User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Hypothetically, if they get a $150,000 guarantee for a show (which seems low for Stevie Nicks and Crowded House in New Zealand), can do ten shows (four in Auckland, two everywhere else), and it costs $50,000 for a round trip (random high number), they’d still make more than enough to justify it. Stevie wouldn’t be bringing her crew, and the musicians would probably use backline equipment, save for guitars and a snare/random percussion.
I could see Stevie going on stage before CH. She basically said Don't Dream was the greatest song written every night on the 2018 Tour. She opened for Rod, Tom, Aerosmith, and was going to open for Tame Impala in 2020.

Do Nick and Mitch live in the US? I wonder if they've all been in NZ for 2021 so far.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I could see Stevie going on stage before CH. She basically said Don't Dream was the greatest song written every night on the 2018 Tour. She opened for Rod, Tom, Aerosmith, and was going to open for Tame Impala in 2020.

Do Nick and Mitch live in the US? I wonder if they've all been in NZ for 2021 so far.
Mitchell lives in LA, but I think Nick lives in NZ.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-08-2021, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mitchell lives in LA, but I think Nick lives in NZ.
Yea. I think if you're a big draw concert artist like Mac, Eagles, or Harry Styles, you can make a NZ Tour worth the trip. Platinum and VIP! Distanced M&G with Mick
Old 03-08-2021, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yea. I think if you're a big draw concert artist like Mac, Eagles, or Harry Styles, you can make a NZ Tour worth the trip. Platinum and VIP! Distanced M&G with Mick
Sorry, I totally disagree, and it's why you see limited acts, even well established acts, tour New Zealand, and they certainly don't tour without having Australia dates to add to the tour leg.

My opinion here is more than just speculation and it has a level of informed experience when it comes to the costs of doing business in NZ and AU from
a US base.

Also, the number quoted above as a $50,000 cost per show is not even close for two headlining acts such as Stevie Nicks and Crowded House to play arena sized venues. Especially with the front loaded costs that come with bringing arena level production values, along with said headliners' entourages to an island nation where costs are exponentially higher than US domestic production costs. Those front end expenses must get amortized across a limited number of shows and it further drives an unhealthy expense vs revenue ratio.

Look, they could go play a New Zealand only tour in a dual billed show, but it won't be for a any sort of big pay day.

Last edited by John Run; 03-08-2021 at 06:28 PM..
Old 03-08-2021, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Run View Post
Sorry, I totally disagree, and it's why you see limited acts, even well established acts, tour New Zealand, and they certainly don't tour without having Australia dates to add to the tour leg.

My opinion here is more than just speculation and it has a level of informed experience when it comes to the costs of doing business in NZ and AU from
a US base.

Also, the number quoted above as a $50,000 cost per show is not even close for two headlining acts such as Stevie Nicks and Crowded House to play arena sized venues. Especially with the front loaded costs that come with bringing arena level production values, along with said headliners' entourages to an island nation where costs are exponentially higher than US domestic production costs. Those front end expenses must get amortized across a limited number of shows and it further drives an unhealthy expense vs revenue ratio.

Look, they could go play a New Zealand only tour in a dual billed show, but it won't be for a any sort of big pay day.
I respect your response and intelligence; very impressive! Thank you.
So then Crowded House is making the current tour work because they didn't have to transport anything other than the musicians and perhaps staffers?
Old 03-08-2021, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

My opinion here is more than just speculation and it has a level of informed experience when it comes to the costs of doing business in NZ and AU from a US base.

Especially with the front loaded costs that come with bringing arena level production values, along with said headliners' entourages to an island nation where costs are exponentially higher than US domestic production costs. Those front end expenses must get amortized across a limited number of shows and it further drives an unhealthy expense vs revenue ratio.
Not to state the obvious, but Crowded House is from New Zealand. This isn’t a global tour with a production team that is traveling all over the world with their own equipment, it’s a New Zealand tour put together with a New Zealand-based production team, staff, and crew. I believe that‘s the whole point of Stevie touring New Zealand with one of New Zealand’s top acts.

All Stevie would be bringing is musicians, assistants, a tour manager, guitars, and a few pieces of percussion. The backline (amps, keyboards, drums, etc), audio engineering, AV rig, and crew would be based in New Zealand.

Quote:
Also, the number quoted above as a $50,000 cost per show is not even close for two headlining acts such as Stevie Nicks and Crowded House to play arena sized venues.
The $50,000 was the cost for the people not already in New Zealand to get to New Zealand. The show guarantee I threw out, $150,000 per show, isn’t that out there.

Quote:
So then Crowded House is making the current tour work because they didn't have to transport anything other than the musicians and perhaps staffers?
Which is the whole point of Stevie taking her band there. Neil’s team would be setting everything up locally.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-08-2021, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hopkins - As the smartest person in the room, you are of course always right. I humbly defer to your omnipotence on this topic and all others.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hopkins - As the smartest person in the room, you are of course always right. I humbly defer to your omnipotence on this topic and all others.
Is that more than just speculation and based on a level of informed experience?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-08-2021, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hypothetically, if they get a $150,000 guarantee for a show (which seems low for Stevie Nicks and Crowded House in New Zealand), can do ten shows (four in Auckland, two everywhere else), and it costs $50,000 for a round trip (random high number), they’d still make more than enough to justify it. Stevie wouldn’t be bringing her crew, and the musicians would probably use backline equipment, save for guitars and a snare/random percussion.
I seriously doubt if $tevie Nicks would wipe her own ass for 150k. If $he can still reach it...
Old 03-08-2021, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I seriously doubt if $tevie Nicks would wipe her own ass for 150k. If $he can still reach it...
To be fair, I did say it seemed low.

I agree that it’s probably way more, but even for that, it would be worth it to her, especially after over a year and a half of not performing.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-08-2021, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Old 03-09-2021, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't want Lindsey to go back. Mick and Stevie make me sick. The thought of him going to back to those no-talent hacks is terrible.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I don't want Lindsey to go back. Mick and Stevie make me sick. The thought of him going to back to those no-talent hacks is terrible.
I agree 100%. Mick let $tevie RUIN the band. It's over. If they ever hold hands and kiss again on stage, I hope lightning strikes them both.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
If they ever hold hands and kiss again on stage, I hope lightning strikes them both.
maybe once, maybe twice..
Old 03-09-2021, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chain View Post
maybe once, maybe twice..
Twice to make certain the job is done properly.