User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-23-2006, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Sometimes. The returns are usually for highly anticipated artists and certain allowances are given to retailers.

But for a CD like In The Meantime, they would probably only purchase a small amount; large chains, about 4-12 units (per store) and individual retail stores probably 1 or 2, if that.

I'm sure she did get income from it. From the way she presented it, it probably didn't cost much to go in the studio and cut tracks (wasn't this a home recording studio anyway?). The record label probably paid her a advance to record and in her contract was guaranteed some sort of additional pay when the CD was manufactured and then dropped to the consumer market.
Thats right But often we return items that have not sold in the store for some time back to the smaller distribution companies, because the company tells them they have to take it back otherwise we will no longer order from you - thus resulting in a major loss for the small company

Christine is in my store (thanks to me) and I am sure after 12 months if it has not sold it will be returned to the company by bribery
Old 04-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamstevienicks
Are you sure?

I never saw an actual physical CD single in the shops (or I would of bought it )

I want it if it was

I am sure there were promo copies but no official release
I have a promo CD of "You Are". As far as I know, there was no official release. It's the same thing with "Friend" here in the U.S.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I don't have LB soundstage, FM live in boston, mick's recent solo cd (although I hated his 3rd cd), john's lola thomas cd, or christine's 3rd solo cd.
I don't have any of those things, EXCEPT I do have 2 copies of In The Meantime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I never even bought the dance on dvd. and I didn't buy that last book on fm. nor have I yet bought that bbc thing with christine material (although I'd like that one).
Wow! I can't believe you don't have the Dance DVD. I have a feeling that you'd like the Madison Blues box set, especially "Hey Baby". Chris plays fantastic blues piano on that track. And, while Chris does struggle with her live vocals, her keyboards are top notch throughout.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I have a promo CD of "You Are". As far as I know, there was no official release. It's the same thing with "Friend" here in the U.S.
I thought it had been released as a single in the UK but I may be wrong.

It did get played on Radio 2 a few times.

As far as I know she did some press interviews here but only one radio interview with that pratt Steve Wright (who thought the songs were about Dennis Wilson and asked her how much money she had)

It seemed to be doing OK on the pre-release ratings but then when it was released I think everybody who intended all along to buy it got their copy and no-one else was very interested. (Their loss)

It would be interesting to see how many copies have been sold to date worldwide but I doubt she was relying on sales to pay the bills! I imagine she still has enough to feed Dougal and George.

Gail
Old 04-24-2006, 05:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh

It would be interesting to see how many copies have been sold to date worldwide but I doubt she was relying on sales to pay the bills! I imagine she still has enough to feed Dougal and George.

Gail
She did mention in several of those interviews that she didn't expect ITM to sell very much & that she was fine with that. And, yes I'm sure Dougal & George have all the dog biscuits they need.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh
Does anyone know what the UK sales are?

I'm guessing not very much.

I think I might have everyone who bought it in the UK round to mine for a party! I need to know how many sandwiches to make

Gail

PS My house is quite small
What, no one from the states is invited? At least offer to send some of those sandwiches to us! Your American cousins need to party too.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by profjohn
What, no one from the states is invited? At least offer to send some of those sandwiches to us! Your American cousins need to party too.
the half a dozen who bought it in the UK I could manage but 20,000 americans?

Gail
Old 05-01-2006, 07:09 AM

Some additional ITM info

It did not make the Billboard top 200, but made #32 on the independant album charts!

The single 'Friend' made #29 on the Adult Contemporary chart
Old 05-01-2006, 02:27 PM

I have the official UK chart position now!

#133 for 1 week on 03.07.04

I now highly doubt it sold more than 500 copies that week, let alone 500 copies so far!!
Old 05-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I think that's probably right. She recorded the album in her barn/studio on her property. It probably cost her very little to make. It was mostly her and her nephew who worked on the album...maybe she added a little something in her will for Dan. She might have even made a tiny profit from the whole thing. This wasn't like Fleetwood Mac in the old days who had to sell a lot of records because they spent an obscene amount of money. Fleetwood Mac probably didn't make any money on SYW because they spent alot of money. If you don't spend as much, then you don't have to sell as much to make a profit.

By the way, that 20,000 sales figure was as of the end of 2004. The album may have sold a bit more last year. I doubt it's selling anything much anymore. It's been 2 years since it was first released.
I still see them refilling it in Best Buy.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The low sales are pretty sad, especially since it's a fantastic record. If she'd released it in the mid-80s, ITM would have charted very well, I think--even more so than her second solo album.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Junior Ledgie

Hey folks. I know thread is a few months old, but I guess this could be a reminder to people that never got around to buying ITM, to do so sooner rather than later, since as mentioned, it could go OOP soon (if it isn't now).
jr.com and amazon both have it for $10.

Also wanted to mention that I heard Friend a few times on the Hot AC/modern rock station here in Nashville, back when it was released. I remember seeing it listed on their playlist online back then too (wrlt.com). They played the singles from SYW, and are playing Lindsey's single now (you'll see it listed there).
I also heard Friend played over the PA in a couple different grocery/dept. stores around here.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've also heard "Friend" in the grocery store. I think it made its way onto an adult contemporary music compilation to be played in retail businesses. I've heard other Christine songs over the years in the same grocery store.

As for In the Meantime's lackluster sales figures, that has nothing to do with the quality of the music and everything to do with the lack of promotion.

I second the motion to go out and buy ITM now, before it is unavailable. The reason to buy it has nothing to do with some silly idea of being a 'Fleetwood Mac completist' -- the reason to buy it is because it is a really great album. Anyone who enjoys Christine's music with Fleetwood Mac will enjoy this album.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
I've also heard "Friend" in the grocery store. I think it made its way onto an adult contemporary music compilation to be played in retail businesses. I've heard other Christine songs over the years in the same grocery store.

As for In the Meantime's lackluster sales figures, that has nothing to do with the quality of the music and everything to do with the lack of promotion.

I second the motion to go out and buy ITM now, before it is unavailable. The reason to buy it has nothing to do with some silly idea of being a 'Fleetwood Mac completist' -- the reason to buy it is because it is a really great album. Anyone who enjoys Christine's music with Fleetwood Mac will enjoy this album.
Yes, I've heard Friend several times in various stores.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've also heard "Friend" in the grocery store. And, "Don't Stop", "You Make Loving Fun", "Hold Me" & "Little Lies". Just about about all of the Fleetwood Mac related songs that I've heard while grocery shopping have been Christine McVie songs.