User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I disagree. When the Pretenders tour alone, they play small theaters and they are barely full. They are fantastic but don't have such a huge concert lure. Very similar to Christine and Lindsey. It was Chrissy herself who stated during their tour "no one comes to see us, this is Stevie's show.'
Stevie's 24k Gold tour was insanely popular. My belief was just like yours. I thought she could no longer fill arenas. The tour was extended twice. She never had so many sold out shows in her career.
If Stevie was not with the Mac, they would have played to less than half the audience. 2/3 of the Mac's singers could not even fill small theaters.
I know it eats people up to admit it but Stevie fills arenas. So much so, that Mick destroyed the legacy of the band to fire Lindsey. He chose sold out arenas and money over legacy.
If Stevie was to announce a solo tour with no opening act, she would get pretty much the attendance as this current Mac line up. Its been that way for quite a while. The only tour was On With The Show because there was a huge demand for tickets because of Christine reuniting with the band.

In 1986 Stevie filled arenas even double backing to cities because of sold out shows
In 1987 The Mac with Stevie filled about the same amount of arenas

1989 Stevie filled arenas with a mildly successful album and tour
1990 The mac played with less people in mostly full arenas

1997 The Dance sold out - no comparison
1998 Enchanted tour - not as big as the Dance but Stevie fills arenas again after dismal Street Angel tour

Unleashed tour was very successful and played to mostly full arenas
On With the Show - sold out

24K Gold - full arenas, sold out shows, extended twice. Would not stop.

Long story short, she has always packed the house equal to Mac tours except 1994 but the Mac was playing night clubs at that time

Its sad but true, most people who go to Mac shows are there for Stevie. I remember skipping school in 1987 to wait in line for Tango tickets. It was a huge line and almost everyone in line was commenting they were only there to see Stevie. No one cares about Christine. Not that Funny was a waste of concert time, blah blah blah
I don't like this fact but everyone knows it especially Mick.
Just curious which shows sold out? I only know of the LA and NYC shows. I stll think though that the tour was successful becuase of the opener. The reason I say this is becuase why in 2011-2012 did she book small venues like Seneca Falls Casnio, Fox Theater in Detroit etc. She had a top 10 album lots of Tv appearances etc yet the most of her arena shows were opening for Rod.

I think if she booked a new solo tour with nothing to promote and no big well known opener she wouldn't be playing 20,000 seat arena's. Since I have been a fan ( 2001- now) her tours solo have been in ampitheaters mainly with some exceptions .
Old 06-06-2020, 03:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks Fan View Post
Just curious which shows sold out? I only know of the LA and NYC shows. I stll think though that the tour was successful becuase of the opener. The reason I say this is becuase why in 2011-2012 did she book small venues like Seneca Falls Casnio, Fox Theater in Detroit etc. She had a top 10 album lots of Tv appearances etc yet the most of her arena shows were opening for Rod.

I think if she booked a new solo tour with nothing to promote and no big well known opener she wouldn't be playing 20,000 seat arena's. Since I have been a fan ( 2001- now) her tours solo have been in ampitheaters mainly with some exceptions .
This. When I first saw Stevie in 2011, she was playing sheds and amphitheaters for two summers in a row, along with opening for Rod in arenas. She played the Beacon in NYC in 2012 which is the same venue BuckVie played in the summer of 2017. Also, if you look at pop culture Stevie is not some ever popular icon like Mick Jagger, her career has had many highs and lows. Also, FM absolutely helps her solo career, as imo the OWTS tour being hugely successful translated then into the success of the 24K tour. Also, the popularity of Stevie from AHS helped A LOT, she was so trendy from like 2014-2019. But The Pretenders definitely had something to do with the success as well. She played some arena shows on the 24K tour in the summer of 2017 with Vanessa as an opener and they were smaller arenas that had some sections blocked off, definitely not as successful as the shows with the Pretenders. Also, at the NYC 24K tour there sure were a lot of Pretenders fans in the audience? Just saying...I think Stevie's popularity depends on how visible she is in pop culture more than just her name alone.

