Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Top RRHOF Performances: Toronto Sun

[Um, I loved the performance of SYLM, but I wouldn't describe it as "blistering"]

By John Williams ,QMI Agency Thursday, April 10, 2014 Toronto Sun

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/04/09...s-and-no-shows

Top Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction performances and no-shows

Nirvana's Krist Novoselic recently dropped a hint that there may be a special performance tonight when the grunge rockers are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

We know Dave Grohl will be there, but who will take frontman Kurt Cobain's spot? Will Grohl sing or will it be former R.E.M. frontman Michael Stipe - who is inducting the trio - at the helm? Our guess is Stipe, since he championed the band early on, and was a close friend of Cobain's up until his death in 1994.

Whatever the case may be, it will be one to remember.

With that in mind, here are five other showings that rocked the house on induction night:

Tom Petty, Prince, Jeff Lynne, Steve Winwood & Dhani Harrison (2004)

The all-star band ushered in George Harrison with a sizzling rendition of his classic While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Of course, Prince, decked out in a red top hat, fancy red short and blazer, stole the show with a mesmerizing guitar solo, with George's son Dhani looking on in amazement.

Kid Rock & Aerosmith (2001)

This match made in heaven took the stage for Aerosmith's induction in 2001, growling through a rockin' and energetic Sweet Emotion, complete with Detroit’s finest scratching away at a turntable.

Eddie Vedder & the Doors (1993)

A young Eddie Vedder subbed in for the late Jim Morrison when the Doors performed at their induction ceremony in 1993. They joined forces for a rousing rendition of Light My Fire, with Ray Manzarek showing he was still a magician at the keyboards.

Bruce Springsteen & U2 (2005)

Bruce showed who was boss as he joined forces with U2 for their crowning achievement in 1995. He supplied vocals as they ripped through a stripped down version of the band's 1987 hit, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Fleetwood Mac (1998)

Christine McVie helped induct her band into the Hall in '98 with a blistering Say You Love Me, although it turned out to be one of the last times she'd perform with the band - she quit that year. She's now back in the saddle.

NOTABLE ROCK HALL NO-SHOWS

The Rock Hall induction may be an honour to most, but not everyone is feelin' the love for the music shrine.

Here's a few of the more notable artists who passed on the big night:

The Sex Pistols refused to show up for their induction in 2006, instead sending a hand-written note to the Hall brass: “Next to the SEX-PISTOLS rock and roll and that Hall of Fame is a piss stain,” wrote Lydon. “Your museum. Urine in wine. We're not coming. We're not your monkeys.”

Other no-shows over the years have included Axl Rose, Diana Ross, Paul McCartney, Van Morrison, Jerry Garcia, David Bowie, Roger Waters, Grace Slick, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, John Deacon, Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth, and ABBA's Bjorn Ulvaeus. To be fair, not all of them were missing in action due to bitterness towards the Rock Hall -- some just couldn't stand the thought of being around former bandmates - even for one night.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Glad to see someone recognized that Say You Love Me was the best of the three songs performed that night, the only one performed by the band as a band.

I wouldn't call that a "blistering" performance, but it was a spot-on incendiary moment that showed Christine leaving with a fist in the air.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, the song, with that new arrangement, was the highlight of the tour for me.

Michele
Old 04-10-2015, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[excerpt from an article about induction]

http://www.billboard.com/biz/article...fame-induction

Billboard By Rob Tannenbaum | April 10, 2015 11:00 AM EDT

​There are significant benefits to induction, both emotional and financial: Sales of Fleetwood Mac albums increased 600 percent when it entered the Hall in 1998, and after their inductions, Wanda Jackson and Roy Orbison had lion-in-winter renaissances. It’s difficult to predict the Hall’s future decisions, however, because the committee deliberates behind a moated wall. In 2011, Jon Landau, 67 -- who manages Bruce Springsteen and chairs the nominating committee -- told The New York Times, "We’ve done a good job of keeping the proceedings nontransparent. It all dies in the room." When Billboard approached committee members for interviews, even people known for being outspoken turned silent. A prominent music publicist said his artists were "all scared to talk," even though several "have hard-ons for the Hall. They’re afraid of not getting inducted."
Old 04-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
[excerpt from an article about induction]

http://www.billboard.com/biz/article...fame-induction

Billboard By Rob Tannenbaum | April 10, 2015 11:00 AM EDT

​There are significant benefits to induction, both emotional and financial: Sales of Fleetwood Mac albums increased 600 percent when it entered the Hall in 1998, and after their inductions, Wanda Jackson and Roy Orbison had lion-in-winter renaissances. It’s difficult to predict the Hall’s future decisions, however, because the committee deliberates behind a moated wall. In 2011, Jon Landau, 67 -- who manages Bruce Springsteen and chairs the nominating committee -- told The New York Times, "We’ve done a good job of keeping the proceedings nontransparent. It all dies in the room." When Billboard approached committee members for interviews, even people known for being outspoken turned silent. A prominent music publicist said his artists were "all scared to talk," even though several "have hard-ons for the Hall. They’re afraid of not getting inducted."
...um, so, like the mafia?
Old 04-11-2015, 02:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Glad to see someone recognized that Say You Love Me was the best of the three songs performed that night, the only one performed by the band as a band.
Yes, certainly. It always rubbed me the wrong way. Even them being on the Letterman show upset me, although others have pointed out that Mick was on the show too. Still. I really resented Big Love and Landslide at a band induction.

Aside from that, SYLM was slamming. I mean, even without comparing it to the other two songs, it's just plain good.

Michele