The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Villavic, I don’t believe if FM performs songs live that they have to pay the songwriter, or Hipgnosis. What I believe Hipgnosic can do with any catalogs they’ve purchased is get royalties if the songs are used in movies. For example, if the next Guardians of the Galaxy movie includes Little Lies, then Hipgnosis would receive payment, not the songwriter(s). Also, they would have to grant permission for the movie to use the song. So what can happen, and why some people get cranky about songwriters selling their catalog even though it’s none of their business, is that Hypgnosis can sell the song for commercials. Imagine You Make Loving Fun being used in a commercial for a dating app, or Over My Head for a bankruptcy commercial.

I’m sure there’s much more to it, but those are the things that are most commonly associated with selling catalogs. Basically, they sell the rights now instead of leaving the estate to deal with it. I don’t blame any of them one bit for selling catalogs of songs that are nearly 50 years old. Get the cash now and divvy it up in their wills.

Last edited by bwboy; 08-10-2021 at 10:25 AM..
Old 08-10-2021, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Villavic, I don’t believe if FM performs songs live that they have to pay the songwriter, or Hipgnosis. What I believe Hipgnosic can do with any catalogs they’ve purchased is get royalties if the songs are used in movies. For example, if the next Guardians of the Galaxy movie includes Little Lies, then Hipgnosis would receive payment, not the songwriter(s). Also, they would have to grant permission for the movie to use the song. So what can happen, and why some people get cranky about songwriters selling their catalog even though it’s none of their business, is that Hypgnosis can sell the song for commercials. Imagine You Make Loving Fun being used in a commercial for a dating app, or Over My Head for a bankruptcy commercial.

I’m sure there’s much more to it, but those are the things that are most commonly associated with selling catalogs. Basically, they sell the rights now instead of leaving the estate to deal with it. I don’t blame any of them one bit for selling catalogs of songs that are nearly 50 years old. Get the cash now and divvy it up in their wills.
Maybe we'll see Bad Loser in the next presidential campaign
Old 08-10-2021, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

She could have simply purchased the rights back at some point in time, right?

McCartney said he contemplated buying the rights back from Michael Jackson several times over the decades.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
She could have simply purchased the rights back at some point in time, right?

McCartney said he contemplated buying the rights back from Michael Jackson several times over the decades.
If so, isn't it weird that none of us has ever heard about it? I mean we share everything FM that we ever come across... how DARE Christine do something without our knowLEDGE!
Old 08-10-2021, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
If so, isn't it weird that none of us has ever heard about it? I mean we share everything FM that we ever come across... how DARE Christine do something without our knowLEDGE!
It's more likely to become a headline when somebody else purchases the rights from Christine and they put out a press release. It's less likely any headlines were made if she quietly purchased the rights back.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I wonder how much they originally sold for? I also wonder how much they sold for now?

When she came back to the band, I am curious why or if she bought them back?

Money makes the world go around. Not THAT long ago, artists would never sell any rights just to keep their art. Now many of them do it toward the end of their career.
Prince is rolling over in his grave.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's more likely to become a headline when somebody else purchases the rights from Christine and they put out a press release. It's less likely any headlines were made if she quietly purchased the rights back.
Well, and she isn't an attention wh*re like the rest of them.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I wonder how much they originally sold for? I also wonder how much they sold for now?

Money makes the world go around. Not THAT long ago, artists would never sell any rights just to keep their art. Now many of them do it toward the end of their career.
Prince is rolling over in his grave.
I think it was 34 million.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Well, and she isn't an attention wh*re like the rest of them.
Well...she was too busy buying a house!

Old 08-10-2021, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well...she was too busy buying a house!

That was the only excuse she could come up with, when put on the spot!
Old 08-10-2021, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's Christine's version of Stevie's infamous "I don't understand their premise"
Old 08-12-2021, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post

Ooh boy- Variety has a big article on their website that tries to explain this hot mess. Sorry, I can’t post the link, but basically, two companies own her rights. I read the article, and I don’t understand it lol!
Old 08-12-2021, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My understanding is she hasn't given up ALL royalties, just PUBLISHING royalties. Thus she would still get songwriter/performer royalties. Publishing rights means owner of publishing rights gets to approve various uses for the song-- a film, a commercial, etc.

