The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Current lineup is not worthy of Hold Me.

I was pretty bummed it wasn’t on the setlist for On With The Show, because it definitely should have been. I cannot believe they would do this song without Lindsey. I have not seen videos of it yet. I keep checking Instagram and YouTube. The only way that it would be okay for them to play Hold Me without Lindsey is if Christine sings all the lead vocals by herself.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
I was pretty bummed it wasn’t on the setlist for On With The Show, because it definitely should have been. I cannot believe they would do this song without Lindsey. I have not seen videos of it yet. I keep checking Instagram and YouTube. The only way that it would be okay for them to play Hold Me without Lindsey is if Christine sings all the lead vocals by herself.
Do you remember she did this one on her 1984 tour, and she sang with — I think it was — George Hawkins. Maybe Todd Sharp sang, too?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-28-2018, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Do you remember she did this one on her 1984 tour, and she sang with — I think it was — George Hawkins. Maybe Todd Sharp sang, too?

Yes, I almost mentioned that in my post. I still stand by my claim. Christine’s solo tour in 1984 was a totally different situation. It’s like Stevie playing Dreams or Gypsy on her solo tours. Christine, of course, was going to play a few of her popular Fleetwood Mac songs on her solo tour and Hold Me was a big early 80s hit. This new lineup is a completely different situation, not comparable to Christine’s mid 80s solo tour.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
You said you haven't been able to see a video of it yet (I haven't either and I'd love to give it a listen). Perhaps wait until you do before you pass judgement on it? Just a thought...
Old 11-28-2018, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Of course. The addition of Hold Me at this phase of the tour is desperation. The arenas are packed but very low energy crowds compared with On With The Show. The band feels this and keeps dropping any deep tracks for more hits. We lost Hypnotized, Storms, Isn't It Midnight, and some Finn song. The casual "fans" want the hits because they never heard these other songs. The fans are like a deer caught in the headlights when the deep tracks are played. If things continue at this rate, don't be surprised to see Stand Back come into the set.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don’t see why not. It’s not like Lindsey wrote it.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-28-2018, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I don’t see why not. It’s not like Lindsey wrote it.
Exactly. And he's a co-writer on Isn't It Midnight, and no one seemed to mind having that in the set. (But it's readily apparent that the band can do no right....including Lindsey is shameful but leaving him out is disrespectful.)
Old 11-28-2018, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Exactly. And he's a co-writer on Isn't It Midnight, and no one seemed to mind having that in the set. (But it's readily apparent that the band can do no right....including Lindsey is shameful but leaving him out is disrespectful.)
It's Christine's song--she can do whatever she wants with it. Personally, I was thrilled to hear it during BuckVie, but full disclosure, I don't think it sounded that great. That's neither here nor there at this point though. Like I said, it's her song ultimately, and she's part of the band. I will say though, and I believe an earlier poster mentioned it, stripping back the set list now to include the "standards" or well known songs is disappointing. While I am not thrilled about the LB situation, I was intrigued by the earlier set list. They don't come around my way til next year--my curiosity was starting to get the best of me--but the more obscure/less known/less "commercial" stuff they strip out--the less interested I am. At this rate, by the time the 2019 iteration of the tour rolls around, I fear OWTS part deux. And I don't need to pay these prices for that.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Of course. The addition of Hold Me at this phase of the tour is desperation. The arenas are packed but very low energy crowds compared with On With The Show. The band feels this and keeps dropping any deep tracks for more hits. We lost Hypnotized, Storms, Isn't It Midnight, and some Finn song. The casual "fans" want the hits because they never heard these other songs. The fans are like a deer caught in the headlights when the deep tracks are played. If things continue at this rate, don't be surprised to see Stand Back come into the set.
The low energy is coming from people who are saying "WHERE THE F IS LINDSEY?" And you KNOW that's part of it. Many people had no idea.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The most offensive part of the current lineup’s rendition is the horrid pink Windows 95 screensaver going on in the background.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-29-2018, 01:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The most offensive part of the current lineup’s rendition is the horrid pink Windows 95 screensaver going on in the background.
What is the significance of the weird crap they're putting on the video screen behind the band? Dare I ask whose idea it is to show breaching whales, horses, and other flora and fauna in slow motion and split screen?

