Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-22-2023, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Daisy Jones & the Six

Daisy Jones & the Six, an upcoming Prime Video series, will follow a fictional, dramatic '70s rock band partly inspired by Fleetwood Mac. The show is based on a book of the same name, written by The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo author Taylor Jenkins Reid.Feb 15, 2023
https://www.vulture.com › article
Old 02-23-2023, 07:36 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
Daisy Jones & the Six, an upcoming Prime Video series, will follow a fictional, dramatic '70s rock band partly inspired by Fleetwood Mac. The show is based on a book of the same name, written by The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo author Taylor Jenkins Reid.Feb 15, 2023
https://www.vulture.com › article
It seems VERY similar to their story, complete with 'Silver Springs'-esque song. Can they sue?!
Old 03-01-2023, 12:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just saw an interview with actor Will Harrison, and the clips they showed made it pretty clear the show is, well, pretty much completely inspired by Fleetwood Mac: a rock group in the 1970s who have romantic triangles, drug use, and follows the band through 40 years. The actress doesn’t really look like Stevie, but the costuming and hair during the concert footage is taken directly from FM photos of that era.

The interviewer asked Will what Stevie Nicks might think of the show and he said he hoped her memories “would be sparked” by the show. The interviewer also says FM broke up because of the love triangles, which isn’t true, but then upon reflection, maybe it is true.
Old 03-01-2023, 02:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I just saw an interview with actor Will Harrison, and the clips they showed made it pretty clear the show is, well, pretty much completely inspired by Fleetwood Mac: a rock group in the 1970s who have romantic triangles, drug use, and follows the band through 40 years. The actress doesn’t really look like Stevie, but the costuming and hair during the concert footage is taken directly from FM photos of that era.

The interviewer asked Will what Stevie Nicks might think of the show and he said he hoped her memories “would be sparked” by the show. The interviewer also says FM broke up because of the love triangles, which isn’t true, but then upon reflection, maybe it is true.
I've ALWAYS wanted to know if Lindsey and Christine did it.

(I'd have my doubts if he could handle it, though)
Old 03-01-2023, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just saw the trailer ad…it was so quick I had to play it twice.
But yeah it’s pretty obvious who it’s based on..
I might even watch it…
(Now Happy Valley has ended)
Old 03-03-2023, 09:41 AM
Senior Ledgie

It's kind of watchable but I also sort of hate it. The FM parallels are teeth-gridingly obvious.
Karen/Christine (with British accent). Billy/Lindsey. aURORa/Rumours. They should deffo sue!
Old 03-03-2023, 10:08 AM
Senior Ledgie

Camila/Carol Ann...
Old 03-03-2023, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusky View Post
It's kind of watchable but I also sort of hate it. The FM parallels are teeth-gridingly obvious.
Karen/Christine (with British accent). Billy/Lindsey. aURORa/Rumours. They should deffo sue!
considering Reese Witherspoon is one of the producers, presumably Stevie is on board.

i watched last night (trying not to really think of any FM parallels but just on its own merit) and thought it was meh so far.

the Billy part of the story is your general cliché sex/drugs rocker. the actor is also too old looking for age he's supposed to play (early 20s i guess).

i think Riley Keough casting works really well.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-03-2023, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just watched the trailer. Yes there are lot of similitudes, but I found it partially, if no slightly, inspired in Fleetwood Mac. It's like some Law & Order SVU episodes. I remember the one about child molestation allegations against Michael Jackson. The billionaire character was inspired in MJ, but it was enough different to discard it was based on him.
So this Daisy Jones serie is enough different to avoid any complaint or demand from the "affected" characters.

I think is inspired in the Fleetwood Mac reputation. Remember the Rolling Stone 1997 cover that said it was the lovingest, fightingest, drugginest band of the 70s. Was it? I think they could sue the magazine, since I don't think they were the drugginest band (at least no one died in asphyxia due to aspirating on his own vomit , as some rock band members did). And about fightingest... well we can say the same about The Police, or so I read (and they began in the 70s).
Old 03-03-2023, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusky View Post
I listened to part of the album on Spotify and thought it was too derivative. It’s a pastiche of the Buckingham Nicks sound for people who haven’t thought very deeply about Buckingham Nicks. (The show is just more fodder for people who think Buckingham Nicks was Fleetwood Mac.) The songs and arrangements have no particular character other than emphasizing the surface appeal of Lindsey and Stevie singing together with country-rock acoustic guitars in the background. You want the singers and actors and producers to listen to a Tusk tour concert to learn what Fleetwood Mac actually sounded like, because it wasn’t bubblegum and gloppy beauty.

I’ll give episode one a try, but I doubt it’s any better than that Nashville series. The whole thing feels like cashing in. Nobody involved has anything to say other than that they can kind of look like them or sound like them, or the magazine ideal of them, because sounding like Mac is a trend at the moment. This is all someone’s dumb idea from the boardroom.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-03-2023, 03:37 PM

What David said ^^^^ Plus, I can barely stand the real thing with these two ego maniacs, let alone watch a watered down and bloated version of what the band wasn't about.
Old 03-03-2023, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I've ALWAYS wanted to know if Lindsey and Christine did it.

(I'd have my doubts if he could handle it, though)
I've wondered this (and she did have a bit of a crush on him at one point)
but I have very much wondered about Stevie and John. Their interactions, especially around the Tusk time, and the promo stuff around that time, he is rather attentive to her, and even in the behind the scenes of the promo photo shoots he hangs out wherever she is, even with her as she's getting her hair/makeup done and no one else is around. One never does know esp with Stevie. Everyone at some point.......
Old 03-03-2023, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
but I have very much wondered about Stevie and John. Their interactions, especially around the Tusk time, and the promo stuff around that time, he is rather attentive to her, and even in the behind the scenes of the promo photo shoots he hangs out wherever she is, even with her as she's getting her hair/makeup done and no one else is around. One never does know esp with Stevie. Everyone at some point.......
have fun tell the world!
Old 03-03-2023, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
i never really got the feeling either of those combinations hooked up. did they all maybe flirt during those long , boring-ass photo shoots? yes, absolutely...and john and stevie were cute together but i don't think it was more than that...

although i have heard that cocaine gives you 'endless sexual energy' so i guess who really knows except them!

--Lis
Old 03-03-2023, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The author is a fan of Fleetwood Mac and her book was loosely based on their story. I haven’t seen the series yet but I have read the book and I really liked it