User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-08-2022, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohv View Post
I agree! I don't think she could pull off Wild Heart with as much gusto as that song would need but I bet she could do Bella Donna.
Maybe it's because they're not really well known songs so she shortens them for people's attention spans.

Wild Heart deserves to be played in full. That whole song is one of her masterpieces.

Thank you so much for sharing the videos from last night. I noticed there weren't any strobe lights or anything during Edge. Very different stage setup than when she played the big festival in Hyde Park London!
Old 05-08-2022, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
But not Free Fallin'?

I don't get the Wild Heart and Bella Donna sampling. Play the whole songs.
I don’t like her recorded version of Free Falling, but it sure was effective when she performed it live with Fleetwood Mac. But I agree with you, she should have replaced it with one of her solo hits, I just forgot to specifically mention that song.

With Covid, she probably didn’t get to practice as much before this gig, so the band just played Wild Heart and Bella Donna the way they had during 24 Karat. Both songs are fairly long anyway, so even only playing half of each song was still pretty long.

Considering her age, I have lower expectations for seeing her live. Same thing with Christine and Lindsey. I understand their songs aren’t going to sound as good live. They’re in their 70s. It’s amazing none of them are using walkers. Phil Collins did the Genesis tour sitting on a stool and not playing drums. Unfortunate but it sounds like it was an entertaining show and he probably felt great being on stage again. I say go see all these folks live in concert while you have the opportunity and they’re able to perform.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As much as I hate to say this… Stevie should retire her live shows. This chapter has closed as it also has with Fleetwood Mac live.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
As much as I hate to say this… Stevie should retire her live shows. This chapter has closed as it also has with Fleetwood Mac live.
You don’t have to hate to say that, it’s your opinion. So don’t go to her concerts or watch her live videos on YouTube, and problem solved. Then let the other folks who want to spend money go see her and enjoy themselves, just like they do with Dolly Parton, The Rolling Stones, Phil Collins, Loretta Lynn, Crystal Gayle, and any other singer who’s in their 70s but still performing. I mean, if Abba toured again, I’d go and see them, knowing perfectly well it wouldn’t be the same as seeing them live 40 years ago.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohv View Post
I like the long curly hair
She's going for the Waddy look.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
You don’t have to hate to say that, it’s your opinion. So don’t go to her concerts or watch her live videos on YouTube, and problem solved. Then let the other folks who want to spend money go see her and enjoy themselves, just like they do with Dolly Parton, The Rolling Stones, Phil Collins, Loretta Lynn, Crystal Gayle, and any other singer who’s in their 70s but still performing. I mean, if Abba toured again, I’d go and see them, knowing perfectly well it wouldn’t be the same as seeing them live 40 years ago.
Yeah, this. Honestly I’d pay to watch her sit in a rocking chair knitting a sweater on stage I’ve never really given a **** what she (or anyone else in her age group) sounds like during live shows. With me, it’s kind of like when my kid draws me a picture. I don’t actually care if it’s a good picture. I just immediately smile and hang it on the fridge. I love every picture because I love her. And I think of old ass icons the same way. Just thrilled to have the chance to be in the presence of someone who means a lot to me, since they won’t be here forever.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What a lovely analogy. Thank you for sharing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannondontgo View Post
With me, it’s kind of like when my kid draws me a picture. I don’t actually care if it’s a good picture. I just immediately smile and hang it on the fridge. I love every picture because I love her.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:44 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannondontgo View Post
Yeah, this. Honestly I’d pay to watch her sit in a rocking chair knitting a sweater on stage I’ve never really given a **** what she (or anyone else in her age group) sounds like during live shows. With me, it’s kind of like when my kid draws me a picture. I don’t actually care if it’s a good picture. I just immediately smile and hang it on the fridge. I love every picture because I love her. And I think of old ass icons the same way. Just thrilled to have the chance to be in the presence of someone who means a lot to me, since they won’t be here forever.
I love what you said. I decided on Saturday to drive from Florida to New Orleans to catch this show. I was not disappointed. Like this post, I am just so happy to be in her presence. It takes me away to another place and just totally relaxes me. Now, in hindsight, I hate that I started my leaving during the Edge thinking that would be the last song. I loved everything about the show and will go again if she comes anywhere near me. She did join Wild Heart and Bella Donna and briefly mentioned the shawl at the end of the song. I don't know how many people were there-I feel upwards of 50K and everyone seemed to really be into the show. She looked amazing and sounded amazing, in my opinion. Just so happy for the chance to see her again. This is probably my 100th time seeing her (just kidding but probably close) and I can close my eyes and imagine the high kicks and wild dancing of her younger days, but that voice also just takes me away.

