Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
We has Hills in Indiana. They went out sometime in the late 90's, bought out by Ame's. I only remember Ame's because I bought deck chairs there when I bought my house in 2000(when I bought the chairs). Ame's didn't last long.

The only FM purchase I remember 100% is buying Live at K-mart, the day it was released.

AND that Bella Donna is the last 8 track I ever bought.
I also bought the live album at K mart. But it was 1983. I think Hills is a eastern Ohio, Western PA, and WV chain. They were founded in Youngstown OH but had their HQ in Mass. Did not realize they had them in Indiana. I worked for Hills one summer and they were so employee friendly. Paid their employees cash on pay day in the front office. Hills was so much better than Ames, Walmart, Kmart, etc. In Pittsburgh the Hills snack bar was so popular that they still sell Hills Snack bar candles around the area. I dont know how they do it but the candle smells exactly like the snack bar...mixture of popcorn, hot pretzels, hot dogs and Icee's

https://sugarcreekcandlecompany.com/...nt=35567844747

https://www.post-gazette.com/local/e...s/201604190033

Do you remember their jingle? Hills is where the toys are?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiNa1DDxWAQ

I bought Christine McVie's solo album and Rumours at Hills. I bought Bella Donna at Woolworths. The rest at various record stores.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-27-2021 at 08:48 AM..
Old 03-27-2021, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I also bought the live album at K mart. But it was 1983. I think Hills is a eastern Ohio, Western PA, and WV chain. They were founded in Youngstown OH but had their HQ in Mass. Did not realize they had them in Indiana. I worked for Hills one summer and they were so employee friendly. Paid their employees cash on pay day in the front office. Hills was so much better than Ames, Walmart, Kmart, etc. In Pittsburgh the Hills snack bar was so popular that they still sell Hills Snack bar candles around the area. I dont know how they do it but the candle smells exactly like the snack bar...mixture of popcorn, hot pretzels, hot dogs and Icee's

https://sugarcreekcandlecompany.com/...nt=35567844747

https://www.post-gazette.com/local/e...s/201604190033

Do you remember their jingle? Hills is where the toys are?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiNa1DDxWAQ

I bought Christine McVie's solo album and Rumours at Hills. I bought Bella Donna at Woolworths. The rest at various record stores.
Yeah, we had Hills all over central Indiana. I haven't thought of that toy commercial for years!

We also had(when I was very young) Air(Ayr?) Way, which was the bargain store version of the L.S. Ayres company. When Target came on the scene, they bought out Air Way, and those stores became Targets.

I think it's funny that you remember where you made all those purchases. I no longer remember most of them. I only remember live because I couldn't get the cellophane off it fast enough, to shove it into my 8 track player! Lol

Things I do remember in a freakish way? At my little honky tonk in Nashville, I can play 3+ hours of music on the jukebox, WITHOUT LOOKING UP ONE SINGLE NUMBER. They tell me that's abnormal! GYOW will come on... I'll randomly say, "that's 4005, you know!".
"David, you're a freak!"
"I know".
Old 03-27-2021, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, we had Hills all over central Indiana. I haven't thought of that toy commercial for years!

We also had(when I was very young) Air(Ayr?) Way, which was the bargain store version of the L.S. Ayres company. When Target came on the scene, they bought out Air Way, and those stores became Targets.

I think it's funny that you remember where you made all those purchases. I no longer remember most of them. I only remember live because I couldn't get the cellophane off it fast enough, to shove it into my 8 track player! Lol

Things I do remember in a freakish way? At my little honky tonk in Nashville, I can play 3+ hours of music on the jukebox, WITHOUT LOOKING UP ONE SINGLE NUMBER. They tell me that's abnormal! GYOW will come on... I'll randomly say, "that's 4005, you know!".
"David, you're a freak!"
"I know".
I was in cult worship at the time so I remember everything pretty vividly. Even when I listen to a CD or hear a clip on youtube, my brain takes me back to where the scratch was on my album and I would have to move the needle along. It majorly sucked when you bought an album and it had scratches on it. Something the younger generation would never understand.
I bought the Stand Back 45 single at Kmart and the Mirage album at SEARS that was scratched like hell on Love In Store. I shared my 14th birthday party story buying Christine McVie in Feb 1984 and not wanting to buy it in front of them until the stereo section at Hills had several stereos on the local rock station and they introduced One In A Million while I had the album in my hands. It was too much for me to take and I suddenly had pride take me over and bought the album with my birthday money. I also remember buying Behind The Mask cassette on earth day 1990 at the Greengate Mall, Greensburg, PA at Record and Tape world. I had bought TOSOTM tape there the earlier year. I bought the Tango cassette at the Monroeville Mall in 1987. I also used to have a very unique poster collection that I remember where I got each one. I became a fan in the 80s so the Mac was sort of a washed up band by then. But these mom and pop stores had all these golden oldies posters or Fleetwood Mac iron ons (gosh remember those). So I had a very unique collection. Some things stay with you. Its funny you remember the Mirage concert with detail yet the Wild Heart you can barely remember.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was in cult worship at the time so I remember everything pretty vividly. Even when I listen to a CD or hear a clip on youtube, my brain takes me back to where the scratch was on my album and I would have to move the needle along. It majorly sucked when you bought an album and it had scratches on it. Something the younger generation would never understand.
I bought the Stand Back 45 single at Kmart and the Mirage album at SEARS that was scratched like hell on Love In Store. I shared my 14th birthday party story buying Christine McVie in Feb 1984 and not wanting to buy it in front of them until the stereo section at Hills had several stereos on the local rock station and they introduced One In A Million while I had the album in my hands. It was too much for me to take and I suddenly had pride take me over and bought the album with my birthday money. I also remember buying Behind The Mask cassette on earth day 1990 at the Greengate Mall, Greensburg, PA at Record and Tape world. I had bought TOSOTM tape there the earlier year. I bought the Tango cassette at the Monroeville Mall in 1987. I also used to have a very unique poster collection that I remember where I got each one. I became a fan in the 80s so the Mac was sort of a washed up band by then. But these mom and pop stores had all these golden oldies posters or Fleetwood Mac iron ons (gosh remember those). So I had a very unique collection. Some things stay with you. Its funny you remember the Mirage concert with detail yet the Wild Heart you can barely remember.
I wish I remembered things like that. It's definitely a me issue. I'm not a minute detail guy.

