The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

and just like that - LB is back on social media too, not just releasing new hot music!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-23-2020, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Good. You hear him too. I am always unsure. When this happens I always think of Henry James’ Clare de Cintre. In the end, was cloistered in a convent, separated from the man who loved her forever. She could not even be seen. All he could do was stand outside when the nuns sang and strain to hear her voice among the others.
LOVE The American!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Good old Ken Bruce on Radio 2 ...plays the Killers new single...
And mentions that the lead out guitar solo is by no one else but
Lindsey Buckingham....
Old 04-25-2020, 09:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Caution #1 on alternative radio

https://themusicuniverse.com/killers...-with-caution/

The Killers hit No 1 with ‘Caution’

Buddy Iahn | April 22, 2020 | Rock

The Killers Fastest song of their career to reach No 1

Grammy nominated The Killers return with their fastest No. 1 at alternative radio with hit single “Caution” via Island Records. “Caution” is from the band’s upcoming sixth studio album, Imploding The Mirage, the follow up to 2017’s chart topping Wonderful Wonderful. Produced by the band in conjunction with Shawn Everett and Jonathan Rado of Foxygen, the album was recorded in Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and Park City, Utah. It is the first Killers album to be written and recorded since the band left their hometown of Las Vegas. It also features a brilliant array of collaborators, including Lindsey Buckingham, kd lang, Weyes Blood, Adam Granduciel, Blake Mills, and Lucius – another first for the group, who have typically kept guest spots on their albums to a minimum. “Caution” is all of Imploding The Mirage’s excellence densely packed into three and a half minutes. Both refreshingly next level and reminiscent of the band’s much-loved albums Sam’s Town and Battle Born, it finds The Killers evoking the spirit of ambitious reinvention matched with the kind of anthemic chorus to which they’ve become synonymous. The track features an iconic guitar solo courtesy of the legendary Lindsey Buckingham.

[Read More at themusicuniverse.com/killers-hit-no-1-with-caution/ © The Music Universe. All Rights Reserved.]

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-25-2020, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That's awesome! I hear it a lot on Sirius' The Spectrum.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

ahead of the Friday 4/24/2020 IG live Q&A with The Killers' Brandon and Ronnie, a LB/FM fan asked this question via twitter:

Q&A starts at about 6-minute mark in this video, and LB question was the first one they selected to answer of all the questions they received on twitter over the last week

basically, it sounds like they've been discussing with LB how to make this happen, and that both The Killers and LB want it (Ronnie says "we'll bribe him!" ). they seemed to have been discussing the option like when they have parallel tours, if / when they happen to be in the same town, they'd ask LB to join them on stage and do several songs together - Caution, of course, but then also some Lindsey solo and some FM songs.

if you watch the Q&A through the end, they say that Johnny Marr joined them on stage at Glastonbury back when The Killers were headliner in 2018, and that he will be touring with them this year on US dates, if the tour happens. sounded like Johnny Marr would be a "special guest" / opening for The Killers, and then join them on stage for some songs. while i love better to see LB in small venues instead of the arena tour The Killers are doing, since i go see both LB solo and The Killers tours live, LB opening for them, or just showing up on stage for several songs would all be a fantastic option in my book! and if he would be their "special guest" on some world tour dates, that would finally bring him to LB solo fans on all sides of the world!

plus, thanks to this collaboration, with his Caution participation LB now has a #1 hit on alternative radio!

Old 04-28-2020, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/the...ng-where-i-am/

The Killers frontman talks isolation and working with Fleetwood Mac legend Lindsey Buckingham.

Brandon Flowers has compared being in lockdown to the classic horror movie The Shining.

Speaking to the Hit Network in Australia, the Killers frontman said: "I'm in the mountains of Utah, it's just full blown winter vibes here.

"Everybody else is starting to get spring before us. It sort of feels like The Shining where I am. The highest is in the high-30s Fahrenheit."

The singer also revealed that former Fleetwood Mac legend Lindsey Buckingham had worked with the band in the studio on their latest single, Caution. ""He came to the studio where we were working in LA and he just delivered.

"It was great we didn't have to get him to send it in remotely, we got to be in the room with and go to dinner with him.

