Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2022, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mo Ostin, WB exec, died at 95 (White album)

Mo Ostin, US record exec who signed Jimi Hendrix and the Kinks, dies aged 95.
Headhunted by Frank Sinatra, the head of Warner/Reprise oversaw classic releases by the likes of Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac and Prince

So I do remember that name from Mick's first book, first time he mentioned Mo was about the White album:

But we knew this album was different from the rest. Everyone felt something exciting. For years we had been floating, without much direction. But this new band had chemistry. Biochemistry, even. We were enthused. I thought, let's go down and talk to Mo Ostin, the president of Warner Bros., and let Mo know that this time we really want the record company behind us.

So I went to see Mo. Mickey Shapiro came along. I told him, "Look, we really feel something here. We don't want you to think of this as just another Fleetwood Mac record. And if you and the company aren't excited about this record, then we prefer not to be on the label. We're not unhappy, but this means enough to us to say please, let us go if you don't love this record and think of us as a new band." Mo smiled in his avuncular way and assured us things would be OK. At that point, nobody at the label had even heard the record. But we wanted to let them know that this project was very special to us.

How accurate is this, I don't know, but it's an interesting episode.