Last edited by GoldDustWoman22; 06-06-2020 at 03:35 AM..
Old 06-06-2020, 04:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldDustWoman22 View Post
Stevie is not some ever popular icon like Mick Jagger, her career has had many highs and lows.
Bad example. She’s in the Hall twice. He’s only in once. Mick Jagger had some low points. His solo albums were forgettable.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-06-2020, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Bad example. She’s in the Hall twice. He’s only in once. Mick Jagger had some low points. His solo albums were forgettable.
Is the Hall truly representative of the diversity & talent of music? I think KISS posed that for contemplation.
Why is Cyndi Lauper not in? Why is Melissa not in? Why are Jon Landau & Irving Azoff being inducted over Diana Ross, Cher, & Tina Turner as individual solo artists?

The interesting thing about the music they played before Stevie's induction by Harry was that they played Rhiannon twice during the video package and Crying in the Night; I thought she was inducted for contributions separate from her Fleetwood Mac role. Rhiannon closed the video intro out too; it wasn't just a passing clip, it was a focus. It led me to wonder if the Hall took this seriously. Do they even know Rhiannon and Crying in the Night are songs from groups called Buckingham Nicks & Fleetwood Mac
Old 06-06-2020, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Is the Hall truly representative of the diversity & talent of music? I think KISS posed that for contemplation.
Why is Cyndi Lauper not in? Why is Melissa not in? Why are Jon Landau & Irving Azoff being inducted over Diana Ross, Cher, & Tina Turner as individual solo artists?

The interesting thing about the music they played before Stevie's induction by Harry was that they played Rhiannon twice during the video package and Crying in the Night; I thought she was inducted for contributions separate from her Fleetwood Mac role. Rhiannon closed the video intro out too; it wasn't just a passing clip, it was a focus. It led me to wonder if the Hall took this seriously. Do they even know Rhiannon and Crying in the Night are songs from groups called Buckingham Nicks & Fleetwood Mac
I have always had a mixed oppinion on her induction as a solo act. Her 80's albums were successful ( though each one after Bella Donna sold less copies then the previous LP) but her last "hit" was in 1989. Nothing she put out from 94- now had the amount of success her 80's LP's did. I feel like the FM brand has really helped her solo career even when the albums didn't sell (Exception being maybe the Street Angel Tour).

To me the RRHOF is a joke because their rationale behind who gets inducted and who doesn't and the x members of certain bands that are excluded are questionable. ( Why the hell is Bill Champlain and Jason Scheff not in as members of Chicago? They had hits with them in the 80's and had long tenures in the band)

I can't help but feel like her induction was a calculated move by Irving as like a big F- U to Lindsey and a way to justify his firing by proving she is the bigger star then him. Cyndi, Tina and Pat have either sold more albums, won Grammy's sold more concert tickets are icons in the gay comunity and have done numerous things to helo the LGBTQ community etc. WTH is the criteria to get in if those stats alone don't seem to be enough.

Last edited by Nicks Fan; 06-06-2020 at 02:07 PM..
Old 06-06-2020, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:

Remember the Pretenders did not like Stevie's touring schedule for being off too many days. They did their own mini tour within Stevie's tour. They played small theaters in neighboring towns. I was at the Pittsburgh show that was partially filmed. Maybe you could grab tickets but the arena had no empty seats except the ones behind the stage. While the Pretenders were a terrific opening act, I only saw Stevie's fans there. When the 24K gold tour was announced, check out the thread here. I went on the record saying the same thing that Stevie could never still fill an arena. Tickets sold slowly at first but as the days dragged on, the arenas got full. I scored fantastic seats because of how full the arena was. I never bought my tickets till late. The arena was so full that they eventually opened this small part next to the stage and I grabbed them up immediately. So close that I got to see Stevie's dogs and could see her backstage before the lights went out. Her assistant or Matthew or someone brought the dogs out and there were some women in my row that had backstage passes and were some sort of VIP's. She was grossing over 1 million on many nights which was similar to On With The Show on some nights. The tour was so successful that they almost ran out of places to play. I think this is why Stevie wanted some shows taped late in the tour. She was aware that these shows were incredible and maybe would not happen again.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-06-2020 at 03:37 PM..
Old 06-06-2020, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Cyndi, Tina and Pat have either sold more albums, won Grammy's sold more concert tickets are icons in the gay comunity and have done numerous things to helo the LGBTQ community etc. WTH is the criteria to get in if those stats alone don't seem to be enough.
Cher too. Of course Madonna got in her first year of eligibility. Remember when Stevie slammed Madonna for kissing Brit & Christina at the VMAS: "I thought it was the most obnoxious moment in
television history" - Stevie. Wonder if she would say that in 2020? Hopefully her view has progressed and become the right one.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Is induction into the rrhof really going to be the barometer for how much of an icon someone is?? Like someone else pointed out here, her albums continued to sell less after Bella Donna. Also, 2/3 of the hit songs from that album were bolstered by duets with male artists. Stevie is also not necessarily a worldwide phenom, she is mostly known in the US, Aus/NZ (the only time she toured EU as a solo artist was for OTSOTM), Mick Jagger indisputably is. Also, most people associate her as the face of FM, because they mainly associate her with FM besides maybe 4 songs.