"We're lucky, a lot of these people who are legendary don't get bothered that much because you would assume that we're afraid of them or assume that they're going to say no.

"So many times I think they're happy to be thought of and be appreciated and Lindsey was no different."

The Killers release their eighth studio album, Imploding The Mirage, next month and Flowers claims that the record sees the band at their "peak".

Flowers explained: "There's a lot of spirit in it and a lot of the bands that we admire had that quality. This is sort of peak spirit for The Killers and I'm really excited for it to come out."

Imploding The Mirage is the follow-up to 2017's Wonderful Wonderful and is released on 29 May.

Old 05-02-2020, 05:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In the UK...I haven’t had the Radio on much this last week, but
Caution has been record of the week !! On Radio 2

I must confess not to hearing it that much, not as much as The Stones new single.
But at least The BBC has good taste..
And hopefully some of the DJs will mention Lindsey.

Last edited by sue; 05-02-2020 at 05:22 AM.. Reason: Forgot something
Old 05-17-2020, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default we’ll call Lindsey fu*kin’ Buckingham!

this RS interview with The Killers came out 10 days ago -

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ewiKcsmncTTBvc

How the Killers Started Over Again
Before ‘Imploding the Mirage,’ they’d never made an album without founding guitarist Dave Keuning. It proved to be much more difficult than they imagined

By ANDY GREENE

When the Killers began work on their new album, Imploding the Mirage, they had virtually everything they needed: a batch of new songs, a seven-month break from the road, and a large home studio nestled away in Park City, Utah, where they could work and live without distraction. The only thing missing was their guitarist, Dave Keuning.

Keuning started the band back in 2001, when he took out an ad in a Las Vegas newspaper looking for local musicians to play with. The first song he wrote with future Killers frontman Brandon Flowers after they met up was “Mr. Brightside,” and he’d gone on to play a pivotal role in crafting each album they’d made since then. But he stepped away from the road shortly after the recording of 2017’s Wonderful Wonderful, citing factors including creative frustration, and he hasn’t played with the Killers in the three years since, though they say he technically remains an official member. (Founding bassist Mark Stoermer has also scaled back his involvement in the band, but he continues to play some shows and studio parts.)

On the road, the Killers were able to soldier on with hired hands, but recording new songs turned out to be a different story. “We were trying to make it sound like the band wasn’t fractured,” says Flowers. “And trying to sound like the Killers. It was almost like we were doing this dumbed-down, mannequin version of the band.”

The more collaborators they brought in to fill that void, the worse it got. They don’t want to name everyone they tried during this self-described “speed dating” process, but producer Jacknife Lee — whom they worked with on Wonderful Wonderful — was one of them. “He was trying to make it sound like there was a Dave there,” says Killers drummer Ronnie Vannucci Jr. “It felt a little dishonest.”

After six months of recording, they didn’t have anything they were happy with. Then producer Shawn Everett and Jonathan Rado of California psychedelic-rock duo Foxygen entered the picture. “That was a big awakening for us,” says Flowers. “We loved being with them, and it made us want to course-correct.”

Around the same time, producer Ariel Rechtshaid played Flowers some of the new Vampire Weekend album, Father of the Bride. “I realized I couldn’t continue on the path that I was on,” says Flowers. “It reminded me of the way I felt when I heard Is This It [by the Strokes]. I was like, ‘Oh my gosh, I can’t just phone this in. If Ezra [Koenig] is doing this, I need to up my game a little bit.’ I was inspired and jealous. For me those, two emotions combined really light a fire under me.”

The Killers decided to throw out nearly everything they had done in Utah and start over in Los Angeles and in their own studio in Las Vegas. Everett and Rado joined the effort full time, and songs started coming more quickly. Still, Keuning’s absence remained a vexing problem. Vannucci recalls the recording of “Caution,” which would become the new album’s lead single: “We got to the point where it was like, ‘Okay, time to put some guitars on it.’ Then we’d be like, ‘****, Dave’s not here.’ We were having Thai food one night, kind of pissed, and I jokingly said, ‘Okay, we’ll call Lindsey fu*kin’ Buckingham!'”

