Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I've watched Elizabethtown

SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOI LERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERS SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERS

Hi all,
I have 15 minutes before the next film so I'll go fast. I've watched Elizabethtown, and since you probably would read it, it's been booed a bit, unjustly I think, because even, if IMO, it has some defects (the major one is Orlando Bloom), it's a good movie. I'll try to give more details tomorrow, if you want.

Now the important things: SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSdon' t read if you want to discover it yourself

Lindsey fans will love the movie because there's another surprise. He has not only shut us down, but also Big Love in the soundtrack in an acoustic version a bit rearranged (or cut in a different way, no idea) at the end.

By the way Shut us down is played almost in its entirey, and it's a very nice song. It has a brief verse, then a very long instrumental part, and at the end another verse and the chorus. I like it, and it fits very well in the soundtrack, that is really superb.

Anyway, he wrote the song with Casey Simmons (hope to have seen well the name, the guards were rushing us out).

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI

Last edited by Serrart; 09-03-2005 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: corrected some typos but there must be more
Old 09-03-2005, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrart
SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOI LERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERS SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERS

Hi all,
I have 15 minutes before the next film so I'll go fast. I've watched Elizabethtown, and since you probably would read it, it's been booed a bit, unjustly I think, because even, if IMO, it has some defects (the major one is Orlando Bloom), it's a good movie. I'll try to give more details tomorrow, if you want.

Now the important things: SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSdon' t read if you want to discover it yourself

Lindsey fans will love the movie because there's another surprise. He has not only shut us down, but also Big Love in the soundtrack in an acopustic version a bit rearranged (or cut in a different way, no idea) at the end.

By the way Shut us down is played almost in its entirey, and it's a very nice song. It has a brief verse, then a very long instrumental part, and at the end another verse and the chorus. I like it, and it fits very well in the soundtrack, that is really superb.

Anyway, he wrote the song with Casey Simmons (hope to have seen well the name, the guards were rushing us out).
is this great news folks or WHAT ? my dad's back
Old 09-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks, Romy. I'm interested in hearing your thought on the film. It was filmed near where I live, and I'm looking forward to its release.

Last edited by GypsySorcerer; 09-03-2005 at 09:32 PM..
Old 09-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Awesome! Thanks so much for the news. Looking forward to seeing the movie.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks Romy! It's nice that the song was featured fairly prominently and not just played softly in the background for a couple seconds.

I actually had not heard of this movie until the article that mentioned Lindsey's contribution to the soundtrack came out. What's it about?
Old 09-03-2005, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
Thanks, Romy. I'm interested in hearing your thought on the film. It was filmed near where I live, and I'm looking forward to its release.
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the film, too, Krista.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the film, too, Krista.
I will definitely post a review once I see it. I'm afraid, though, that the film will only rehash negative stereotypes of Kentuckians.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Orlando Bloom was the wrong choice. So many nice good looking American boys out there...Kirstin is adorable and I imagine she's very good. I haven't seen the movie.

It's so cool that Lindsey is a part of this. Cameron Crowe rocks ( and he usually casts his movies so well...so I don't get this major flub with Bloom, I'll have to see what I think myself)
Old 09-04-2005, 04:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm excited to see this movie because Paula Deen is in it. She's my favorite celebrity chef on the Food Network! It will be interesting to see how she does as an actress. She's hysterical in real life, but can she act? I'm dying to find out!

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 09-04-2005, 05:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I actually had not heard of this movie until the article that mentioned Lindsey's contribution to the soundtrack came out. What's it about?
Hope this is coherent:
The story is about a twentysomething Drew, who, after being fired from his chief (Alec Baldwin) for a major failure in his work as a snickers designer, thinks his life is over. The same evening he receives the news of his father´s death, so his suicide planes have to be postponed after his dad´s funeral in the city were he was born, Elizabethtown. On the plane, on his way there, he meets Claire a quite surprising hostess (Kirsten Dunst), that day by day changes his life.

