View Poll Results: Side 1 or Side 2?
Side 1 8 42.11%
Side 2 11 57.89%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2021, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
No, I wouldn't.

I don't HATE Oh Daddy, it's just my least favorite song on my FAVORITE album of all time. The album that created my direction in life. They can't all be your favorite song...

You know I don't like snoozefests. Beautiful Child blows, as does Storms. Silver Springs ain't exactly a cocaine dance, either! Gimme a damned beat!!!
Plus, she even says, if there's a fool around, it's got to be her. So you people stop blaming Homie.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

“IDWK” was the RIGHT choice for the record. The tempo, the tonal color, the blend of voices, which gives side two the right amount of pep and masculine presence before the album closes with the two iconic women features.

I also believe Stevie’s vocal on the original “Silver Springs” was underwhelming. She needed to grow into her own song. When she sings it in 1997, the change is stunning—and the song truly comes into its own as a classic. Before that it was just a pleasant, well-arranged B-side.

And thankfully “Oh Daddy” can and never shall be removed! It is a classic, among the finest moments on the record.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I would never mess with Rumours and Oh Daddy is one of the best musical tracks since Why.
I like IDWTK and it fits fine. We have heard the flow a million times so we cant get it out of our heads.
If I went back in time and pretended all the songs were new, I am not sure I would have axed Silver Springs because of time limits. I dislike the rationalization that because it was performed on the Dance that it makes up for it being left off Rumours. That is a bridge too far for me. It still would have been a discovery for the casual fans. Silver Springs was so good that radio stations would play it many years before the Dance ever came out. I do realize that in 1976, the band really had no duds. Sleeping Angel could have been on Rumours too. That 1976 demo is incredible. What it highlights is how good Rumours is when Silver Springs and Sleeping Angel are your "left overs." Its like Gold and Braid being left off Bella Donna and one of the "left overs". Really.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
“IDWK” was the RIGHT choice for the record. The tempo, the tonal color, the blend of voices, which gives side two the right amount of pep and masculine presence before the album closes with the two iconic women features.

I also believe Stevie’s vocal on the original “Silver Springs” was underwhelming. She needed to grow into her own song. When she sings it in 1997, the change is stunning—and the song truly comes into its own as a classic. Before that it was just a pleasant, well-arranged B-side.

And thankfully “Oh Daddy” can and never shall be removed! It is a classic, among the finest moments on the record.
Plus, Oh Daddy demonstrates that the haunting tones of Fleetwood Mac did not just come from Stevie Nicks, those tones were already there.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 04-26-2021 at 08:01 AM..
Old 04-26-2021, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Plus, Oh Daddy demonstrates that the haunting tones of Fleetwood Mac did not just come from Stevie Nicks, those tones were already there.
that music sounds hauntingly familiar
Old 04-26-2021, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There, in fact, well before Christine and Bob Welch.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Go Your Own Way of course but side 1 is the full soap opera glory of the album — it is greater than the sum of its parts

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
There, in fact, well before Christine and Bob Welch.
True, but Welch/Kirwan/McVie really started that snowball rollin' large.

To me, Why is a haunting song. Not to mention the many Welch tunes.
And yes, Man of the World, and a few other Peter selections.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
True, but Welch/Kirwan/McVie really started that snowball rollin' large.

To me, Why is a haunting song. Not to mention the many Welch tunes.
And yes, Man of the World, and a few other Peter selections.
I do love the murky, often mystical nature of their 1971-74 albums. This is partially because of their openness to different styles. It is one way in which their supposed inconsistency worked in their favor. “Keep On Going” is the eeriest, coolest tune. As is, of course, “Hypnotized.” But then, in very different ways, so are “Prove Your Love” and “Bad Loser.”

But for me the most mystical moments in the band’s history belong to Green. Black Magic Woman, Trying So Hard to Forget, Man of the World, World Keep On Turning, and most of all—Before the Beginning, which transports me in a way only the loneliest, angstiest songs can do—like Billie Hiliday’s “Strange Fruit”—or Christine’s “Oh Daddy.” It’s mystical without trying to be.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I do love the murky, often mystical nature of their 1971-74 albums. This is partially because of their openness to different styles. It is one way in which their supposed inconsistency worked in their favor. “Keep On Going” is the eeriest, coolest tune. As is, of course, “Hypnotized.” But then, in very different ways, so are “Prove Your Love” and “Bad Loser.”

But for me the most mystical moments in the band’s history belong to Green. Black Magic Woman, Trying So Hard to Forget, Man of the World, World Keep On Turning, and most of all—Before the Beginning, which transports me in a way only the loneliest, angstiest songs can do—like Billie Hiliday’s “Strange Fruit”—or Christine’s “Oh Daddy.” It’s mystical without trying to be.
Lest not forget the Bare Trees album cover. You listen to the music and stare at the album cover like the old days. So beautiful, so beautiful....
Old 04-26-2021, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To fully appreciate just how good the 69-74 period was, the latest boxset is a must own. You will be treated to amazing sounds you never thought existed. So many treats, hard to mention them all but my personal fav is Good Things Come to Those Who Wait, the outtake from MTM. It sounds like it was recorded yesterday it's so crisp and clear, the two voices mesh like the fabric of a 1000 count bedsheet.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
the two voices mesh like the fabric of a 1000 count bedsheet.
Okay, do tell, for which music mag do you write?