Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Time

This album and line up is one of the most perplexed combinations. I know some fans really liked this, while most others seemed to loathe it. I like the album with the artists that recorded it....but I have a hard time accepting it as an FM album.

The reason for the post and my theory in regards to it "not" being a FM album opposed to BTM being one, is:

(If you own a copy) Check out the liner notes and the additional players listed. After each CM song, Michael Thompson – guitars on tracks 2, 5, 8, 10 & 12 is listed. And on some of the others tracks 3, 4 & 9, Steve Thoma – keyboards is listed.

Chris wasn't even present when they did the photo shoot, she is only pictured with Mick and John, not at all in a full group shot. I think I read somewhere that Chris didn't care for the idea of Dave Mason joining/recording with the band. Whether there is any truth to that, I have no idea, but I am very curious as to why and the circumstances surrounding why Chris was not present for the other band members' recordings.

It's almost as if CM recorded her vocals/keys and guitar and sent in the recordings to the band. Which, I believe isn't far from the truth. Now the same could be said about SN during TITN recording, and I would also have to agree with that.

Any thoughts or knowledge about the recording of Time?

Not many on here like to discuss, listen, or even acknowledge that Time existed. But, I actually like the album. I'd like some expert opinions from ChiliD, SteveMac, or any one else that would like to chime in. Thx.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Time, as it was released, was pretty much a "compromise" album. WB had rejected the original album that was submitted with the title Another Link In The Chain due to Christine's complete absence from the album. It was all Bekka, Billy & Dave's compositions. Christine's songs were hurredly recorded & assembled in order to comply with WB's demands that (supposedly) she was contractually obligated to appear on Fleetwood Mac albums. I'm sure that the lingering mutual dislike between Christine & Dave Mason DID have something to do with his not appearing on her songs, but it also might be that he wasn't available to do those sessions due to other obligations. Plus, since Bekka, Billy & Dave's material that was included was already completed, so there was really no need to go back and re-record those tunes with Christine...that would've been a waste of time & money.

There were promotional photos released with both Christine & Dave together with Mick, John, Bekka & Billy. So, they co-existed for at least as long as the photo session took. I think those might even have been taken after the artwork for the CD booklet was already completed.

I think whoever tracked the songs did a horrid job, basically magnifying the disjointed feel of the album. Thanks to the capability of reprogramming the running order of a CD (and now with iTunes playlists), a more flowing tracking CAN be obtained. Once again, here's what I came up with:

I DO
TALKIN' TO MY HEART
I WONDER WHY
WINDS OF CHANGE
SOONER OR LATER
DREAMING THE DREAM
NIGHTS IN ESTORIL
NOTHING WITHOUT YOU
I GOT IT IN FOR YOU
HOLLYWOOD (SOME OTHER KIND OF TOWN)
BLOW BY BLOW
THESE STRANGE TIMES
ALL OVER AGAIN
Old 01-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySequences View Post
(If you own a copy) Check out the liner notes and the additional players listed. After each CM song, Michael Thompson – guitars on tracks 2, 5, 8, 10 & 12 is listed. And on some of the others tracks 3, 4 & 9, Steve Thoma – keyboards is listed.
Christine and Dave didn't really get along all that well. They go back to Birmingham, England, back when she was hanging around the Spencer Davis Group, for which he was a roadie.

Quote:
Chris wasn't even present when they did the photo shoot
Oh really?

Quote:
Whether there is any truth to that, I have no idea, but I am very curious as to why and the circumstances surrounding why Chris was not present for the other band members' recordings.
I think the liner notes give a false impression (I could be wrong) about what happened. I posted a while back that this is who I think plays on each song:

Talkin’ To My Heart: Mick, John, Bekka, Billy, Dave, and Christine
Hollywood: Mick, John, Christine, Thompson
Blow By Blow: Mick, John, Bekka, Billy, Dave, and Thoma
Winds Of Change: Mick, John, Bekka, Billy, Dave, and Christine
I Do: Mick, John, Bekka, Billy, Dave, Christine, and Thompson (note Tompson is listed as "additional guitar")
Nothing Without You: Mick, John, Bekka, Billy, Dave, Christine, and Lindsey
Dreamin’ The Dream: Bekka, Billy, and Christine (maybe Dave?)
Sooner Or Later: Mick, John, Christine, Thompson, Tackett
I Wonder Why: Mick, John, Bekka, Billy, Dave, Christine, and Thoma
Nights In Estoril: Mick, John, Christine, Thompson
I Got It In For You: Mick, John, Bekka, Billy, Dave, and Christine
All Over Again: Mick, John, Christine, Thompson
These Strange Times: Mick, John, Bekka, Lucy, Jones

So, I think all of the Bekka and Billy stuff is just the actual members of the band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Time, as it was released, was pretty much a "compromise" album. WB had rejected the original album that was submitted with the title Another Link In The Chain due to Christine's complete absence from the album.
I still don't buy it. EVERYTHING they said in interviews during the 1994-95 period is that Christine was still in the band, just not touring. I mean EVERY interview. There was even that photo of her playing with them prior to Billy coming back. In fact, Billy even stated that the reason he had only two songs on the record was because he came back so late in the game. Now, maybe she pulled her songs at some point, but the only public statements were that she was still in the band. Actually, I wouldn't be shocked if she recorded her songs in 1993, when they were looking for a guitarist, and Thompson was just some studio guy they used.

