The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-06-2002, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Who are the most talented members of Fleetwood Mac?

List 5 members in order of greatness, who you believe are the

most talented members of Fleetwood Mac ever.

I know it will be hard, because they are all so GREAT!!!!!! It is rare to see so many talented people in one band.

I guess if I had to pick the 5 most talented members in Fleetwood Mac, I would pick:

(1) Lindsey Buckingham (awesome, stringed instrument player, singer/songwriter)

(2) Stevie Nicks (awesome songwriter, what a voice!, and good (instead of previously typed "fabulous") piano player)

(3) Christine McVie (Fabulous keyboard/piano player, singer/songwriter)

(4) Peter Green (a guitar guru and songwriter)

(5) Mick Fleetwood and John McVie(tie) (both legends in their areas!)

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin

Last edited by golddustwoman77; 08-07-2002 at 09:49 AM..
Old 08-06-2002, 06:24 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 08-06-2002, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1)Lindsey Buckingham
2)Peter Green
3)Christine McVie
4)Mick Fleetwood & John McVie
5)Stevie Nicks
Old 08-06-2002, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1) Lindsey Buckingham / Peter Green
2) John McVie
3) Christine McVie
4) Danny Kirwan
5) Mick Fleetwood

Old 08-06-2002, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow My list...

1. LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM (This man can do it all...play guitar, write songs, produce AND sing!! LINDSEY RULES!!)

2. Stevie Nicks (She's an amazing songwriter)/ Christine McVie (Great piano player, great songwriter and that voice is like velveeta!! LOL)

3. Mick/John (The rhythm section is GREATNESS...think The Chain's bassline and Mick's crazy drumming on stage!!)

4. Peter Green (Amazing guitarist!! Love that Green Manalishi riff!!)

5. Bob Welch (Great songwriter!!)
Old 08-06-2002, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Ok...

this is an interesting question...

1.Peter Green
2.John McVie
3.Lindsey Buckingham
4.Christine McVie
5.Stevie Nicks

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 08-07-2002, 04:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Who are the most talented members of Fleetwood Mac?

Quote:
Originally posted by golddustwoman77
(2) Stevie Nicks (awesome songwriter, what a voice!, and fabulous piano player)

i'm soooorry.... but did you just say that stevie is a fabulous piano player? i bed to differ... i mean yeah she gets the job done... she writes her songs... but come on now... lets rethink this one
Old 08-07-2002, 04:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Who are the most talented members of Fleetwood Mac?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jessica Leigh

i'm soooorry.... but did you just say that stevie is a fabulous piano player? i bed to differ... i mean yeah she gets the job done... she writes her songs... but come on now... lets rethink this one
Yeah I don't know about that statement either. If there has always been one thing Stevie has lacked with this band, it is her ability with a musical instrument. OKAY OKAY, she plays a mean tambourine, but anyway...
Old 08-07-2002, 08:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Who are the most talented members of Fleetwood Mac?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jessica Leigh

Okay, I will rethink it. I'm going to stick with what I said and reword it a little. "Fabulous" might have been too strong of a word, so let's go with "good." Just because she isn't playing the piano in Fleetwood Mac doesn't mean that she can't do it or isn't good at it. My purpose was to point out all of the band members' abilities to show how multi-talented most of them are.

quote from jmn3: Yeah I don't know about that statement either. If there has always been one thing Stevie has lacked with this band, it is her ability with a musical instrument. OKAY OKAY, she plays a mean tambourine, but anyway...

In response to this post, the only reason that she doesn't play an instrument in Fleetwood Mac, such as the piano, is because they don't need her for that. All of the people in the band have their place. Christine was already doing keyboard and piano when Stevie entered the band. They needed a front person, and Stevie fills those shoes quite nicely.

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 08-07-2002, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fun thread...