The band just so happens to share a publicity firm with the former Fleetwood Mac guitarist, and the next afternoon, Buckingham showed up at the studio, guitar in hand. “He brought that song from 2D to 3D with his guitar playing,” says Vannucci. “He seemed to really get the musical sensitivities of the song right off the bat and just knew what colors to add.”

That encounter set the template for the rest of the sessions,
where everyone from Weyes Blood and K.D. Lang to the War on Drugs’ Adam Granduciel joined in on the fun. “The charm about being in L.A. is that you’re so close to everybody,” adds Vannucci. “They’re just a phone call away.”

The track “Dying Breed” was created in collaboration with producer Flood, whom the band hadn’t worked with since their 2006 LP Sam’s Town. Flowers says that helped give the song “an industrial vibe” that he likes: “What I love about Flood is he doesn’t have a problem x-ing something out if he doesn’t like it. What he did with it was a lot more stark than what we would have done, but it kept the spirit of the song. It has a heart to it that really grabs you.”

Lead-off track “My Own Soul’s Warning” was written near the end of the sessions, when Flowers worried he didn’t have a single yet and started to panic. The song came to him in a burst of inspiration, but getting the right mix has been a problem. “It’s a stubborn son of a bitch,” says Flowers. “We’re near 90 mixes of it I think. But it’s my favorite song on the record. I can’t wait for people to hear it.”

Taken as a whole, Imploding the Mirage has the kind of roaring energy and catchy hooks that recall the band’s early classics, even though the collaborators all bring unique twists to it. “A lot of moments reminded me of making our first album, where you just know that it’s going to connect because of the way it makes you feel,” says Flowers. “I felt like that 20-year-old kid almost inventing something again.”

Still, the Killers aren’t the same band that started out nearly 20 years ago. Stoermer took a step back in 2016, a few years after a pyro mishap in London left him with hearing damage; he remains close to the other guys in the band, and they expect to play select dates with him in the future.

The situation with Keuning, who released a solo album last year, is different. “All I ever wanted was to play guitar in a successful band, but it took its toll in more ways than one,” he said in 2019. “Mentally, physically, doing the same thing over and over again . . . I needed balance back in my life.” He was also upset about his role in the creative process. “I was writing all these ideas for songs,” he said. “But they always fell to the bottom of the pile. So I felt, well, may as well do something. And it was fun to realize I could have complete control over them, after having very little control in the Killers.”

Both Flowers and Vannucci say the door is open if he ever feels like getting back to work with them. “I don’t want to spill too much dirty laundry, but it’s been years since he’s been really been a productive part of this band,” says Vannucci. “And it sucks. We have to get used to it, and hopefully that will level out and we’ll figure out a way forward. He can come back if that’s what he wants. This is all his decision.”

The band is still mixing Imploding the Mirage, whose May 29th release date has been pushed back by the COVID-19 pandemic. They’re incredibly psyched for fans to hear it, even as they are realistic about their odds of getting a song on mainstream pop radio — if they do get a major hit of that kind, it would be their first since 2008’s “Human.” (They’ve fared better at alternative radio, where “Caution” became a substantial hit after this interview, getting the most plays of any song on that format in the last week of April, according to Alpha Data.)

In that same time, the Killers have become one of the most popular touring rock bands on the planet, regularly headlining stadiums in Europe and packing arenas all over America. They’ve pulled this off by touring relentlessly, sometimes playing more than 100 shows a gig a year and never getting off the road for more than a few months. “There’s a lot of cities in the world and a lot of people and the fans keep coming,” says Flowers. “It’s addictive. It’s become more than cathartic or more than exciting for me. It’s something that’s a part of my identity, and I still enjoy getting better at it. I love it.”

That strategy will be more complicated this time around: The band booked an extensive European summer tour, followed by a run of American arenas, but venue closures due to COVID-19 mean that most if not all of those dates will have to wait. “It’s frustrating,” says Flowers. “But there’s just more important stuff going on right now. Those stadiums are going to still be there in 2021.”