Also, THIS

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 01-10-2013 at 03:17 PM..
Old 01-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thx for the hard work and research you two put into these posts...very interesting. And of course it clears up some of the confussion.

Thx for the great pic's posted by SteveMacD, Chris and Bekka look gorgeous and Chris (although smiling) leaning forward in an apprehensive way confirms (possibly) Chris' discomfort with this line-up.

As you proved me wrong Steve, I was only speculating Chris was absent b/c I have never seen these photos, I was not posting it as a FACT.

thx again for posting
Old 01-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As you proved me wrong Steve, I was only speculating Chris was absent b/c I have never seen these photos, I was not posting it as a FACT.
I was just kidding around. But, I do find it odd that they didn't use this picture anywhere on the cover.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Time isn't a bad album.

Stevie and Lindsey were gone and Christine was just there to provide five songs to the album. Billy didn't really get much attention during his Mac tenure, getting lost in the mix (if you will) essentially making him a "new" member along with Bekka and Dave. Of course Mick and John were there so yes it was still Fleetwood Mac, but they aren't singer/songwriters and the faces of the band like Christine, Stevie, and Lindsey and as Peter and Bob Welch were during their tenures.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Time isn't a bad album.

Stevie and Lindsey were gone and Christine was just there to provide five songs to the album. Billy didn't really get much attention during his Mac tenure, getting lost in the mix (if you will) essentially making him a "new" member along with Bekka and Dave.
But Billy WASN'T a new member, and FANS (not necessarily the public) knew him. He had been affiliated with Fleetwood Mac in some way for over a decade by that point, and had been in the band for two big tours and a modest-selling album. Fleetwood Mac had several minor hits during his time.

Quote:
Of course Mick and John were there so yes it was still Fleetwood Mac, but they aren't singer/songwriters and the faces of the band like Christine, Stevie, and Lindsey and as Peter and Bob Welch were during their tenures.
Some fan of Fleetwood Mac from day one in 1973: "Penguin" -no Peter, no Jeremy, no Danny...NOT Fleetwood Mac. Sure, Christine is there, but it's just NOT Fleetwood Mac.

I don't disagree that Billy wasn't exactly the face of the band at that point, but neither was Bob Welch in 1973, except for the handful of fans that were giving it a chance, regardless of who was in it.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-12-2013, 01:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Time is a much better album, IMO, than Mask. Bekka and Billy sound especially good. I don't see the logic in including Dave Mason. But otherwise, the songs and performances are strong.

My only other complaint is the cheesy sounding keyboard tones. Christine's approach is fine, as is her playing. But the sound of the electric keyboard is tinny and cheap.

I like the running order of the songs. So long as Mason's contributions are removed.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Time is a much better album, IMO, than Mask. Bekka and Billy sound especially good. I don't see the logic in including Dave Mason. But otherwise, the songs and performances are strong.
Billy quit in early 1993, so they needed a male singer/guitarist, hence Dave Mason. If Billy had stayed, I doubt Mason would have been hired.

If it had continued, I think Christine and Dave would have been gone by the next record. With the whole alt.country thing from the mid to late '90s, it could have been interesting.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-12-2013, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm enjoying the Time love replies.

To me, this album is a pretty straight forward rock and blues album...with a little country thrown in.

I agree with the poster that said Dave's contributions wasn't needed, but since Billy had quit, I can now see why he was needed.

Right after SN and CM annouced they were now longer touring the band...I envisioned a 4 piece with just the guys carrying on. Some of the pics in the BTM tour book (just the guys) made me wonder what kind of rock and blues future this quartet would have pulled off. I would have bought a ticket to that show.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Right after SN and CM annouced they were now longer touring the band...I envisioned a 4 piece with just the guys carrying on. Some of the pics in the BTM tour book (just the guys) made me wonder what kind of rock and blues future this quartet would have pulled off. I would have bought a ticket to that show.
It would have gone something like this

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I love it! thx for sharing, Steve
Old 01-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I love this! Thanks for sharing it!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Where did that come from? I love it!

No keyboard player so the opening chords were done on guitar, I suppose Rick played lead while Billy did rhythm and other guy played bass?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Where did that come from? I love it!

No keyboard player so the opening chords were done on guitar, I suppose Rick played lead while Billy did rhythm and other guy played bass?
Yep. That other guy, BTW, is George Hawkins.

First, he started filling in for members of Fleetwood Mac with other artists.

Then he started playing with various members of Fleetwood Mac...

Mick Fleetwood...

Lindsey Buckingham... (Hey, that guy standing right next to George looks familiar...)

Mick Fleetwood's Zoo...

Christine McVie...

Billy Burnette...

Sang harmonies on John McVie's solo record...

And Bekka Bramlett (who understands what it's like filling in for Stevie Nicks).

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 01-13-2013 at 10:36 PM..