Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-12-2022, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Very sad. I was reading this today and forgot so much about her. She had a very hard childhood with abuse and her parents were fundamentalists. She made it big on tv and film until she dated Ellen and she no longer was given leading lady roles. Her mother melted down over Ellen and still has not gotten over it. She had many hard obstacles in her past. Publicly she overcame lots but probably not so much privately. Very talented and its very sad she is gone.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Very sad. I was reading this today and forgot so much about her. She had a very hard childhood with abuse and her parents were fundamentalists. She made it big on tv and film until she dated Ellen and she no longer was given leading lady roles. Her mother melted down over Ellen and still has not gotten over it. She had many hard obstacles in her past. Publicly she overcame lots but probably not so much privately. Very talented and its very sad she is gone.
Was the reason that she was not given leading roles really because she had dated Ellen ? Jodie Foster is married to another of Ellen's ex girfriends and won a Golden Globe for acting last year and has another film coming out with Annette Bening and is about to start filiming HBO's True Detective season 4 as the lead.

Old 08-12-2022, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Was the reason that she was not given leading roles really because she had dated Ellen ? Jodie Foster is married to another of Ellen's ex girfriends and won a Golden Globe for acting last year and has another film coming out with Annette Bening and is about to start filiming HBO's True Detective season 4 as the lead.
True, but Anne and Ellen dated back in the late 1990s, I think, almost 25 years ago. A lot has changed in 25 years, and some of that change is due to Anne and Ellen for being willing to be honest about their relationship. I remember reading at the time that the movie studio was considering dropping Anne from Six Days Seven Nights because they thought the publicity about Anne dating Ellen would keep people from believing she could be a love interest for Harrison Ford, and Harrison had to pull his weight to keep that from happening.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

and let's not forget that Jodie Foster was not out publicly until she was much later in her career (2010s)...well after she was established and award-winning and all that. Recall that Ellen got her sitcom cancelled once she came out, and didn't really work for years until she made her comeback with her talk show.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
True, but Anne and Ellen dated back in the late 1990s, I think, almost 25 years ago. A lot has changed in 25 years, and some of that change is due to Anne and Ellen for being willing to be honest about their relationship. I remember reading at the time that the movie studio was considering dropping Anne from Six Days Seven Nights because they thought the publicity about Anne dating Ellen would keep people from believing she could be a love interest for Harrison Ford, and Harrison had to pull his weight to keep that from happening.
Very true. Its crazy to think but in the episode of Ellen where she says the words "I'm Gay" had half of her advertisers cancelling the show. Wendy's was one of them.
Besides the backlash Ellen and Anne had from the relationship, Anne had it worse because Ellen was not an actress who needed casting. During their breakup, Anne got flamed even from many in the gay community for dumping Ellen and the immediately dating a man. I dont remember the exact quote but Rosie O'Donnel had an issue with it and publicly said so. Apparently NO ONE is allowed to dump Ellen and get away with it.

One of the craziest anti-gay Hollywood moments ever involved a heterosexual/straight guy. Actor Harry Hamlin played a gay guy in the 1982 movie Making Love. Playing a gay guy on film destroyed his career and he never was cast in a major role again. Studios feared he would be thought of as that "gay guy." But he's not gay and was playing a character in a film. He was on his way to A list actor before Making Love and then was almost blacklisted.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-13-2022 at 04:46 AM..