User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-20-2021, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
you are not SELLING it and asking people to PAY for it on youtube.

If you created a video that you were wanting to put up for sale of you doing anything to Gaga's song, you bet your butt you'd have to get permission. She owns the copyright.

It's the same when a tv show or movie wants to use a song in a movie/show they create and then sell to a network or charge admission to see. You can't profit off of someone else's intellectual property just because you think they've made enough from it already.
When you said he used Dreams without her permission, was that for the TikTok video or for this NFT offering?

Because I thought TikTok videos were free for the public to see. I saw his skateboard video on Twitter not TikTok.
Did he sell the famous video of him on TikTok back in Fall 2020?
Old 03-20-2021, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
When you said he used Dreams without her permission, was that for the TikTok video or for this NFT offering?

Because I thought TikTok videos were free for the public to see. I saw his skateboard video on Twitter not TikTok.
Did he sell the famous video of him on TikTok back in Fall 2020?
He is putting the video of himself skateboarding (that appeared on TikTok) up for sale, so someone else can own a copy of it (or possibly it's the original he's selling and thus whoever buys it also the owns the rights to it? I am not at all clear how an NFT works on that). And he wants the music included in it. You pay him and he splits the money with Stevie in exchange for her allowing the actual music track to be included. She said no thanks. So he can sell the bit he owns, which is the video, without the bit she owns, which is the audio.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He is putting the video of himself skateboarding (that appeared on TikTok) up for sale, so someone else can own a copy of it (or possibly it's the original he's selling and thus whoever buys it also the owns the rights to it? I am not at all clear how an NFT works on that). And he wants the music included in it. You pay him and he splits the money with Stevie in exchange for her allowing the actual music track to be included. She said no thanks. So he can sell the bit he owns, which is the video, without the bit she owns, which is the audio.
Wait a second here... Didn't Stevie just sell her catalo?. Maybe it's them saying no thanks. Aren't they the ones managing the rights to the song now?
Old 03-20-2021, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

by the way, Ocean Spray had their logo crossed off of his video, but they aren't getting flack for it.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Wait a second here... Didn't Stevie just sell her catalo?. Maybe it's them saying no thanks. Aren't they the ones managing the rights to the song now?
There’s a distinction between the Fleetwood Mac recording and Stevie’s songwriter rights. The performance of Dreams by Fleetwood Mac was not Stevie’s to sell.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She still retains a 20% stake in her copyrights. For all we know her deal could have included the legal rights to approve where her songs will get used.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
by the way, Ocean Spray had their logo crossed off of his video, but they aren't getting flack for it.
I didn't see Nathan said Ocean Spray refused. I think they should permit him to sell the video with their logo on the product.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I didn't see Nathan said Ocean Spray refused. I think they should permit him to sell the video with their logo on the product.
you could invite him over and let him pick through your things and take whatever he likes....
Old 03-21-2021, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
She still retains a 20% stake in her copyrights. For all we know her deal could have included the legal rights to approve where her songs will get used.
Landslide has been used in AirBnB ads in the UK the last month or so.... though it's a cover, not the FM version.

you can watch it here: https://www.tvadvertmusic.com/airbnb...e-singer-song/

You can track use of FM songs here: https://www.tunefind.com/artist/fleetwood-mac

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 03-21-2021 at 06:36 PM..
Old 03-21-2021, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
you could invite him over and let him pick through your things and take whatever he likes....
I'm a Dem, baby. Sorry it's bothering you!
Old 03-21-2021, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm a Dem, baby. Sorry it's bothering you!
So am I, baby, but I'm still not into handing over what people worked hard to create just because someone think they're "entitled" to it... Like I said, if you want to give your own stuff away, more power to you.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
FLEETWOOD MAC SKATEBOARDER
STEVIE NICKS CRUSHED MY 'DREAMS' ...
Blocked Song from NFT!!!

Nathan Apodaca has some dreams he'd like to sell, but Stevie Nicks just won't let it happen ... so says the skateboarder who went viral for vibing to her hit song.

A rep for Nathan, AKA Doggface, tells TMZ ... Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" is part of the Warner Music Group catalog, so they reached out to see if they could include the track on the famous 23-second TikTok clip of Nathan skateboarding to it while sipping on cranberry juice ... which he wants to sell as a non-fungible token (NFT).

We're told Doggface's team offered Stevie -- who wrote the song -- 50 percent from the sale ... but she shot it down.

Nathan's rep says he feels slighted because Stevie never acknowledged him after his "Dreams" video went viral -- unlike some other members of Fleetwood Mac did -- even though it helped give her song a major boost.

We're told, Doggface thinks her rejection of his NFT offer shows she wants nothing to do with him or his video.

We broke the story ... Nathan's still going ahead with selling the NFT of his original video, but it will be without the music since they couldn't secure the rights.

The NFT will now go up for sale March 27 with opening bids set at a whopping $500,000, so Stevie might regret her decision ... IF someone buys it for that much.

We reached out to Stevie's team ... no word back.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/03/19/stevi...teboarder-nft/

I think he's doing fine. Some artists may have sued him for unauthorized use of the song in the first place. It's also worth noting that Ocean Spray will not allow him to use their logo in the proposed sale either. If I thought I could have cleaned up like that just from recording myself singing someone's song I would have done it a long time ago. I can't skateboard, but I'm sure I could have roller-skated or ridden my bike.

https://www.complex.com/life/2020/10...-profit-5-days
Old 03-22-2021, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So am I, baby, but I'm still not into handing over what people worked hard to create just because someone think they're "entitled" to it... Like I said, if you want to give your own stuff away, more power to you.
Sounds like you might not support reparations.

"Enititled" is the word republicans use. She's not required to but if she buys what she's selling, but she could help a person of color and also profit from this NFT sale.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:50 PM
bombaysaffires
This message has been deleted by bombaysaffires.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the TikTok guy ought to take his bizarro request and file it. To put it in business terms, he’s saturating the market. The skateboard video was a nice little cultural moment last year, and the new attention for a great song was lovely. But it’s over — on to the next thing.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-22-2021, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I think the TikTok guy ought to take his bizarro request and file it. To put it in business terms, he’s saturating the market. The skateboard video was a nice little cultural moment last year, and the new attention for a great song was lovely. But it’s over — on to the next thing.
Yes, he's second hand news

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood