User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-12-2020, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Lover View Post
I agree with Becca when she says that those songs Chris wrote in the mid 80s were heavily synthesized and sounded very similar to LB songs from Tusk onwards (with all due respect to his fans), but imho Quitela era wasn't that bad. Some of her masterpieces have been released during that time, just think about "Ricky", "Little lies", "Everywhere" and "Isn't it midnight"...anyway, we are talking about the 80s, the era of synthesizers and first computers, so it's no wonder if she too was fascinated by new technologies applied to music back then.
Those "heavily synthesized" Chris songs from that era... I would love to listen them in more acoustic versions. It should be interesting.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I always loved Eddy. He winked at me because he was playing keyboards and could not wave. During Christine's solo tour of 1984 she would take center mic for about 3 songs and he would come on stage and take her seat behind her keyboards. I was 14 and there with friends. We waved and he winked at us
I read this whole thread to make sure I had not commented on already. Yes Eddy wrote some great songs with Chris. However, Eddy was the inspiration for one of Chris's best songs ever Nights in Estoril. That song makes me want to visit Estoril.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I always loved Eddy. He winked at me because he was playing keyboards and could not wave. During Christine's solo tour of 1984 she would take center mic for about 3 songs and he would come on stage and take her seat behind her keyboards. I was 14 and there with friends. We waved and he winked at us
I read this whole thread to make sure I had not commented on already. Yes Eddy wrote some great songs with Chris. However, Eddy was the inspiration for one of Chris's best songs ever Nights in Estoril. That song makes me want to visit Estoril.
I love Sooner or Later and the beautiful atmospheric keys and strings tinkling away throughout the instrumental breaks. I believe that's a co-write w/ Eddy. It also has such a gorgeous melody. And Mick gives a sort of "syncopated" drum solo at the end.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 02-13-2020 at 09:16 AM..
Old 02-13-2020, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What about I Do? Is that Eddie behind the pen?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-14-2020, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Yes, his name appears in the song credits.

Last edited by Villavic; 02-14-2020 at 05:53 PM..
Old 02-14-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I always wondered what this song would song like on an acoustic piano. I love the song and wish it was a little more organic. I believe it's a co-write, too.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy

So sad to read Eddy passed away. I reiterate that I adore many songs from those years
Old 10-23-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
So sad to read Eddy passed away. I reiterate that I adore many songs from those years
They really had a great chemistry. Great ideas. He stretched her out.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
They really had a great chemistry. Great ideas. He stretched her out.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-24-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Haha!! You are crazier than Karen!

But seriously, Love Shines, Heart of Stone, Sooner or Later, ALAYF
I know you hear the nuances that Eddy brought. I would have loved a Quintela/McVie album. Maybe something like: Christine McVie The Reds and Blues of Love 1985.

If she kept writing hits like Got A Hold On Me and Toured albums like Stevie. My guess is she would be somewhere between Nicks and Buck in sales and tour grossing. Guesting Stevie would have helped, too.

Too bad she was tired by the mid 80's. It was nearing 20 years of touring and making records by 1985. But her writing had a lot of potential. Friend and You Are would have been stellar in the 80's. As we saw by 1990's tour she was burnt, leaving the Dance her final contributions. I never really liked Temp. One. Always thought it was vanilla compared to ALAYF, and the above.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I know you hear the nuances that Eddy brought. I would have loved a Quintela/McVie album. Maybe something like: Christine McVie The Reds and Blues of Love 1985.

If she kept writing hits like Got A Hold On Me and Toured albums like Stevie. My guess is she would be somewhere between Nicks and Buck in sales and tour grossing. Guesting Stevie would have helped, too.

Too bad she was tired by the mid 80's. It was nearing 20 years of touring and making records by 1985. But her writing had a lot of potential. Friend and You Are would have been stellar in the 80's. As we saw by 1990's tour she was burnt, leaving the Dance her final contributions. I never really liked Temp. One. Always thought it was vanilla compared to ALAYF, and the above.
There are so many "what if" scenarios with these people and this band that it's hard to believe they left so many different opportunities on the table over the years. I never thought of this one, but you're right, Chris was on fire in the 80's and if she kept writing and churning out hits I think she could have had a very successful solo career.