I don't think anyone would dispute that the 24K tour was a huge success, but the fact is, Stevie was largely a cult favorite for a long time before the last decade. Her appearance on AHS, and definitely the success of OWTS, and popularity with younger people is what bolstered her recent surge in popularity. It happened in the 90s and it is happening again. We shall see how long it lasts this time...
Old 06-07-2020, 12:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Is induction into the rrhof really going to be the barometer for how much of an icon someone is??
Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Stevie Nicks, all of the Beatles, David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Graham Nash, Neil Young, sure...

Neal Schon an Gregg Rolie…Meh.

Tina should have been the first woman inducted twice.

Quote:
Stevie is also not necessarily a worldwide phenom, she is mostly known in the US, Aus/NZ (the only time she toured EU as a solo artist was for OTSOTM), Mick Jagger indisputably is.
But only for one, albeit major, aspect of his career.

Quote:
Also, most people associate her as the face of FM, because they mainly associate her with FM besides maybe 4 songs.
The Chain, World Turning. W/ CM: SYLM, DS, Songbird, YMLF, LL, Everywhere, HM. W/ LB: ISA, SHN, GYOW, Tusk, BL. W/ NF: SHN, GYOW, DDIO, OW. Way more than four.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-07-2020, 08:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Stevie Nicks, all of the Beatles, David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Graham Nash, Neil Young, sure...

But only for one, albeit major, aspect of his career.
Why didn't you have Joan Jett or Patti Smith in that list joining Stevie's name?

I never thought of Jagger as such a failure
Old 06-07-2020, 08:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Why didn't you have Joan Jett or Patti Smith in that list joining Stevie's name?

I never thought of Jagger as such a failure
The people I listed with Stevie were inducted multiple times, Joan Hett and Patti Smith have only been inducted once.

Mick Jagger was only successful as a member of The Rolling Stones, save for that the duet of “Dancing In The Streets” with Bowie.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-07-2020, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Jagger's solo stuff IS for the most part forgettable, but, please, let's not pretend that he's not in a "celebrity league" far and away beyond that of Stevie Nicks (or anyone in Fleetwood Mac).
Old 06-07-2020, 09:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The people I listed with Stevie were inducted multiple times, Joan Hett and Patti Smith have only been inducted once.

Mick Jagger was only successful as a member of The Rolling Stones, save for that the duet of “Dancing In The Streets” with Bowie.
Oh, then do add Rod Stewart - Stevie's esteemed duet partner for Leather & Lace, Passion & Young Turks!
Old 06-07-2020, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

The Chain, World Turning. W/ CM: SYLM, DS, Songbird, YMLF, LL, Everywhere, HM. W/ LB: ISA, SHN, GYOW, Tusk, BL. W/ NF: SHN, GYOW, DDIO, OW. Way more than four.
I apologize about the poor wording on my part. I meant for the most part, besides 4 songs from her solo career (L&L, EO17, SDMHA, and SB) she is mostly known for her witchy image and her FM songs. Like they said above, even in her induction video they used Rhiannon and FM/BN footage as a focal point. Most people associate her with FM.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:59 PM
UnwindedDreams
This message has been deleted by UnwindedDreams.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:05 PM
UnwindedDreams
This message has been deleted by UnwindedDreams.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I apologize about the poor wording on my part. I meant for the most part, besides 4 songs from her solo career (L&L, EO17, SDMHA, and SB) she is mostly known for her witchy image and her FM songs. Like they said above, even in her induction video they used Rhiannon and FM/BN footage as a focal point. Most people associate her with FM.
Got it. Although, I still randomly hear TTM and ICW, too.

I still think it’s funny that her first three solo albums had Top 5 hits, but she couldn’t crack the Top 10 when she got back with Fleetwood Mac on “Mirage” and TITN.

THE Stephen Hopkins