Now about how the movie is: I have the impression that American critics and audiences would have a different take on this movie, from Europeans or the rest of the world. Crowe, basically makes a voyage that´s not only personal, but in a way political, the movie becomes, from my point of view, an handbook on how and why your Country can be cold and sharp at times, but with a warm, “intrepid” heart, with the capacity and the strength to always get up after a tragedy. The problem is that Cameron Crowe, uses very easy symbols, situations and sometimes sketched characters, that makes the message easy but not very original, and for an audience who´s not empotionally involved, the storyline becomes obvious and cheesy.

I will try to come back later to tell something more about the performances.

Romy

ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 09-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My usenet compadre John Harkness is in Venice covering the film festival & has this to say about the movie:

http://www.nowtoronto.com/minisites/...fm?daily_id=83

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
My usenet compadre John Harkness is in Venice covering the film festival & has this to say about the movie:

http://www.nowtoronto.com/minisites/...fm?daily_id=83
Thanks for the link, David. I've not heard of "Fragile" yet, but from what he says, it sounds quite good; I like Calista Flockhart a lot. "Darkness" was a real mess of a movie, and by that I mean both versions. Not even Lena Olin, Giancarlo Giannini, and Anna Paquin could make it even slightly interesting.

Can't say I'm looking forward to "Elizabethtown," but at least he made it sound much more interesting than the trailer that's out now.

Old 09-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay, some more, last bits, I promise. I've been at the movie press conference, with Crowe, Sarandon, Bloom, Dunst, Wagner (the producer), and when they came in there was a big applause especially for Crowe and Susan Sarandon, who with especially for one scene brings so much poetry and emotions to the movie that makes you feel better (you got to see it Dissention, even only for her).

By the way, there were a lot of questions (I wanted to ask something specific about the soundtrack but there wasn't enough time ), and Crowe was, as ever very polite and generous in his answers.

Some of the most interesting points:

There was a question about the music in this film and he basically said this (according to my notes): " Music is a big inspiration for me and the actors, it helps to understand the story as much as the words. It gives to the movie a bit more of a soul and that's the way I like to work".

About why he focused on success in the film: "I wanted to comment on the obsession for success and failure in America, that at the start defines Orlando's character. Then it arrives a big tragedy that makes him understand what is life really about and what does it mean to be alive".

About the characters: "You learn to know them step by step, the movie it's also a path through them".

About the map in the movie and why he chose certain places: "The map is one of my favourite parts of the film. I did that travel with the actors and it changed us all and our perspective on how America is, it gave us so much knowledge".

Then a nice compliment from Sarandon: Your questions are so long, not like in America when they only ask who are you sleeping with.. it's faboulous.

Sarandon about why in many of her movies death is an issue:
We're lucky people and it's easy to slip in a sort of trans, protected by our work, our caring family. But you have to keep being awake, and I realized that especially after becoming a mother. To deal with an issue as death helps to keep everything real. I don't sleep in a coffin, but those issues are part of my life every day.

Sarandon about 'the scene': I was a bit worried before shooting it, because I knew it had to work in a certain way to give a particular mood to the movie from then on. It shows how much my character learns through the film and focuses on the feelings turmoil of the other characters too, passing from sadness to joy, and the reverse.

Crowe on Sarandon: It's been a honour from me to work with her and I thank her for what she gave to this movie.

Bloom on how he coped with so many American examples of 'way of life' being an English: "Cameron has in himself America's heart and pulse. Spending three weeks in Louisville for the shooting opened my eyes: people were very friendly, and treat us as part of their community; I tried to see myself in that Country and the rest came from the script".

Crowe on the the moment of fear we're living, and if seeing, for instance, the metal detectors in Venice remembers him of it: "With our work, when fear is everywhere, you hope to be able to make a story that would create with the audience an emotional link. It's very important to create a sense of community, that all the personal effort actors put in their work get in people's emotions.

That's all... more or less.

By the way, I spoke with some other journalists and the movie basically was loved from some, hated by other and left perplexed some more (I'm among them). But it could be a hit, it has all the right elements, and I'm sure the soundtrack will sell many many copies, it's one of the best I've heard recently.

Romy

Last edited by Serrart; 09-04-2005 at 02:59 PM..