Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Munich LSD Party Incident

Old 04-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Junior Ledgie

This isn't the first time the German Incident has been mentioned. The first thing that comes to my mind when I see these recollections is that the Acid they took was not clean. It was laced with something that permanently destroyed brain cells because the way their manager explains the way Peter's and Danny's faces looked is identical to the way a stroke victim's face looks. Too sad.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

the way their manager explains the way Peter's and Danny's faces looked is identical to the way a stroke victim's face looks. Too sad.

Indeed. I'm sure thousands of FM fans out there have mulled over the what if question many times. If that fateful night hadn't happened would Peter and Danny continued on to become rock and roll's tour de force? It's so tragic that this combination of unmatched talent did not come to full fruition. No doubt in my mind that these guys would top the all time great guitarists lists, surpassing Clapton and Page. Not to mention if Jeremy could have held it together.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Not to mention if Jeremy could have held it together.
I'd hazard a guess that if Jeremy is lurking he'll probably point out that he held it together quite fine thank you very much
Old 04-05-2014, 08:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This has all been discussed at length here before - this thread probably has more information and opinions on the event than anywhere else you'll find (including a recollection from Jeremy Spencer): http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=27555
Old 04-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
I'd hazard a guess that if Jeremy is lurking he'll probably point out that he held it together quite fine thank you very much
I did. Thank God.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And so glad you did Jeremy, your new music is fantastic.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

hi, folks!

here's one to revive this old-timey thread - though it's about a completely different aspect: the poster(s) to the concerts that took place around the munich incident.

99% of the "original" munich posters on offer all over the place bear the wrong date: january 18. in fact the mac played vancouver on this very day (see attachment). in november last year the real thing was on auction, which was the first time i actually saw an original (it's below as well).

but this raises 2 questions: the band played 3 shows in munich altogether. the poster seen here was only advertising the late show on march 22 at the circus krone bau. has anybody ever seen a poster for the matinee concert? and what about the appearance on march 23 at deutsches museum? have they ever been advertised with this outrageous design (by günther kieser)? if anybody out there should be in the know about this, please share your knowledge with me . . . or, err, us all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fleetwood mac munich original.jpg (84.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg fleetwood mac vancouver neu.jpg (77.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-17-2018, 01:58 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'm pretty new and hadn't seen this thread (or the prior thread linked above) until today. Thanks for boosting it. It's all really sad and scary. The "what ifs" abound.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
hi, folks!

here's one to revive this old-timey thread - though it's about a completely different aspect: the poster(s) to the concerts that took place around the munich incident.

99% of the "original" munich posters on offer all over the place bear the wrong date: january 18. in fact the mac played vancouver on this very day (see attachment). in november last year the real thing was on auction, which was the first time i actually saw an original (it's below as well).

but this raises 2 questions: the band played 3 shows in munich altogether. the poster seen here was only advertising the late show on march 22 at the circus krone bau. has anybody ever seen a poster for the matinee concert? and what about the appearance on march 23 at deutsches museum? have they ever been advertised with this outrageous design (by günther kieser)? if anybody out there should be in the know about this, please share your knowledge with me . . . or, err, us all!
Nice find on a photo of the real Munich poster! As you note, nearly all the photos you see on the web show the fake one with the January date (image of the fake poster below). Aside from the fact that the band played in Vancouver on 18 January, it's an obvious fake as it even shows the wrong day of the week for that date. I've seen these fake posters advertised for a lot of money on the web, though it's certainly possible that many of the people selling them have no idea that they're fake.

Do we know for a fact that the band played three shows in Munich? I know that's listed on at least one source on the web but I have doubts as to whether it's accurate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5971132_1.jpg (35.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-17-2018, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
(...) it's an obvious fake as it even shows the wrong day of the week for that date. I've seen these fake posters advertised for a lot of money on the web, though it's certainly possible that many of the people selling them have no idea that they're fake.
thanks for getting back on these matters, sharky! well, i know at least one more (famous) reissue example from the catalogue of these vintage kieser-designed posters: a hendrix poster (see attached) announces a 1969 gig on january 15 in stuttgart - only thing is hendrix didn't play stuttgart but munich that night! both the hendrix and mac poster reissues were from later in the actual year, but produced strictly for commercial reasons (always with modified dates, cities etc.).

Quote:
Do we know for a fact that the band played three shows in Munich? I know that's listed on at least one source on the web but I have doubts as to whether it's accurate.
that's a good point, indeed! of course, i can't provide you with any real proof apart from what can be found on the net. but i can't imagine that these dates were simply made up. and even if the odd date was cancelled by the band on short term - concert ads are printed in advance . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hendrix fake poster.jpg (83.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 12-26-2018, 06:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
thanks for getting back on these matters, sharky! well, i know at least one more (famous) reissue example from the catalogue of these vintage kieser-designed posters: a hendrix poster (see attached) announces a 1969 gig on january 15 in stuttgart - only thing is hendrix didn't play stuttgart but munich that night! both the hendrix and mac poster reissues were from later in the actual year, but produced strictly for commercial reasons (always with modified dates, cities etc.).

that's a good point, indeed! of course, i can't provide you with any real proof apart from what can be found on the net. but i can't imagine that these dates were simply made up. and even if the odd date was cancelled by the band on short term - concert ads are printed in advance . . .
On which website are three concerts listed? Probably a mistake - they didn't play double concerts on any other tour stops on this tour as far as we know.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
On which website are three concerts listed? Probably a mistake - they didn't play double concerts on any other tour stops on this tour as far as we know.
Hi dino, this is where I spotted that claim of 3 Munich concerts, which I also doubt.
http://concerts.wikia.com/wiki/Fleet...Concerts_1970s
Old 12-30-2018, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hi dino, this is where I spotted that claim of 3 Munich concerts, which I also doubt.
http://concerts.wikia.com/wiki/Fleet...Concerts_1970s
Thanks!
The original source seems to be Christopher Hjort's book. Can anyone verify that?

The band's live sound engineer Dinky Dawson has a different itinerary; only one show in Munich.
http://www.dinkysworld.com/road.htm
Old 12-30-2018, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
The band's live sound engineer Dinky Dawson has a different itinerary; only one show in Munich.
http://www.dinkysworld.com/road.htm
. . . well, dinky dawson isn't the most accurate source either - i read his book and there are so many errors and false claims in it all over the place! it's an entertaining and funny read, but his recollection isn't very reliable (no wonder at all) and details should be taken with a pinch of salt. of course he could be right in this case, but actual proof doesn't seem to be in sight.