ETA: Ok, Pulling the Variety article, she has given up ALL her rights, including songwriter rights, not just publishing rights. So her songs are truly not hers in anyway anymore and she no longer gets royalty checks, she got it all in one lump.

Here's the text of the article:

UPDATED: Fleetwood Mac’s Christine McVie has sold assets from her 115-title song catalog to Hipgnosis, the fast-growing music company that has spent more than $2 billion in three years acquiring rights to a vast number of popular songs.

Hipgnosis has acquired 100% of McVie’s ownership in the catalog, including writer’s share and neighboring rights; in a statement to Variety, Universal Music Publishing emphasized that it owns and administers “the vast majority” of McVie’s catalog.

McVie, who first joined Fleetwood Mac in 1970, is the writer of many of the long-running group’s biggest hits, including “Don’t Stop,” “You Make Loving Fun,” “Over My Head,” “Songbird,” “Say You Love Me” and others. Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998, Fleetwood Mac are one of the most commercially successful music artists of the past 50 years, with the Grammy-winning 1977 album “Rumours” selling more than 45 million copies worldwide; second is 1987’s “Tango in the Night,” at 15 million.

McVie is the fourth of the band’s five members to make such a deal in the past nine months, and the second to go with Hipgnosis, after fellow Mac singer-songwriter Lindsey Buckingham completed the sale of 100% of his publishing rights to the company in January. Stevie Nicks, the group’s other major singer and songwriter, struck a far-reaching $100 million deal with Primary Wave late last year, and drummer-cofounder Mick Fleetwood made one with BMG comprising a variety of rights in January.

According to the announcement, Hipgnosis has acquired McVie’s worldwide copyright, ownership and financial interest, including writer’s share, of all compositions and neighboring rights. The deal also includes her pre-Fleetwood Mac work with the British group Chicken Shack and her solo material, including her 1969 debut, “Christine Perfect.” Hipgnosis has acquired catalogs including Neil Young, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Shakira, Barry Manilow and many successful songwriter-producers.

McVie was represented by business manager Paul Glass at the Colony Group, manager Martin Wyatt and attorney Mario González.

“I am so excited to belong to the Hipgnosis family, and thrilled that you all regard my songs worthy of merit,” McVie said of the deal. “I’d like to thank you all for your faith in me, and I’ll do all I can to continue this new relationship and help in any way I can! Thank you so much!”

Hignosis cofounder Merck Mercuriadis said, “Christine McVie is one of the greatest songwriters of all time, having guided Fleetwood Mac to almost 150 million albums sold and making them one of the best-selling bands of all time globally. In the last 46 years the band have had three distinct writers and vocalists but Christine’s importance is amply demonstrated by the fact that eight of the 16 songs on the band’s Greatest Hits albums are from Christine. It’s wonderful for us to welcome Christine to the Hipgnosis Family and particularly wonderful to reunite her once again at Hipgnosis with Lindsey Buckingham. Between Christine and Lindsey we now have 48 of 68 songs on the band’s most successful albums.”

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 08-12-2021 at 07:10 PM..
Old 08-12-2021, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, but as already noted by folks here, Christine sold her catalog several years earlier, and the Variety article (tried to) explain how Hipgnosis was also able to buy her catalog. Apparently, the company that purchased her catalog first has major issues with the press release Hipgnosis sent out explaining their deal. They say it’s very misleading as to which songs Hipgnosis actually now owns. I’m sure more will be revealed in the next few days explaining it.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've never understood all the intricacies of copyrights. I asked Bob Welch about it once, and he explained it in fairly good detail, but I still didn't fully understand it. Wtf are mechanicals???

I have his response saved on a computer at my other house, but I won't be back in the south of France for a bit.