Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Stevie has dropped several of her new songs on SYW tour (RTTG was performed once or twice, same with DR), not sure whether they were replaced with some other songs or purely dropped.
Has always annoyed me that those were dropped from the outset. But then again, so was Red Rover.

The way I see it, Stevie didn't give RTTG a chance because (if I'm correct) she just said "Here's a new song" and didn't give it any context. The way she used to introduce "Rhiannon" as being a song about a Welsh witch (sic)... that gave the narrative legs and helped people buy into the otherwise peculiar lyrics. Wasted opportunity with RTTG, given the great story behind it.

PS Same goes for Red Rover. I'm assuming that on the one or two times LB played it on the SYW tour, he didn't preface it with the current clear explanation of the lyrics, which is such a cool little story.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:25 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Has always annoyed me that those were dropped from the outset. But then again, so was Red Rover.

The way I see it, Stevie didn't give RTTG a chance because (if I'm correct) she just said "Here's a new song" and didn't give it any context. The way she used to introduce "Rhiannon" as being a song about a Welsh witch (sic)... that gave the narrative legs and helped people buy into the otherwise peculiar lyrics. Wasted opportunity with RTTG, given the great story behind it.

PS Same goes for Red Rover. I'm assuming that on the one or two times LB played it on the SYW tour, he didn't preface it with the current clear explanation of the lyrics, which is such a cool little story.
Agreed. I actually like the lyrics to RTTG quite a bit, all the stuff about Stevie comparing herself to a poison as she grows older, imprisoning others, having to come to understand herself, running towards what she knows is wrong, etc. It's a pretty cool window into her angst-y mind lol, especially given the period when it was written (1984 or so) at the height of her drug craze.

The problem is that the song was arranged strangely in both the RAL demo and SYW song. I still love it but I think both forms leave something to be desired. I thought the live clip we had came off very well. Would have loved to have seen it on the Live in Boston DVD.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 11-01-2018, 02:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess I should be grateful I went to the Chicago show. Storms sounded good--Stevie and Neil's vocals were good. I love this song. I was excited about Hypnotized cause I love this song too but missed Lindsey's singing on it. I Got You was one I could have done without--Stevie shouting the chorus.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:16 AM
Senior Ledgie

If people can’t realize the treat of hearing one of Stevie/FM most gorgeous songs, they have no business being at the show. Just put on the greatest hits CD at home. So disrespectful of the band to walk out, talk, look bored during any song, especially Storms.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Can you - or someone who knows - tell me what happened with Red Rover on SYW tour? I’m still forever regretting not seeing that tour, for multiple reasons. My understanding is that SYW tour had several legs and some songs were swapped between the legs. Was Red Rover played on one leg and some other LB song on another?

I understand he also played it on UTS solo tour, at one of the legs? That’s the tour where he kept adding legs. But Red Rover is not on his Bass Hall DVD. And it is on his Soundstage, with that intro about gods pulling the plug on humans, and I think he used a very similar intro during STW leg?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-01-2018, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

They played Red Rover when I saw them in Camden in Sept of 2004. I wasn't a fan of that song at all but it sounded a lot better live. For some reason that show wasn't even close to a sell out but I had the toughest time finding good seats. That was the third time I saw them on the Say You Will Tour and you could tell they were worn out by then. The best shows were Pittsburgh & Toronto. Beautiful Child was the highlight for me besides hearing the new songs from Say You Will at the time.

Last edited by kak125; 11-02-2018 at 08:18 AM..
Old 11-01-2018, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They're dropping some of the lesser-known songs because the audience is hugely built off of casual fans who don't know or care? What an absolute shock! No one saw that coming at all!!
Old 11-01-2018, 04:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default SYW Pittsburgh

So glad someone else was at the SYW Pittsburgh show! I've tried, for a looooong time, to track down a bootleg of that show. It was one of the best shows I've seen. And to be able to hear Destiny Rules before it went away was such a treat. A little sad I didn't catch the second leg at Blossom to catch Sara before it was tamed a bit. Pittsburgh...great show. And I'll be at tonight's show hoping they decide to put the set back together just for me...most likely in vain.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubrick2788 View Post
So glad someone else was at the SYW Pittsburgh show! I've tried, for a looooong time, to track down a bootleg of that show. It was one of the best shows I've seen. And to be able to hear Destiny Rules before it went away was such a treat. A
i have DC show bootlleg and it has Destiny Rules too. that guitar outro was divine! so jealous you guys got to hear it in person.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-01-2018, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Can you - or someone who knows - tell me what happened with Red Rover on SYW tour? I’m still forever regretting not seeing that tour, for multiple reasons. My understanding is that SYW tour had several legs and some songs were swapped between the legs. Was Red Rover played on one leg and some other LB song on another?
I don't know definitively, but my understanding was that Red Rover was pulled very early in the SYW tour, like RTTG and Destiny Rules. I may be wrong.
I can say for certain that none of those songs were played during the Australian leg of SYW (during which I went to four shows)... and that I Know I'm Not Wrong and Sara were only added in the second US leg that followed the Australian tour.

I was on an FM/LB hiatus between SYW and now, but your rundown of Red Rover's appearances since then gel with my understanding.

What a song. I'll never forget my first time listening to it on the Gift of Screws demos website back in the day. And I love it even more now because of the explanatory story.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Syw Dc

Elle, I would be very interested in that show if you happen to want to share...?
Old 11-01-2018, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Or according to this Wikipedia article, Red Rover was added in the final leg to replace What's The World Coming To...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Say_You_Will_Tour
Old 11-02-2018, 08:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubrick2788 View Post
So glad someone else was at the SYW Pittsburgh show! I've tried, for a looooong time, to track down a bootleg of that show. It was one of the best shows I've seen. And to be able to hear Destiny Rules before it went away was such a treat. A little sad I didn't catch the second leg at Blossom to catch Sara before it was tamed a bit. Pittsburgh...great show. And I'll be at tonight's show hoping they decide to put the set back together just for me...most likely in vain.
I totally agree with you. It's been 15 years and I still talk about that Pittsburgh Say You Will show. I don't think anything could ever top that one. Did you have fun last night? My hubby and I had a blast as well as my in-laws. I still wish they would have kept in Storms, Hypnotized & I Got You though.

Thought you might like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmn4To8Dyz8
Old 11-02-2018, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak125 View Post
I totally agree with you. It's been 15 years and I still talk about that Pittsburgh Say You Will show. I don't think anything could ever top that one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmn4To8Dyz8
Destiny Rules sounds absolutely amazing here, the players seem to be enjoying themselves, and so do the crowd.

What was Stevie thinking in dumping the new songs so quickly?
Old 11-02-2018, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Destiny Rules sounds absolutely amazing here, the players seem to be enjoying themselves, and so do the crowd.

What was Stevie thinking in dumping the new songs so quickly?
I hear ya there. I loved hearing all those Say You Will songs I was obsessed with that album when it came out. I hate when she does that it's like have some confidence and play the new songs dammit!