Temporary One is about as milquetoast and "Chris by numbers" of a song that could have been put on The Dance. It's serviceable but plain and boring. It doesn't belong in the same sentence as As Long as You Follow. I truly believe ALAYF belongs in the Top 5 Christine songs of her entire career. It's sublime. Even though the Greatest Hits album continues to sell, I feel like nobody knows the song and that's a shame.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I dont think she was tired in the mid 80s. She was on top of her game. She claimed to be the only member of the band that actually enjoyed making the Tango album. She also seemed to really enjoy the Tango tour. The 1994 California earthquake really freaked her out and she decided to pack up and move back to England. She agreed to do the Dance but clearly she was not having fun and would not budge on extending even a few dates.
She was loyal to the band even doing Time in 1995. I think her father's death in 1990 was the turning point for her to finally hang it up. The Mac shut down the tour for a few months but she and the band made up the dates. It was this time that she put out the statement the newly "Farewell tour" would be her last.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I dont think she was tired in the mid 80s. She was on top of her game. She claimed to be the only member of the band that actually enjoyed making the Tango album. She also seemed to really enjoy the Tango tour. The 1994 California earthquake really freaked her out and she decided to pack up and move back to England. She agreed to do the Dance but clearly she was not having fun and would not budge on extending even a few dates.
She was loyal to the band even doing Time in 1995. I think her father's death in 1990 was the turning point for her to finally hang it up. The Mac shut down the tour for a few months but she and the band made up the dates. It was this time that she put out the statement the newly "Farewell tour" would be her last.
I don't think her writing declined. I think she was burning out as the 80's progressed. The Tusk Tour took a lot out of all 5 of them.

I give kudos to Stevie Nicks for how much work she put in. Back then it wasn't all ego. I felt that she loved to write, and perform. And that she did.

Christine mentioned wanting to just sit by the pool between albums and tours. I wished she had done more solo work. She was good at it. I love her 3 1/2 albums and the Chicken Shack cuts of hers.

The small tour in 1984 really got me hooked into her crafts. Her quirky keyboard playing, her unique voice, and her nutty personality.

By 1990 I think she was done with the Rock life. I saw her personality change from Tango to BTM. But the time the Dance reunion, she looked beautiful, but burnt. She was on fumes for that tour.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think her writing declined. I think she was burning out as the 80's progressed. The Tusk Tour took a lot out of all 5 of them.

I give kudos to Stevie Nicks for how much work she put in. Back then it wasn't all ego. I felt that she loved to write, and perform. And that she did.

Christine mentioned wanting to just sit by the pool between albums and tours. I wished she had done more solo work. She was good at it. I love her 3 1/2 albums and the Chicken Shack cuts of hers.

The small tour in 1984 really got me hooked into her crafts. Her quirky keyboard playing, her unique voice, and her nutty personality.

By 1990 I think she was done with the Rock life. I saw her personality change from Tango to BTM. But the time the Dance reunion, she looked beautiful, but burnt. She was on fumes for that tour.
She definitely was not having fun during the Dance. You could see it in her face. I think she committed to the Dance in her usual Christine fashion of always putting the band before herself. She did it for them. It also was good for her and put some major cash into her life before her retirement.
The Eagles reunion really made it happen. The promoters saw how much money they were making and convinced everyone to come back and the money was too good to pass up. The Dance tour was sold out everywhere. I remember standing in line and they had to raffle places in line. I was lucky and got in relatively early to buy tickets yet did not score good seats.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
She definitely was not having fun during the Dance. You could see it in her face. I think she committed to the Dance in her usual Christine fashion of always putting the band before herself. She did it for them. It also was good for her and put some major cash into her life before her retirement.
The Eagles reunion really made it happen. The promoters saw how much money they were making and convinced everyone to come back and the money was too good to pass up. The Dance tour was sold out everywhere. I remember standing in line and they had to raffle places in line. I was lucky and got in relatively early to buy tickets yet did not score good seats.
When I stood in line to get tickets, they had a line for every member. Nobody cared they just wanted to get in the smallest line to get those tickets. The lines were huge.