Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 2021 Movie Reviews

1. Cruella, grade C+ = although this movie got better toward the end, I really didn’t like it that much. It an origin story and has a weak plot. To give the movie energy, they have music blaring in the background almost throughout the entire movie. It almost feels like a big music video and it gave me Cat Woman vibes, which was a terrible movie starring Halle Berry. The best thing about this movie is Emma Thompson. She gives a great performance as the main villain. I wouldn’t really want to watch this movie again.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

2. The Quiet Place 2, grade B+ = this is a good horror movie. Everything is solid about it. There are plenty of tense moments and lots of action. The reason I didn’t give it an A is it is too much like The Quiet Place 1 and we don’t learn that much more about the monsters. However, it is still effective and I would definitely watch it again. I think this is best seen on the big screen. Also, there is definitely going to be another sequel.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

After last year’s relative wasteland this has been an astonishing year for movies ... let’s see if I have the energy to articulate why ... but don’t miss these great-to-remarkable films

Shoplifters of the World
Summer of 85
Saint-Narcisse
Sublet
Zack Snyder’s Justice League
Army of the Dead
Sin
About Endlessness
Keep an Eye Out
Coming 2 America
Sin Hijos
Mandibles
Dear Comrades
Cliff Walkers
Sophie Jones
French Exit
Georgetown

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
After last year’s relative wasteland this has been an astonishing year for movies ... let’s see if I have the energy to articulate why ... but don’t miss these great-to-remarkable films

Shoplifters of the World
Summer of 85
Saint-Narcisse
Sublet
Zack Snyder’s Justice League
Army of the Dead
Sin
About Endlessness
Keep an Eye Out
Coming 2 America
Sin Hijos
Mandibles
Dear Comrades
Cliff Walkers
Sophie Jones
French Exit
Georgetown
Never heard of some of these.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

3. The Conjuring 3, the Devil Made Me Do it, grade B- = not near as good as the first two Conjuring movies, but does have it's moments. It also has high production values and some of the exorcism scenes are done really well. I love horror movies, and this wasn't bad. The story just wasn't as good as the first two movies.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Never heard of some of these.
You have much pleasure ahead!

Example: Shoplifters was the first movie I saw when theaters reopened in NYC — and I kept going back! I truly think it’s a great movie — but the subject matter transcends its value as a movie for me. It’s like my dream movie.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 06-09-2021 at 09:16 AM..
Old 07-13-2021, 03:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

4. Black Widow, grade B = This was a solid movie. There are really good action sequences in it, the acting is good and the relationships between the characters are fleshed out. It's also funny. However, the villain sucks. It feels like the movie isn't really about the villain, it's about Black Widow's pseudo family. The lack of a strong villain brings the movie down. The movie seemed small and almost too personal. Although, I liked the movie, I kept thinking this was a missed opportunity for a better movie: it had all the great action sequences, good character development but the stakes weren't just high enough. Still, it was worth viewing.
Old 07-13-2021, 03:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

5. The Forever Purge, grade D = Another purge movie. None of them are great. This movie tries to send a message about immigration, which just makes it desperate. The bottom line is are the kills unique and is the movie scary? The answer is NO! This movie is boring. Blah.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

6. Old, grade C+ = This movie isn't bad, it's just not that good. It's a cheap horror movie about aging but it's not really scary. M Night Shamaylan is the director and he directed the Sixth Sense, Signs, Split, Unbreakable and The Visit, which are pretty good movies. However, he has also directed a bunch of duds. This movie falls somewhere in the middle pack. I don't want to give away any spoilers but the ending saves this movies. I wish that parts of the big reveal at the end of the movie would have been spread out over the duration of the movie instead of just summarized at the end.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

7. Snake Eyes, D - = This is the new GI movie. It's really bad. The marital arts sequences suck, and the movie feels cheap. It's also a bit confusing. Don't waste your money on this movie.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Anyone seen The Green Knight yet? This looks like something that it might be worth going the multi-plex for.

Old 07-31-2021, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Anyone seen The Green Knight yet? This looks like something that it might be worth going the multi-plex for.
It's not playing where I live. It's getting good reviews too.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

8. Suicide Squad 2, grade A- = this movie is funny, gorey, and a real triumph for the DC Universe considering that the first Suicide Squad was a bad movie. It's packed with unique characters, good performances and I think most people are going to like this movie. This is the best I've seen Harley Quinn and it has great cinematography and action sequences. I hope James Gunn directs more DC films. I am going to rewatch this one.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
8. Suicide Squad 2, grade A- = this movie is funny, gorey, and a real triumph for the DC Universe considering that the first Suicide Squad was a bad movie. It's packed with unique characters, good performances and I think most people are going to like this movie. This is the best I've seen Harley Quinn and it has great cinematography and action sequences. I hope James Gunn directs more DC films. I am going to rewatch this one.
Next to Army of the Dead (the Vegas horror film with Bautista)... is this one funnier?

The Shark character just looks too lame for me.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Next to Army of the Dead (the Vegas horror film with Bautista)... is this one funnier?

The Shark character just looks too lame for me.
THE Suicide Squad is not funny or fun. It’s nihilistic and visually repellent.

Meanwhile, here was my mini-review of the original superior film:

Suicide Squad (David Ayer): “You are looking for friends, I’m looking for leverage”: devious Viola Davis sums up divisive Politics 2016. This post-credits dialogue with Bruce Wayne also clarifies the spiritual-comic book underpinning of auteur-producer Zack Snyder and director Ayer’s approach to the conceit of supervillains doing good. Private longings unite this team, as explored in the members’ pop song-scored backstories. Ayer externalizes this longing in graphic-novel imagery that recalls von Sternberg films and Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry music (a karaoke performance of “Love Is the Drug” notably appeared in Snyder’s own Sucker Punch). Such bracing Romanticism climaxes in the final sucker punch landed by MVP Margot Robbie’s Joker-devoted Harley Quinn who refuses to kneel at the altar of power, remaining faithful to an idolatry of love.

2016 JOHNNIE AWARD WINNER: Best Actress (Margot Robbie)

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 08-13-2021 at 08:46 AM..