User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-20-2022, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Heaven forbid I have opinions that don’t line up with others.

After seeing Guided by Voices, Pearl Jam, Richard Thompson, Bob Mould, Clapton, Steve Wiwood, The Byrds, the Rolling Stones, McCartney, CSNY, Heart, and and countless other artists across many genres, I stand by that comment.

The Broadway comment was something he told a fan, someone on here. I believe, at a M&G. His approach is off putting to me. I was done in 2006 with the stipulation unless Christine miraculously came back.
IIRC, the "Broadway show" comment was part of him talking about FM shows, not his solo shows, in particular the "playing a role" the fans expect stuff with Stevie, ie the hand-holding, the gazing at each other, etc.... You know, the stuff both Stevie and Mick were/are all about to sell tickets... give the shippers what they want. It was part of a larger conversation in which he also mentioned that his wife wasn't bothered by it because she and all of his family understood it was a show and he was playing a role onstage. I'd be most interested to see where he's referred to his solo stuff as a Broadway show.
Old 06-20-2022, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
IIRC, the "Broadway show" comment was part of him talking about FM shows, not his solo shows, in particular the "playing a role" the fans expect stuff with Stevie, ie the hand-holding, the gazing at each other, etc.... You know, the stuff both Stevie and Mick were/are all about to sell tickets... give the shippers what they want. It was part of a larger conversation in which he also mentioned that his wife wasn't bothered by it because she and all of his family understood it was a show and he was playing a role onstage. I'd be most interested to see where he's referred to his solo stuff as a Broadway show.
The way I read it was specifically in the context of the prerecords.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-20-2022, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Heaven forbid I have opinions that donÂ’t line up with others.

After seeing Guided by Voices, Pearl Jam, Richard Thompson, Bob Mould, Clapton, Steve Wiwood, The Byrds, the Rolling Stones, McCartney, CSNY, Heart, and and countless other artists across many genres, I stand by that comment.

The Broadway comment was something he told a fan, someone on here. I believe, at a M&G. His approach is off putting to me. I was done in 2006 with the stipulation unless Christine miraculously came back.
There it is everyone, a reference no one asked for, a reference no one cares about. Steve your being a contrarian has nothing to do with a difference of opinion, it is your complete refusal to reason, or hold a debate based on logic and/or stay on point. It's ****ing exhausting and every time you bring up some F-grade musician that no one on this board cares about as a means to somehow strengthen your argument. But ok, you know Broadway, you know what constitutes music and art.

I think I've finally settled my opinion after nearly 20 years of reading your crap. You're right, we're all wrong. Lindsey is trash, Stevie is the reason Fleetwood Mac is successful blah blah blah....

I have never disagreed with you more, Brett has passed away I booked flights from Broken Hill Australia, in the middle of the outback to Paris to see the European tour. Our band is dying and you bring up Richard Thompson...... **** off. and frankly after 20 years on this board and as one of the most respectful posters god I'm sick of you. Imagine if the young impressionable fan I was in 2002 listened to your opinion over ChilliD.... what a warped view of the history of the band I would have.
Old 06-20-2022, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sorry to jam all these 'pre-programed' samples/patches/not real music down your throat. Just wanted to point out the staggering hypocrisy of an ideological conversation with Steve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aghn0df0M5s

Last edited by justcrazylove; 06-20-2022 at 05:45 PM..
Old 06-20-2022, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcrazylove View Post
Steve your being a contrarian has nothing to do with a difference of opinion, it is your complete refusal to reason, or hold a debate based on logic and/or stay on point.
What point? That I don’t dig the prerecords? Enough has come out that the band didn’t dig them, either. It’s goofy, especially for someone who claims to be an artistic genius. Just rearrange the songs, i.e. “Over My Head” 75-77. There are plenty of artists who do actual art out there. Also, Clapton, Winwood, Pearl Jam, and CSNY are going to be pissed at being called F-List celebrities.

Quote:
It's ****ing exhausting and every time you bring up some F-grade musician that no one on this board cares about as a means to somehow strengthen your argument.
Lindsey is claiming to be something he’s not and there are countless examples of artists who prove it every single day. Sorry you’re too lazy to figure out that point.

Quote:
But ok, you know Broadway, you know what constitutes music and art.
“Broadway” was Lindsey’s comment, not mine. Broadway, to me, isn’t rock.

For the record, I wrote off Fleetwood Mac in 2006 unless Christine ever came back. I was and am kind of sick with both Stevie and Lindsey.