Since it took them long enough to play Hold Me, I went ahead and played it meself on drugs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_lfezASuZQ

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-29-2018, 02:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
What is the significance of the weird crap they're putting on the video screen behind the band? Dare I ask whose idea it is to show breaching whales, horses, and other flora and fauna in slow motion and split screen?

Since it took them long enough to play Hold Me, I went ahead and played it meself on drugs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_lfezASuZQ
I much prefer it in D. Dropping it to B was far too obvious a key change for Buck Vie(and I can only assume, this current infarcenation).

Was that Max Simmons in your video montage?

And Honest Abe would be rolling over in his grave, at Lindsey's expulsion.

The horrors. My god, the horrors.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:49 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Right now I'm not surprise if they drop Black Magic Woman or Tell me for "Stand back" they lost another time to do something new without a record a new work they have no fantasy.....it's more sad with Lindsey would be same because with him in 15 years same 14/15 songs in all tour........Always the same
Old 11-29-2018, 06:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Of course they have a right to play Hold Me and its a great song. However when they first announced their set list, I think most of us were surprised the dare they were taking on with deep tracks. Its apparent with dropping the deep tracks, the band feels the mood of the arena is off.
I could be in the minority but the longer this tour goes on, the more odd it is to me. I think the band would have been better off hiring a guitarist who does not sing. I think they are fully trying to replicate Lindsey in replacing him vocally and musically. I think Stevie and Chris have enough material to carry a full concert set. For the band to fire Lindsey and hire another guitarist to not only play guitar but sing Lindsey songs is still very strange to me. Imagine if the Rolling Stones fired Keith Richards and the band hired a new guitarist. The band puts "Little T&A" in the set. The fans would boo and throw food at the stage. Its bad enough you fire the guitarist but sing his songs too? I am not being harsh on Finn. He was put in this position because they want him to sing and be like Lindsey. The band cant have Finn sing vintage Mac songs because apparently the audience is bored. They dropped Hypnotized only after a few weeks. So the band feels they must play Lindsey's Rumours songs. These songs most of the audience knows. Its so strange for the band to be playing Monday Morning, Second Hand News, and Go Your Own Way. Ok, I may give them a pass at GYOW. Its always closed their sets. It was done in the years Lindsey left. However, even in those years the band did not dare do Lindsey songs. Blue Letter was played in 1987 but Lindsey did not write it. They found a way not to try and reproduce Lindsey. You cant reproduce a guitarist AND vocalist in a band. Its impossible. This is what I feel the band is experiencing right now. The concert numbers are pretty good. But something still does not feel right.
And they wonder why?

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-29-2018 at 06:14 AM..
Old 11-29-2018, 07:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Of course they have a right to play Hold Me and its a great song. However when they first Its so strange for the band to be playing Monday Morning, Second Hand News, and Go Your Own Way. Ok, I may give them a pass at GYOW. Its always closed their sets. It was done in the years Lindsey left. However, even in those years the band did not dare do Lindsey songs. Blue Letter was played in 1987 but Lindsey did not write it. They found a way not to try and reproduce Lindsey. You cant reproduce a guitarist AND vocalist in a band. Its impossible. This is what I feel the band is experiencing right now. The concert numbers are pretty good. But something still does not feel right.
And they wonder why?
Just wanted to remind you that Billy Burnette also sang Don't Let Me Down Again, a song that Lindsey recorded before he even joined FM. To me, that was more brazen than Neil singing Second Hand News.

Also, I understand what you're saying about Hold Me, but the fact that FM hasn't performed it live since 1982 does, to me, make it a surprising and pleasing addition! Although I hate they gave up Isn't It Midnight, at least they replaced it with Hold Me and not Over My Head, for example, a song I love but has been performed several times by FM, unlike Hold Me.

I kind of thought there was a good chance Hold Me and Wish You Were Here would be on the original set list, since they were performed by Buck/Vie last year.