reverted to the actual title of the song when typing the username.

After listening to Miss Fantasy again, I would probably place it higher, although it would probably still remain his fifth worst song given Buckingham's high quality discography with Fleetwood Mac. As for "It Takes Time", while the lyrical reference to "Show You How" is appreciated, the rest of the song is a slog to get through, largely because of Buckingham's lackluster piano playing. What really tanks "It Takes Time" is the juvenile synth string arrangement. The synth string quality is jarringly unprofessional for a band that has sold over 100 million records worldwide.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Oh Diane" just "Oh Diane" I can't listen to it. However, the video of him lip synching it gives me great joy
Old 06-28-2022, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
"Oh Diane" just "Oh Diane" I can't listen to it. However, the video of him lip synching it gives me great joy
Now that's just bitchy...

I remember at the time it came out, my family liked it. We were young, and would play cards(while drinking)until 5 or 6AM, and LOVED singing along to it. But I was also into Elvis at that point, so Oh Diane kind of fit that vibe.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't decide which is worse between Diane and Empire. Depends on the day.

I love Not That Funny, always have, always will. However, his obsession with long orgasmic groans and "Here I come" live nearly killed it. Worse even than "Bark like a dog" which always taints Holiday Road for me.

Is Doesn't Anything Last even a full, finished song? Sounds like a rough demo in progress to me. So that shouldn't count.

Miss Fantasy is pretty awesome, made more so by John's bass line. A statement that could apply to any number of FM songs.

It Takes Time isn't that bad at all. I don't get the hate. Do agree the synth lines are too sappy. I think he was trying to make up for the lack of Christine and her song sensibilities... but it would have been far better served by one of his signature acoustic guitar outros. I mean, his acoustic outro on Wassamatta Baby is what makes even that turd remotely listenable for me.

Illumination, One Take, both are at the top of my awful list, and I'd take Oh Diane over either of them on any day

Not a huge fan of some of his drawn out, droney vocals songs like Shadow of the West, Save Me a Place, oh and I usually skip Underground even though the acoustic guitar is good. And not a huge fan of the whole DW Suite pieces either.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 06-28-2022 at 11:45 PM..
Old 06-29-2022, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
1. Not That Funny
2. Come
3. My Little Demon
4. That's Enough For Me
5. Red Rover
Excepting “Come,” which is a true stinker in my book, the other four I adore. Funny how individual tastes are precisely that—individual.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I can't decide which is worse between Diane and Empire. Depends on the day.

I love Not That Funny, always have, always will.

Not a huge fan of some of his drawn out, droney vocals songs like Shadow of the West, Save Me a Place, oh and I usually skip Underground even though the acoustic guitar is good. And not a huge fan of the whole DW Suite pieces either.
Empire. Love.

Not That Funny. SUCKS.

Oh no. I love Shadow and SMAP. I love the wispy guitars on SMAP. It's perfect.

Go Insane is probably my least favorite album of his. I had fallen into other musical places when it came out, and I never truly bonded with it(probably my fault).
Old 06-29-2022, 05:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I dont hate NTF. The studio track fits fairly well with the album Tusk. My only complaint about NTF live is that its too long. On the Live album its the longest song at just over 9 minutes. We could have had The Chain or Sisters instead. I always thought NTF fit nicely with the HBO Mirage concert because it showcased the band without Stevie and the jam with Chris and then without Chris. Also John trying to smell Lindsey's joint was pretty cool IMHO. The Mirage tour was the last tour Chris played that kind of upright piano. So I have no issues with it except the fact we could get 2 better songs instead. But clearly Lindsey loves the song because besides being on Tusk, it was on the Live album, showcased on the Mirage video concert, and dug out again for The Dance. IMHO he has better songs on Tusk that I would prefer to hear.
Not to change the subject but I am fascinated by the love of The Ledge. I just dont get it. It sounds like I should be wearing overalls, square dancing, and husking corn when I listen to it
Old 06-29-2022, 07:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Not to change the subject but I am fascinated by the love of The Ledge. I just dont get it. It sounds like I should be wearing overalls, square dancing, and husking corn when I listen to it
I think that’s exactly why I do love The Ledge
Old 06-29-2022, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Empire. Love.

Not That Funny. SUCKS.

Oh no. I love Shadow and SMAP. I love the wispy guitars on SMAP. It's perfect.

Go Insane is probably my least favorite album of his. I had fallen into other musical places when it came out, and I never truly bonded with it(probably my fault).
the vocals on SMAP sound like a 45 played at 33 1/3 rpm
Old 06-29-2022, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I am in the minority on The Ledge but I think The Ledge is one of my least favorite Lindsey songs. I like everything else on Tusk except this song
That would be my #6. I dislike it too.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Without making a list, I would like to throw in my vote for Family Man.

I guess I would add WTWCT and Peacekeeper as well.
I’m surprised at how often What’s the World Coming To was mentioned here. I actually like the song, in fact that and Peacekeeper are my two favorite Lindsey songs on Say You Will. I feel the same way about That’s All For Everyone, from Tusk.

I’d love to hear why people dislike WTWCT and TAFE.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I’m surprised at how often What’s the World Coming To was mentioned here. I actually like the song, in fact that and Peacekeeper are my two favorite Lindsey songs on Say You Will. I feel the same way about That’s All For Everyone, from Tusk.

I’d love to hear why people dislike WTWCT and TAFE.
I never can understand that either but then the entire SYW debate will come up. I just realize I am in the minority that likes SYW and almost every song. I think WTWCT is a fantastic opener for the album. Lindsey's songs on SYW are better than his songs on Mirage and Tango.
I like the song so I cant answer your question. But then again most people here hate SYW. Its the most intricate musical album from the Mac in a very very long time yet never gets appreciated. Its too long, its too cold, its not commercial. All the same descriptions of Tusk. I think they want Big Love all the time.