Quote:
I think I've finally settled my opinion after nearly 20 years of reading your crap. You're right, we're all wrong. Lindsey is trash, Stevie is the reason Fleetwood Mac is successful blah blah blah....
If you’ve paid any attention to my posts over the past 20 years, I typically give credit to Mick, John, and Christine for that, but go on…

Quote:
I have never disagreed with you more, Brett has passed away I booked flights from Broken Hill Australia, in the middle of the outback to Paris to see the European tour. Our band is dying and you bring up Richard Thompson...... **** off.
This discussion predates Brett’s passing and has nothing to do with him. The first time I ever saw Brett and actually met him was at a Mick Fleetwood’s Zoo show in 1992, five years before he was part of Fleetwood Mac’s entourage. I was thrilled for him that he got to be part of it.

Quote:
and frankly after 20 years on this board and as one of the most respectful posters god I'm sick of you. Imagine if the young impressionable fan I was in 2002 listened to your opinion over ChilliD.... what a warped view of the history of the band I would have.
Hate to tell you, but SteveD agreed with me on Lindsey. We were both posting on FM News on FB about being okay with Finn and Campbell. He was thrilled Lindsey was out of the band. In fact, we agreed on almost all of the band’s history.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 06-20-2022 at 06:54 PM..
Old 06-20-2022, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What point? That I don’t dig the prerecords? Enough has come out that the band didn’t dig them, either. It’s goofy, especially for someone who claims to be an artistic genius. Just rearrange the songs, i.e. “Over My Head” 75-77. There are plenty of artists who do actual art out there. Also, Clapton, Winwood, Pearl Jam, and CSNY are going to be pissed at being called F-List celebrities.

Lindsey is claiming to be something he’s not and there are countless examples of artists who prove it every single day. Sorry you’re too lazy to figure out that point.

“Broadway” was Lindsey’s comment, not mine. Broadway, to me, isn’t rock.

For the record, I wrote off Fleetwood Mac in 2006 unless Christine ever came back. I was and am kind of sick with both Stevie and Lindsey.

If you’ve paid any attention to my posts over the past 20 years, I typically give credit to Mick, John, and Christine for that, but go on…

This discussion predates Brett’s passing and has nothing to do with him. The first time I ever saw Brett and actually met him was at a Mick Fleetwood’s Zoo show in 1992, five years before he was part of Fleetwood Mac’s entourage. I was thrilled for him that he got to be part of it.

Hate to tell you, but SteveD agreed with me on Lindsey. We were both posting on FM News on FB about being okay with Finn and Campbell. He was thrilled Lindsey was out of the band. In fact, we agreed on almost all of the band’s history.
You insufferable egotist.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You insufferable egotist.
That’s how we referred to each other since 1995. I was SteveMacD and he was SteveD. Sorry our shorthand offends you.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-20-2022, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For the record…
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Ok, by special request, I'm here.

"Cover band"?? So what?

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers were pretty much a cover band....look how many tunes they played in concert from artists like the Yardbirds, the Kinks, the Animals, Them, Cbuck Berry, the Rolling Stones, Thunderclap Newman, John Lee Hooker, Booker T & The MG's, the Traveling Wilburys...and, Fleetwood Mac (among dozens & dozens of others)...and all those bands did covers as well.

Stevie's covered at least TWO Tom Petty tunes (not counting "Stop Draggin'....") in concert and on album. So, with Mike Campbell in the band now, of COURSE they're going to play a Tom Petty tune or two...my guess is the obvious ones, "I Need To Know" & "Free Fallin'"

EVERY band covers other people...it's a NORMAL thing. Especially, bands who have many personnel changes, the next in line play songs by previous personnel.

And, again, Fleetwood Mac has had 18 members (11 guitarists) and your world is ending because ONE of them isn't in the band anymore?

JEZZZZUSSSSS people pull your heads out, take a valium, smoke a joint, whatever your vice is & get it together.

There's new blood in Fleetwood Mac...not like it hasn't happened before. When Lindsey & Stevie joined they were incarnation #10, TEN!! Personnel changes are a Fleetwood Mac fact of life! The aboration is that they've gone as long as they have without one.

Buckingham is a musician, he was planning a solo tour & album and guess what? He'll keep making music. Just not with Fleetwood Mac. NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. In fact, he'll probably be MORE prolific now that he doesn't have to compromise with the rest of the band.

As SteveMacD pointed out...even Lindsey & Stevie had to "pay their dues" by doing songs by previous Fleetwood Mac members...I don't recall people slashing their wrists or going on verbal tirades because of it. Grow TF UP!!!