In the meantime, the group is trying to think of ways to promote the album from their homes. They already taped a stripped-down performance of “Caution” for Jimmy Kimmel Live from Flowers’ bathroom and announced a live YouTube Q&A for May 15th, and they are thinking about more streaming shows. “We’re starting to bat ideas around,” says Flowers. “I guess the only alternative would be to make another record.”

Old 05-17-2020, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think they should have as an opener for select shows. He could play for an 75 minutes starting at 7:30 and they come on at 9:00 an do their full set and he could join them for Caution. I would go and see that.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

NO FREAKING WAY. Brandon Flowers is everything.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://mix1041.radio.com/blogs/kars...of-the-killers

Karson Talks with Brandon Flowers of The Killers!
May 26, 2020

Brandon Flowers of The Killers Sits Down for His First Zoom
Brandon Flowers of The Killers talks about upcoming tour plans and more with Karson from Mix 104.1 in Boston
Duration 11:33
-Joe Cingrana/RADIO.COM

Mix 104.1's Karson caught up with Brandon Flowers of The Killers to discuss the band's recent tour cancelation, the new album Imploding the Mirage, and some of his vocal influences over the years. There's also a little bit of rivalry between him and OneRepublic's Ryan Tedder on Songland!

"[It's] my first Zoom meeting," The Killers singer says with a smile as he connects with Karson over, arguably, the most important communication tool since Alexander Graham Bell's telephone. It's not that he hasn't been asked -- he's just not usually the one who pushes the buttons on these kinds of things. "I'm not a computer gadgetry wizard -- I've done it with my drummer, he's better at that stuff."

Flowers and drummer Ronnie Vannucci Jr. have been keeping fans updated on their lives apart from the rest of the band, and more importantly their fans, in a series of YouTube videos and TV appearances. The Las Vegas rockers also recently released a new single from their forthcoming album Imploding The Mirage, titled "Caution," which premiered on RADIO.COM stations nationwide in early March.

Initially slated to hit the road to support the record, the band was forced to postpone a world tour as we all ride out the current COVID-19 health crisis.

The gravity of the situation is starting to "sink in," says Flowers. "We spent a lot of time on the album, and usually it culminates in a tour -- and that's not going to happen anytime soon," he admits. "But we're really proud of the album..."

"Music always brought me a lot of joy, and an escape, and healing when I was coming up and still does. So, we're excited for people to hear it."

Reading through comments on the band's latest single, Karson enjoyed what fans were saying about Brandon's voice, likening him to superstar quarterback Tom Brady whose craft steadily improved year over year.

"When we started the band it wasn't something I was that concerned with, funnily enough. It was more about just being in this band, and taking on the world... I didn't really consider what kind of performer or singer I was. It was just more about the guys and the camaraderie and all that," he admits. "And then I realized... I think it just came with time and with a little bit of wisdom and observing other people that I look up to in their careers and realized there more to it if I want to keep doing this."

Some of Flowers' influences, as far as voices go, he says are Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan, who admittedly has a different voice than his own. Frank Sinatra and Morrissey also get a shout as Flowers is an admitted fan of crooners. "But I'm not a crooner," he acknowledges. "People that sing in my range are people like Bono. We have a really similar range... He's done some of the most impressive stuff vocally that I've ever seen and I love."

Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham, another admitted influence for the band as a whole, contributes guitars on their single "Caution," and says his inclusion came about after jokingly bringing his name up while recording in the studio. "We were in L.A. and we just threw a call at him... He showed up a couple of days after the call. A lot of people nowadays will work remotely but it was great to be in L.A. and have Lindsey pull up and work with him in the studio."

Some other surprising (or not so surprising) guests on the record, Brandon says, include singer k.d. lang, Natalie Mering from Weyes Blood, and Adam Granduciel from The War On Drugs to name just a few.

As far as getting back on the road, Flowers says they're simply pushing everything back a year when, fingers crossed, everything will be back to normal.

Check out the full interview above as Flowers jokes about not wanting to give any songwriting secrets to OneRepublic's Ryan Tedder on the TV show Songland -- and be sure to pick up Imploding The Mirage, due on shelves and online later this year.

