The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-11-2024, 01:20 PM
Junior Ledgie

I've always liked "I Do" -- I've listened to it a few hundred times over the years -- but I think it's a safe, easy choice for that article. Reading the summary, it seems the author just followed two steps. 1) Don't bother considering the other three singers/songwriters because they're not Stevie and Lindsey. 2) Pick the Christine song that sounds the most like a Rumours-era track (a choice that was even easier because that was the only single from the album).

It would have been more interesting to me for the author to step outside the box a bit, especially outside Christine's five songs. "Winds of Change" and "Dreaming the Dream" were always my favorite among Billy, Bekka, and Dave songs. Certainly on par with "I Do" in my mind. Solid guitar work, unusually restrained (for her) but resonant vocals from Bekka, great backing vocals on the former, and steady-as-usual work from Mick and John on that one, too.

Since they didn't comment on BTM, I won't either...except to say I'd have loved to have heard the Rumours lineup's take on "Save Me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Your Dreams View Post
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/grea...errible-album/

Fleetwood Mac, "I Do"

No Lindsey Buckingham or Stevie Nicks? No problem! Actually, lots of problems. Thankfully, Christine McVie could still provide a reliably joy-filled chorus
Old 04-10-2024, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Your Dreams View Post
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/grea...errible-album/

Fleetwood Mac, "I Do"

No Lindsey Buckingham or Stevie Nicks? No problem! Actually, lots of problems. Thankfully, Christine McVie could still provide a reliably joy-filled chorus
huh--I guess I disagree with the premise. TIME is no masterpiece, certainly. But there are about seven or eight really good tunes on it. It's more of a matter of the end result lacking cohesion. But hey, that was the problem with PENGUIN, too, and that's one of my favorite albums.

Anyway, the songs from Time that I think hold up VERY well are:

Talking to My Heart
Winds of Change
Nothing Without You
Nights in Estoril
Hollywood
All Over Again
Sooner or Later
Got it In For You

Ironically, the only Christine song I don't like is "I Do." She sings it well and it's solidly put together, but the arrangement is pretty bland.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
TIME is no masterpiece, certainly. But there are about seven or eight really good tunes on it. It's more of a matter of the end result lacking cohesion. But hey, that was the problem with PENGUIN, too, and that's one of my favorite albums.
I agree, but Penguin and Time have completely different predecessors and came in different times. After the huge trajectory of the Rumours lineup, one expected a far better album. But that was impossible for obvious reasons.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I agree, but Penguin and Time have completely different predecessors and came in different times. After the huge trajectory of the Rumours lineup, one expected a far better album. But that was impossible for obvious reasons.
I don’t think people expected a far better album. What they wanted was Stevie Nicks somewhere on it. Without her or Lindsey, they shut their ears. TIME is for a number of diehard fans a better album than MASK, which was the REAL disappointment coming after TANGO. In 1995, no one was talking about FM anymore. Few even knew the album was released.

Song for song TIME stacks up in a way few people are willing to acknowledge.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 04-11-2024 at 07:57 AM..
Old 04-11-2024, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Hi! I'm taking it too late, but I think it's just in time...
Personally, it's a joke to know that I Do was the only single from Time, so it's sad to know that the press only writes its opinion based on it, without listening to the whole album.
Hollywood and Sooner Or Later were definitely the best songs of Chris from that album, and probably some of the best from her career.
Agreed! People were/are not willing to listen to TIME with objective ears. I also think the Billy/Bekka opening “Talking to My Heart” is damn good.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I've come full circle on Skies. It's really sung well, and the chorus is fantastic. Also, love Stevie on this song.
And this is where I say “huh?!” and insist Temporary One is a great tune, and you say “huh?!” and we go round and round…

But, as Christine once sang, “it sure feels nice.”