Fleetwood Mac is dead....LONG LIVE FLEETWOOD MAC!!!

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-20-2022, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Every thread becomes the same circular discussion. It is such a joyless place here now. Each thread, every subsequent reply, a race to see who can be degraded next, who can be made to feel worse.

Smile some folks, being nice to one another brings so much more joy than spending every waking minute trying to win an argument, where there is no winner, because opinion and taste are subjective.

Last edited by John Run; 06-20-2022 at 08:04 PM..
Old 06-20-2022, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For the recordÂ…
Was 2018 Fleetwood Mac the first lineup debut that didn't perform new songs?
Billy and Rick performed the new Tango songs. Lindsey and Stevie did songs in 1975 that went on The White Album.

Edit: I hope you have a fantastic birthday.

Last edited by UnwindedDreams; 06-20-2022 at 08:51 PM..
Old 06-20-2022, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Was 2018 Fleetwood Mac the first lineup debut that didn't perform new songs?
Billy and Rick performed the new Tango songs. Lindsey and Stevie did songs in 1975 that went on The White Album.
FM toured twice in the 2000s without performing new music that I remember- the Unleashed Tour, aka their greatest hits, and the tour where Christine rejoined. As for the 2018 tour not having new music, I understand you meant new recorded music, but for them to sing Black Magic Woman, All Over Again, Don’t Dream It’s Over, Free Falling, and I Got You, well that was all new music to me. I only wish Neil had performed Man of the World in the US. I have always loved that song and wished SOMEONE in FM would have sang it live in the last 25 years!
Old 06-20-2022, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Run View Post
Every thread becomes the same circular discussion. It is such a joyless place here now. Each thread, every subsequent reply, a race to see who can be degraded next, who can be made to feel worse.

Smile some folks, being nice to one another brings so much more joy than spending every waking minute trying to win an argument, where there is no winner, because opinion and taste are subjective.
I agree, even if in this instance I was both the instigator and the culprit.

I asked a question earlier this week in one of the seldom times I've posted, it was a question relevant to this thread and was totally ignored.

We are losing people within this community who hold a wealth of information and expertise regarding this band. What is left is conversations about samples, Richard Thompson, how Stevie is *insert horrible name tinged in misogyny* and how Lindsey is a monster. BORING
Old 06-20-2022, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
FM toured twice in the 2000s without performing new music that I remember- the Unleashed Tour, aka their greatest hits, and the tour where Christine rejoined. As for the 2018 tour not having new music, I understand you meant new recorded music, but for them to sing Black Magic Woman, All Over Again, Don’t Dream It’s Over, Free Falling, and I Got You, well that was all new music to me. I only wish Neil had performed Man of the World in the US. I have always loved that song and wished SOMEONE in FM would have sang it live in the last 25 years!
Unleashed was the first-time IKINW (sorry in 2004 it made a late appearance), Storms and the full band GI was performed; in addition, to the terrible SYLM cover. These are not new songs but were vital to keeping FM as a touring act interesting.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Unleashed was the first-time IKINW (sorry in 2004 it made a late appearance), Storms and the full band GI was performed; in addition, to the terrible SYLM cover. These are not new songs but were vital to keeping FM as a touring act interesting.
Good points. That 2004 tour is where I fell in love with IKINW- for some reason that song didn’t do anything for me on Tusk, but when FM played it live, the song blew me away! So damn catchy! I think it may have taken a while to grow on me because the chorus doesn’t kick in until well into the song. And Storms has always been a favorite of mine, and I was bummed they dropped it in 2018 before I got to see them.

I really wish FM would have toured when they rereleased their Deluxe Editions- how I would have loved a tour where they played Tusk, but also Sara, IKINW, Storms, Think About Me, Brown Eyes, and some more. Or imagine a tour with Mirage songs- not just Gypsy, but also Hold Me, Love in Store, Eyes of the World, Wish You Were Here, That’s Alright, and Book of Love. Lost opportunities, but honestly I would have rather heard those deep cuts instead of new material like the EP or Say You Will.

I’m curious how you feel about deep cuts versus new material- do you think more deep cuts would have kept FM tours more interesting?
Old 06-20-2022, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Hi bwboy, I wrote lineup debut. Unleashed was not a lineup debut. And I don't mean recorded music either, on the Time Tour they sang new songs that were not released yet.

Interesting about those 2018 performances being new music to you! If they had performed "Baby Got Back" in 2018, would that have been new music?