1. Peter Green
2. Lindsey Buckingham
3. Christine McVie
4. Mick Fleetwood
5. Danny Kirwan

I love Stevie; it was tough to leave her off the list. But she really relies on the talent of others to make her songs *music*. And really, I agree with Jessica Leigh, her piano playing is quite, uh, primitive.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:41 AM

Need you ask? Lindsey Buckingham, of course. The man doesn't just play guitar, produce, write and sing. He is a multi-instrumentalist. And though writing tends to be his weakness, he has some occasional flashes of poetic brilliance: "A face as soft as a tear in a clown's eye."

Second would be Peter Green.

Stevie? She wrote about six great songs in the 70s. But she hasn't done anything brilliant since Bella Donna. The idea that she could play keys with the band on stage is just comical. I'm not even sure she can play the piano with both hands. She herself has admitted that she "tic tacs" on the piano. I've followed this band for a long time, and it gets a little tiring to keep seeing the perpetuation of the Myth of Stevie Nicks. She was great early on, but now she is anything but.
Old 08-07-2002, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She was great early on, but now she is anything but.
Amen, bruddah! If it wasn't for her "one trick pony" of her alter-ego stage persona of "The Welsh Gypsy Witch", she'd still be asking "do you want fries with that?"

Although, I'm not one to automatically jump on the Buckingham bandwagon, either. He also had some great ideas long ago, but he's just reformed and recycled them like a 20+ year old glop of silly-putty. I will admit, just from being able to "play the studio" like a musical instrument, he would be put in some special category along with Brian Wilson, Phil Spector, Sir George Martin, Jeff Lynne, etc. But, those other the guys knew how to get the "sound" done in a hurry, Buckingham works as slow as molasses in the Antarctic.

"The most talented member of the band?", you ask?

The unit known as the "rhythm section", Mick Fleetwood & John McVie.

They've been able for 35 years to play almost every genre & sub-genre of non-classical music with equal aplomb. (from the "blues" to "hippie acid rock" to "country" to "reggae" to "punk" to "easy listening pop" to "soul" to "rock" and blend them all together) That, my friends, takes talent.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Red face

I haven't posted anything for like 5 months (mostly due to very limited computer access up until about 2 weeks ago) but I just had to chime in here...

I think it's obnoxious how some people can turn such a positive thread ("who is the most talented") into something hateful and negative ("who sucks the most"). Why not try to keep things in a positive light when that is how they are initially presented?

Anyway, to answer the question:

I think that Stevie is the most talented songwriter/lyricist, and that Lindsey is the most musically talented. This being the case, they sure do make a great team.

PS Hi to everyone.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
something hateful and negative
Equally obnoxious are those who claim heresy upon those who don't fall to our knees and worship "all things Nicks".
Old 08-07-2002, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

1. Stevie Nicks (as far as songwriting goes.. I don't know anyone else who can write quite like her!)
2. Lindsey Buckingham (the man is a brilliant genius!)
3. Christine McVie (the woman knows her stuff!)
4. Peter Green (not really a big fan of his stuff, but he belongs right up there!)
5. Mick Fleetwood & John McVie (the ultimate rhythm section!)

Michelle

~long live the queen... under the skin~
Old 08-07-2002, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talent is such a subjective word.... Talented in what form???

Stevie can't play piano for ****, yes- but she has a stage presence that's hard to beat.

Christing is a good piano player (compared to others like Elton John or Benmont Tench), has a gorgeous, unique voice- but is a cold fish on stage barely registering a pulse.

Lindsey is a fantastic guitar player and is able to "play" the studio like most musicians can't- but he lacks warmth and compassion.

Mick and John are a great rhythm section- but are they dynamically talented musicians compared to other drummers/bassists? Maybe so, maybe not.

I think the real talent of Fleetwood Mac is the ability to take all these different kinds of people and form them in a cohesive band sound. There are so many different facets to the band, so many different contributions from many different talent sources.

How many bands out there have one main songwriter, one main voice and the same old tired sound (Creed, Smashing Pumpkins, etc., etc., etc).

So what if Stevie can't play the piano- she's not supposed to. That would be like expecting Christine to get up on stage and pull off a killer guitar solo. One certainly wouldn't expect Mick to start ripping out the vocals on some song??

Their talents are their contributions and what they ARE capable of doing, not what the aren't capable of doing.