User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-2006, 07:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default "Something's gone terribly wrong" (UTS review)

CD Review: Lindsey Buckingham - Under The Skin
10/18/06 - 3:37 PM
By Ryan Emberley

http://www.andpop.com/article/7270

(andPOP) - What do you get when you combine masterful guitar playing, top-notch production and a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer? If it's anything but a great album, something's gone terribly wrong - and that's exactly what's happened with Lindsey Buckingham's Under The Skin.

When it was announced that Buckingham would be releasing his first solo album in more than a decade, I jumped out of my chair with excitement... or so the saying goes. I had great expectations for this album, especially following his spotless contributions to Fleetwood Mac’s 2003 album Say You Will (Peacekeeper and Say Goodbye are without peers in their own categories).

So what went wrong? As usual, when Buckingham is given the reigns and complete creative freedom... he tends to go a little mad; a touch too experimental for the average listener and, in this case, the avid fan.

Buckingham’s earlier solo works Law & Order, Go Insane and Out of the Cradle along with his contributions to Fleetwood Mac’s 1979 album Tusk are clear examples of experiments gone wrong.

Although there were a lot of dud songs, through excessive listening I could always manage to find some redeemable qualities (well most the time. Sorry Lindsey, I have yet to find anything enjoyable about Not That Funny).

When I’ve failed to appreciate Buckingham’s whimsical arrangements or experimental instrumentals in the past— I’ve generally been able to justify the work with the help of the ‘well, at least the lyrics kick ass’ thought process. Sadly, this is also not the case with Under The Skin. It feels as if Bono, and his addiction to forced rhymes and oh-so-obvious metaphors, has possessed the unsuspecting Buckingham.

This is not to say there aren’t any good songs on this album. Down on Rodeo and Someone’s Gotta Change Your Mind are certified toe-tappers. And Shut Us Down is one of my favourite songs in recent memory (once you get over its initial whispery peculiarity, it’s an absolute gem).

Here’s a piece of advice for Fleetwood Mac/Lindsey Buckingham fans considering buying this album: put the CD back on the shelf, and take a few steps over to the DVD section and buy Sound Stage Presents - Lindsey Buckingham. Not only is every quality song from Under The Skin on this DVD, but they are easily twice as good (due to Buckingham’s live music genius).

Time will tell if this body of work is able to heal itself in my eyes, but for the time being Under The Skin is simply under the weather.

2/5*
Reprise
Release Date: October 3, 2006