User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Nah I could not watch it all the way through .Her vocals have been pretty much the same for the last twenty years or so but she is moving like a very elderly person.The spins were brutal. Performing as a rock star on stage has a shelf life and hers seems to have expired. Since we are bringing up other female rockers or former rockers I have to agree with Grace Slick's remarks about old people on a rock and roll stage. Also this is a forum . Watching performances or part of performances and talking about them is what is done here.
BUT I LOVE HER, AND YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO MAKE FUN OF HER!

Oh wait, yes you are allowed...
Old 05-20-2022, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Is she opening with Outside the Rain? I've never understood that.

The only rationale I can think of is that Dreams seems to have both in her sets and FM sets this standard slot of second song in the set. Given how she likes to roll Outside the Rain into Dreams, that puts OTR first.

I agree there are other songs that would be nice to hear. Angel continues to be one of them for me, but the caveat is that I don't like her solo versions; the FM live version is far, far better.
I agree that both she and FM have a duo or trio pattern of songs they like to use in a certain way and sequence in the set and OTR is a part of her pattern. She'll do it with HSML too. I actually appreciate it. I like having a song that is a stage standard but isn't something you'll hear on the radio.

Also, there is a mentality of "don't start too hot." Let it build. They don't want to begin with a song that's too popular. They want to ascend.

Last edited by michelej1; 05-20-2022 at 03:39 AM..
Old 05-20-2022, 05:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I agree that both she and FM have a duo or trio pattern of songs they like to use in a certain way and sequence in the set and OTR is a part of her pattern. She'll do it with HSML too. I actually appreciate it. I like having a song that is a stage standard but isn't something you'll hear on the radio.

Also, there is a mentality of "don't start too hot." Let it build. They don't want to begin with a song that's too popular. They want to ascend.
She used to open with Stand Back and Fall From Grace! Fall From Grace was an awesome opener. Gold and Braid was fun because even though it wasn't well known in the arena, people could dance to the chorus.

I think The Chain builds and it's a hot opener.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
She used to open with Stand Back and Fall From Grace! Fall From Grace was an awesome opener. Gold and Braid was fun because even though it wasn't well known in the arena, people could dance to the chorus.

I think The Chain builds and it's a hot opener.
I agree. Gold and Braid was a fantastic opener. I also loved that she dropped Dreams from the set when I saw a later 24k Gold leg.

Outside the Rain became and opener during the RAL tour. She was still opening with Gold Dust woman but shortened her set dropping GDW and Sara. She stuck with OTR forever as the opener and her sets became so stale. I have always thought a full rock version of I Cant Wait would be a great opener. Not sure she could pull it off today though.
BTW, I loved the Benmont Tench/Waddy versions of GDW on the BD/Wild Heart tours. It was mystical, rocking, and a great opener. The way she does it today would not be a great opener. I may be in the minority but dont care for Fall From Grace. Its just her singing fast. There is not much music. She thinks its a rocker but does not even have a guitar solo. But dont get me started about Sheryl Crow and TISRL because most of that album is so freaking boring.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-20-2022 at 06:31 AM..
Old 05-23-2022, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think Stevie has to retire; I just wish she'd evolve. Her insistence on the same set, same movements, same attire, etc. reduces her to a caricature.

I mean, Tony Bennett was recording and performing into his 90s. His pairing with Gaga introduced him to a new generation in an age-appropriate way. Same thing with Loretta Lynn. She recorded Van Lear Rose with Jack White in her 70s and resurrected her career.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
I don't think Stevie has to retire; I just wish she'd evolve. Her insistence on the same set, same movements, same attire, etc. reduces her to a caricature.

I mean, Tony Bennett was recording and performing into his 90s. His pairing with Gaga introduced him to a new generation in an age-appropriate way. Same thing with Loretta Lynn. She recorded Van Lear Rose with Jack White in her 70s and resurrected her career.
I like how you put that.

I also wish that she realized that what lives on are the recordings. Live performances evaporate and only live in the memories of those who were there. Looking good onstage and dancing around is nice, and enjoyable to experience, but the only things that live after you are gone (or after you can no longer sing/perform) are the recordings. That's how future generations who weren't alive at the time can know about you and why people were such fans of yours.... and she was either so messed up on drugs for so many of the concerts that got recorded, and/or her voice so shot that there are some really awful performances documented. Then you add to that that she basically stopped recording any new music of her own after 2003.... there's no as you say evolution, no growth, no continuing arc to her career where we get to see how her storytelling continued to evolve over time from her 20s to her 70s. It's more like as a songwriter she fell off a cliff and disappeared in 2003 because she's had nothing new to say. I don't know that future generations (after she's long gone) will listen to her stuff and still think she's a "legend"
Old 06-11-2022, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Anyone know if Stevie did anything different in Portland last night?
Old 06-12-2022, 07:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This Stand Back from Portland has traces of the Boston 1996 festival concert. Stevie is back and pumped up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxr_MoZEDxM
Old 06-12-2022, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
This Stand Back from Portland has traces of the Boston 1996 festival concert. Stevie is back and pumped up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxr_MoZEDxM
Snooze Fest
Old 06-12-2022, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Snooze Fest
Viv! She's almost jumping in the video.

I think she lets loose when she's not shawled up.
Old 06-12-2022, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Snooze Fest
It’s about as good as any version she’s done of Stand Back since Say You Will. The “modern” performances of Stand Back are all rather perfunctory and lack any attempt to really stand out vocally. I don’t think it’s bad it’s just…
Old 06-13-2022, 05:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

A nice performance of Moonlight from this past weekend. No falsetto at the end like on the 24 Karat Gold Tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNC8fjrgoa0
Old 06-13-2022, 07:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post

I couldn’t agree more, you’ve described exactly how I feel about Stevie these days.
Sing some different, really different songs,
stop wearing corsets, (we all put on weight..as we get older)
please please please stop wearing bloomin’ black.
Old 06-14-2022, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
I couldn’t agree more, you’ve described exactly how I feel about Stevie these days.
Sing some different, really different songs,
stop wearing corsets, (we all put on weight..as we get older)
please please please stop wearing bloomin’ black.
I think they get locked in to the star personas they have to sell as part of being a Big Act. Mick is really the only one among all of them who is inclined to play a little club somewhere and let his hair down. The rest of them have to mount a tour or big show before they appear anywhere, even a guest spot. They seem to think that you shouldn’t do any music in public that you haven’t worked out completely beforehand.

Remember that scene in The Rose where Rose climbs up onstage in a rowdy honkytonk bar and just sings for the pure hell of it?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-14-2022, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I think they get locked in to the star personas they have to sell as part of being a Big Act. Mick is really the only one among all of them who is inclined to play a little club somewhere and let his hair down. The rest of them have to mount a tour or big show before they appear anywhere, even a guest spot. They seem to think that you shouldn’t do any music in public that you haven’t worked out completely beforehand.

Remember that scene in The Rose where Rose climbs up onstage in a rowdy honkytonk bar and just sings for the pure hell of it?
To quote Stevie, "not gonna happen"