The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Behind the Mask: Side 1 or Side 2?
Side 1 17 89.47%
Side 2 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2021, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Behind the Mask: Side 1 or Side 2?

Choose the one you most like

Side 1
1. "Skies the Limit" Christine McVie, Eddy Quintela C. McVie 3:45
2. "Love Is Dangerous" Rick Vito, Stevie Nicks Nicks, Vito 3:18
3. "In the Back of My Mind" Billy Burnette, David Malloy Burnette, Nicks, C. McVie 7:02
4. "Do You Know" Burnette, C. McVie Burnette, C. McVie 4:19
5. "Save Me" C. McVie, Quintela C. McVie 4:15
6. "Affairs of the Heart" Nicks Nicks 4:22
7. "When the Sun Goes Down" Vito, Burnette Burnette, Vito 3:18

Side 2
8. "Behind the Mask" C. McVie C. McVie 4:18
9. "Stand on the Rock" Vito Vito 3:59
10. "Hard Feelings" Burnette, Jeff Silbar Burnette 4:54
11. "Freedom" Nicks, Mike Campbell Nicks 4:12
12. "When It Comes to Love" Burnette, Dennis Morgan, Simon Climie Burnette, C. McVie 4:08
13. "The Second Time" Nicks, Vito Nicks 2:31
Old 04-17-2021, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No real contest for me. Even though I like most of the songs on side 2, I LOVE nearly all the songs on Side 1. Save Me, In the Back of My Mind, Do You Know, Love is Dangerous, and Skies the Limit are all sensational. That original sequencing is brilliant, too. We start off with the reassuring Christine McVie vocals on Skies the Limit, then the fun Love is Dangerous with Stevie and Rick, then the very different and far out In the Back of My Mind; then we return to Earth with Christine and Billy on Do You Know, then Save Me, Affairs of the Heart, and close with When the Sun Goes Down.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Even though The Second Time sucks on toast, side two has three of my all-time favorite Fleetwood Mac songs in When It Comes To Love, Freedom and Hard Feelings.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Hard Feelings, but Side One is excellent from beginning to end.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Side one is the strongest run of songs overall, but not including the title track and Freedom seems awkward, but even a few weaknesses are there on side one. That's why BTM is a glass half full album, even some great moments and weak moments on good to great songs. Stand on the Rock, Hard Feelings, When it comes to Love, Second Time and most of Affairs of the Heart are forgettable.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Side 1

Overall I think the album has a bad running order. The idea of placing In the Back of My Mind in the middle of side 1 is crazy. Just as the album gets going its curtailed for several minutes while this song has the ridiculous intro. It means you cant properly get into the music. They'd have been better off putting that song as the side 2 opener.
Also, as somebody else said, Behind the Mask should have been on side 1...maybe even opening with it.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-19-2021, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Side 1

Overall I think the album has a bad running order. The idea of placing In the Back of My Mind in the middle of side 1 is crazy. Just as the album gets going its curtailed for several minutes while this song has the ridiculous intro. It means you cant properly get into the music. They'd have been better off putting that song as the side 2 opener.
Also, as somebody else said, Behind the Mask should have been on side 1...maybe even opening with it.
Behind the Mask was the original opener but after the album was finished the band felt the music was too dark. Christine usually writes lovey and peppy songs and the album opener Behind the Mask was dark then followed by in the Back of My Mind, etc. That forced Christine to write a very quick peppy song Skies the Limit and they slapped it first track on side one. It was an attempt to change the mood of the album by having a classic McVie peppy love song open the album.

IMHO In the Back of My Mind is fine at track 3 because its so unconventional. When I first played the album, I was like WTF is this? But of course it was so interesting and different and its one of the better songs on the album IMHO>

BTW, I also vote side 1 Its the full monty of Fleetwood Mac
Old 04-19-2021, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Behind the Mask was the original opener but after the album was finished the band felt the music was too dark. Christine usually writes lovey and peppy songs and the album opener Behind the Mask was dark then followed by in the Back of My Mind, etc. That forced Christine to write a very quick peppy song Skies the Limit and they slapped it first track on side one. It was an attempt to change the mood of the album by having a classic McVie peppy love song open the album.

IMHO In the Back of My Mind is fine at track 3 because its so unconventional. When I first played the album, I was like WTF is this? But of course it was so interesting and different and its one of the better songs on the album IMHO>

BTW, I also vote side 1 Its the full monty of Fleetwood Mac
I recall Chris quickly wrote Skies the Limit as they felt they needed something a bit lighter. I didn't know Behind The Mask had already been slated as the opening track though. By the way, I do like In The Back of My Mind. For me its probably the best song on the album. I personally just don't get putting that ridiculous intro right in the middle of side 1....it just stops the flow of the album.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-19-2021, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I recall Chris quickly wrote Skies the Limit as they felt they needed something a bit lighter. I didn't know Behind The Mask had already been slated as the opening track though. By the way, I do like In The Back of My Mind. For me its probably the best song on the album. I personally just don't get putting that ridiculous intro right in the middle of side 1....it just stops the flow of the album.
Besides Tusk, the Rumours line up always opened their albums with an peppy song.
Monday Morning
Second Hand News
Over and Over - a bit somber but still a love song
Love In Store
Big Love
Skies the Limit

A few other tid bits that are interesting is that Stevie never had a song on track one on any album except for Angel on one of the Tusk sides. Stevie also was never given a lead off single either. The elephant in the room is that band/record company saw Stevie's star power and went out of their way to not promote the idea she was the lead singer of the band.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think When It Comes To Love is really good to be on Side 2. That song is simply great!! But it was not well accompanied, especially by that creepy final song closing the album...
Old 12-08-2021, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The only songs I like on side 2 are "Behind The Mask" and "Freedom", the rest are just meh. Side 1 wins for me.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
Even though The Second Time sucks on toast, side two has three of my all-time favorite Fleetwood Mac songs in When It Comes To Love, Freedom and Hard Feelings.
I love “Hard Feelings,” Matt! It’s very Beatles-like. Probably my favorite on the album.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-09-2021, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Side one by far. I’m sure the songs on side two are okay, but the production makes them mostly unlistenable.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-08-2022, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For sure Christine saved the album. As usual, all of her songs are stellar. Chris plays lots of old school keyboards which is something that was missed on Tango. All of hers and In the back of my mind, and Love is Dangerous are what I like about the album. Everything else is meh. Chris also shined on Tango. But guess what, every album her songs are the best. Mirage, White, Rumours, she comes with her A game.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
For sure Christine saved the album. As usual, all of her songs are stellar. Chris plays lots of old school keyboards which is something that was missed on Tango. All of hers and In the back of my mind, and Love is Dangerous are what I like about the album. Everything else is meh. Chris also shined on Tango. But guess what, every album her songs are the best. Mirage, White, Rumours, she comes with her A game.
When you listen to Kiln House and forward, she slowly emerges to become Fleetwood Mac. Whereas, B/N need to constantly prop themselves up as the star, leader, producer, mixer, arranger, witch, flying trapeze artist, pony rider, etc.