I had so many copies of Rumours that I couldn't begin to tell you where they came from(other than the first, which was my cousin moving in with us- which begat the obsession).

I really only "lock into time" on songs that were love related(in my own life). HAEWAFY, Do You Know, ALAYF. Those instantly take me to that moment in time. HAEWAFY still brings me to tears. (THERE, I said it)

I remember playing some stupid game at the county fair, until I finally won the FM mirror. And buying the Buck Vie record store thing(crap, I forget what they're called... like 30"x30" thick plastic thing of the album cover- that the record stores hang in the lighted case). I stalked that record store manager until he finally took it down and sold it to me. I still haven't built a lighted case for it...
Old 06-16-2021, 06:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

06/09/1984 Love Will Show Us How peaks at #30
Old 06-16-2021, 08:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
06/09/1984 Love Will Show Us How peaks at #30
Omg—I remember this!
Old 06-16-2021, 08:51 AM

When I saw the video, I died. Totally loved it.

Mr LeGrande!
Old 06-16-2021, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
When I saw the video, I died. Totally loved it.

Mr LeGrande!
It definitely was one of the better videos of the 1980s. The song is excellent and transformed to a great rocker live. However, a few tweaks could have made the song a bigger hit. It needs a second verse (after the chorus). I would not 80s synth it but it also needed some Christine charm in some keyboards. It has a touch of country almost. A bouncy keyboard rocker with a second verse could have made the song even better IMHO.
The song was blazing into the top 40 just as Christine's solo tour was in full swing. Being it was her second song in the set, let her make her solo statement early.

The live version is pretty much identical to the album. The song did not appear on the video album/concert. But sure enough the out take showed up on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz0gYtzUaZ4

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-17-2021 at 07:41 AM..
Old 06-17-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
It definitely was one of the better videos of the 1980s. The song is excellent and transformed to a great rocker live. However, a few tweaks could have made the song a bigger hit. It needs a second verse. I would not 80s synth it but it also needed some Christine charm in some keyboards. It has a touch of country almost. A bouncy keyboard rocker with a second verse could have made the song even better IMHO.
The song was blazing into the top 40 just as Christine's solo tour was in full swing. Being it was her second song in the set, let her make her solo statement early.

The live version is pretty much identical to the album. The song did not appear on the video album/concert. But sure enough the out take showed up on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz0gYtzUaZ4
They did such a great job on tour. Thanks for posting!
Old 06-18-2021, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Now this is pretty cool. A Scandal/Christine McVie Goodbye to you remix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIJ0SsenWDI

And a Love will show us how guitar cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFjM61RLTWU
Old 06-18-2021, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder what is Christine doing nowadays.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Remember when they posted those wind blown old lady pictures of her walking her dogs in England when she was retired? Maybe we’ll get more of those.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Remember when they posted those wind blown old lady pictures of her walking her dogs in England when she was retired? Maybe we’ll get more of those.
You mean this:

Old 06-18-2021, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
You mean this:

It's a little unfair to show an older lady when she's just walking her dog, with no makeup on. Unless it's $$$$tevie, then it's fair game.
Old 06-19-2021, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Unless it's $$$$tevie, then it's fair game.
Who??? Sorry just a bit sarcasm though actually it is admirable how you find a way to mention her in threads that are not supposed to have anything to do with her. Since you wrote she is a snake, a bitter old hag, I thought you were upset with SN. In fact, when I remember everything that happened, there are times when I don't want to know anything about Stevie Nicks, but since I end up reading her name in forums where I didn't think I'd find her, I start to think that the goal is to love her again. Just in case, not big deal, it's just that I always think... when something (or somebody) bothers me, I try not think about it, I avoid to talk or read about it. I'm not thinking about it every time. But, not everyone thinks the same and I understand and accept that.