This post is sponsored by Arbella Insurance. Here For New England. Here For Good.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just listening to Running through the garden and Lindsey’s guitar on this track reminds me so much of his solo on The Killers single, Caution.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

since the album is coming out tomorrow, there seems to be a lot of press around it, one of that being interview in LA Times (i cannot access the whole interview but if someone can please do share the whole Lindsey part.

https://thekillersnews.com/post/6269...-a-concise-yet

The ‘Los Angeles Times’ Provides a Concise Yet Detailed Look at ‘Imploding The Mirage’
2 notesAugust 19th, 2020 at 9:18 pm
The ‘Los Angeles Times’ recently spoke with Brandon Flowers, Ronnie Vannucci, Lindsey Buckingham, and Shawn Everett about the recording process for ‘Imploding The Mirage’.

This is a great, quick read with quotes from a number of the people who were involved in the process. You can read the entire article here.

Buckingham says:

“My kids love them, and my wife loves them,” said the former Fleetwood Mac singer-guitarist, who contributes a searing, “Big Love”-style solo to the LP’s thrumming lead single, “Caution.” “They’ve created something that’s fresh, that speaks to the young — or the young-ish,” he added. “But there’s such a strong center to what they’re doing. Their material is so well crafted that it cuts across a lot of generational lines.”

Everett says:

Everett said that because the Killers’ identity is anchored in a feeling more than in a specific sound — he likened it to “the surge of freedom you get at the end of a long journey” — they could tinker liberally with textures and arrangements, as in the funky “Fire In Bone.”

The musicians tracked much of the album at a pair of storied L.A. studios, Vox and Sound City; Flowers took particular pleasure in cutting “Blowback,” which he called “maybe the most Heartbreakers of all our songs,” in the latter room, a regular spot for Petty over the course of his long career. Buckingham got involved after Flowers and Vannucci decided that, minus Keunig, “Caution” needed some “magical guitar juice,” as Vannucci put it.

the killers
imploding the mirage
la times
los ángeles times
brandon flowers
mark stoermer
ronnie vannucci
shawn everett
lindsey buckingham

Old 08-26-2020, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

lots and lots of Imploding The Mirage reviews all over the place these days, many mentioning collaborations and lauding Lindsey's guitar solo.

https://www.theday.com/article/20200825/ENT10/200829662
Review: The Killers return with songs of women and loyalty
The Killers, “Imploding the Mirage” (Island Records)

Published August 25. 2020 7:13AM
By MARK KENNEDY, Associated Press

When you are The Killers and your usual guitarist has gone, no problem. When you’re The Killers, you can turn to Lindsey Buckingham.

The former Fleetwood Mac guitarist steps in for a tune on the new 10-song “Imploding the Mirage,” another sign of the band’s clout.
The album's guests also include k.d. lang and Adam Granduciel of The War on Drugs.

The absence of guitarist and co-founder Dave Keuning is felt, with keyboards and drums stepping into the void. Without Keuning’s jangle and riff shards, The Killers have a more poppy sound.

If 2017′s “Wonderful Wonderful” was a meditation on the anxiety of masculinity, the new album often explores the lives of women, with two sharp portraits of tough survivors in “Blowback” and “Caution” — women whom Brandon Flowers sings each come from “white trash.”

Many other songs are about loyally backing a partner. "I’ll be there when water’s rising/I’ll be your lifeguard," Flowers sings on “Dying Breed.” On “When the Dreams Run Dry,” he vows: “I’ll be on your side/When the dreams run dry." In “Lightening Fields," he sings, ”Just wanted to run my fastest/And stand beside you." The cover of the album depicts a god tenderly supporting a goddess.

Jonathan Rado of California psychedelic-rock duo Foxygen and Shawn Everett — who worked on “Wonderful Wonderful” as well as with Kacey Musgraves and Alabama Shakes — have stepped in to produce, and their influence can best be heard on the funky “Fire in Bone.”

Elsewhere, listeners may have fun finding the band's other influences. There's a Tom Petty-ish sound to “Blowback,” and “My Own Soul's Warning” has a Springsteen vibe. But there's no mistaking that classic Killers mix of soaring vocals, sonic bombast and sly humor in such songs as “My God” and the title track. It's a solid album from a band still exploring.