The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-22-2022, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And one other source says, as of 2005, the US sales alone for LIVE (1981) and THE DANCE (1997) were:

Live Albums
1980 1981 Live - 500,000
1997 2000 The Dance - 5,000,000 - 4,400,000

I imagine they are higher now.

https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...-sales-history
Old 11-23-2022, 06:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
And one other source says, as of 2005, the US sales alone for LIVE (1981) and THE DANCE (1997) were:

Live Albums
1980 1981 Live - 500,000
1997 2000 The Dance - 5,000,000 - 4,400,000

I imagine they are higher now.

https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...-sales-history
Interesting, I saw that site but most others were not that generous. Wikipedia lists Mystery To Me, Say You Will, BTM, and others Gold.
I read that when Fleetwood Mac came to the states, their albums sold a consistent 250,000 copies each. When the band got extremely successful, the early albums started to creep up in sales. Bare Trees was certified platinum in 1988 (maybe because of Sentimental Lady?). On other sites I saw Penguin also was platinum. But Mystery To Me, Future Games, and Heroes never got that status.
Its strange that in today's internet age its hard to get official figures. For example you cant find sales figures for Chris's 1984 solo album. In 1984 it was not even gold and I wanted to find out if it ever achieved gold status.

In the UK BTM was #1 and went platinum there so that clouds the sales figures in the USA on some sites.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-23-2022 at 06:36 AM..
Old 11-23-2022, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Interesting, I saw that site but most others were not that generous. Wikipedia lists Mystery To Me, Say You Will, BTM, and others Gold.
I read that when Fleetwood Mac came to the states, their albums sold a consistent 250,000 copies each. When the band got extremely successful, the early albums started to creep up in sales. Bare Trees was certified platinum in 1988 (maybe because of Sentimental Lady?). On other sites I saw Penguin also was platinum. But Mystery To Me, Future Games, and Heroes never got that status.
Its strange that in today's internet age its hard to get official figures. For example you cant find sales figures for Chris's 1984 solo album. In 1984 it was not even gold and I wanted to find out if it ever achieved gold status.

In the UK BTM was #1 and went platinum there so that clouds the sales figures in the USA on some sites.
Mystery definitely outsold Penguin and Heroes, though both of the latter initially charted higher. Not sure why Wick wouldn’t cite that has been acknowledged for years. One of the reasons Bare Trees and Mystery outsold the other mid-period albums is FM continued to feature Christine songs from both on their tours until 1977. Not to mention “Hypnotized.” Not sure if their 75 inclusion of “Station Man” triggered some Kiln House sales.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Compilations were big sellers, Greatest Hits and The Very Best Of also went platinum, I think. GH had new music.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's hard to believe that Mystery wasn't the biggest selling Welch era album, since it's generally accepted as a fantastic album, right up there with Rumours. While I like Bare Trees and Future Games, I've listened to Mystery 10 times as much as those two.

Hell, I've listened to Mystery more than Tango.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
It's hard to believe that Mystery wasn't the biggest selling Welch era album, since it's generally accepted as a fantastic album, right up there with Rumours. While I like Bare Trees and Future Games, I've listened to Mystery 10 times as much as those two.

Hell, I've listened to Mystery more than Tango.
I’ve listened to all of their 1971-73 albums more than TANGO. HEROES is kind of the same as TANGO for me—both calculated affairs where the guitarists indulge in their respective obsessions and Christine saves the day with good songs that still could have sounded even better in another context.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Here is the wikipedia page I am quoting and if you click next to the sales figures, many of them are updated in 2022 and 2021 from official RIAA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleetwood_Mac_discography

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-23-2022 at 12:16 PM..