Last edited by gjack5404; 05-09-2022 at 12:50 PM..
Old 05-09-2022, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She did a great job here. Glad to see her back out on the road — for a million reasons.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-10-2022, 08:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm glad the fingerless gloves are gone. And I love the little boots.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 05-10-2022, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjack5404 View Post
I love what you said. I decided on Saturday to drive from Florida to New Orleans to catch this show. I was not disappointed. Like this post, I am just so happy to be in her presence. It takes me away to another place and just totally relaxes me. Now, in hindsight, I hate that I started my leaving during the Edge thinking that would be the last song. I loved everything about the show and will go again if she comes anywhere near me. She did join Wild Heart and Bella Donna and briefly mentioned the shawl at the end of the song. I don't know how many people were there-I feel upwards of 50K and everyone seemed to really be into the show. She looked amazing and sounded amazing, in my opinion. Just so happy for the chance to see her again. This is probably my 100th time seeing her (just kidding but probably close) and I can close my eyes and imagine the high kicks and wild dancing of her younger days, but that voice also just takes me away.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like you had a great time! I hate large crowds, so being around 50K people would have freaked me out.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

Quote:
I don't think it's respectful to say to BLY to not go to concerts or watch YouTube videos. I mean YouTube is free so why not watch the videos And why is there a problem needing to be solved? They didn't say I can't listen to her ever again.
As you stated, they don't feel Stevie or FM should continue their live shows; that feeling is not a "problem."
People are free to critique performances. I love Stevie and I watched the Jazz Fest performance of Gypsy, and it sounded very different from her 2016 performances. The "you see your Gypsy"s have dropped in range. If I paid $500-$1,500 to see her sing like that, I'd be disappointed.

Mick Jagger and Keith sound amazing.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think it's respectful to say to BLY to not go to concerts or watch YouTube videos. I mean YouTube is free so why not watch the videos And why is there a problem needing to be solved? They didn't say I can't listen to her ever again.
As you stated, they don't feel Stevie or FM should continue their live shows; that feeling is not a "problem."
People are free to critique performances. I love Stevie and I watched the Jazz Fest performance of Gypsy, and it sounded very different from her 2016 performances. The "you see your Gypsy"s have dropped in range. If I paid $500-$1,500 to see her sing like that, I'd be disappointed.

Mick Jagger and Keith sound amazing.
Critiquing a performance is fine… saying someone should quit touring is a different thing. I definitely did not mean to be disrespectful to BLY, and I don’t think I was. If I hate horror movies, I could say I hate them and they shouldn’t be made anymore; or I could just say, I hate horror movies, so I don’t watch them. I wouldn’t say they shouldn’t be made anymore. For me to say, I don’t think Pat Benatar should tour anymore because she can’t sing as well as she did 40 years ago, or 10 years ago, or 2 years ago, is disrespectful, I think. Why rain on people’s parade, you know what I mean? When I saw Blondie several years back and was telling some friends what a great show it was, one friend said “oh my god, she’s still touring?” Why my friend was so irritated about Blondie touring I have no idea.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Critiquing a performance is fine… saying someone should quit touring is a different thing. I definitely did not mean to be disrespectful to BLY, and I don’t think I was. If I hate horror movies, I could say I hate them and they shouldn’t be made anymore; or I could just say, I hate horror movies, so I don’t watch them. I wouldn’t say they shouldn’t be made anymore. For me to say, I don’t think Pat Benatar should tour anymore because she can’t sing as well as she did 40 years ago, or 10 years ago, or 2 years ago, is disrespectful, I think. Why rain on people’s parade, you know what I mean? When I saw Blondie several years back and was telling some friends what a great show it was, one friend said “oh my god, she’s still touring?” Why my friend was so irritated about Blondie touring I have no idea.
So should posts in this thread about this live concert or videos of this concert only be praise for the performances?

Maybe the moderators will advise.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So should posts in this thread about this live concert or videos of this concert only be praise for the performances?

Maybe the moderators will advise.
Michele has always appreciated honesty. I'd say post away with whatever!