Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-18-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I do. If you keep yourself in a silo of music (Stevie, Sheryl, Madonna) which is mostly consumed by white people, you'll believe Stevie is the Queen of Rock. Whereas, people who listen to Black Artists (i.e. Lizzo and Beyonce) will tell you Tina Turner is the Queen of Rock. She had more hits than Stevie, much bigger tours, and her influence is seen in Janet, Beyonce, Lizzo, Britney and so many others.

And don't get me started on how the Hall has cheated Cher. Sonny and Cher should have been in the Hall moons ago and Cher should have been inducted twice after Tina. Diana, Cher, and Carole King should have been inducted twice before Stevie. Again, Cher isn't even inducted.

Stevie has Irving, who got himself inducted, and with Irving's friendship she had Jon Landau to help who is the biggest player at the Rock Hall.
Can you imagine, Emerson Lake And Palmer are not in the Rock and Roll Hall? It's really a weird place, IMO. And I agree with your Tina take.
Old 05-18-2023, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Can you imagine, Emerson Lake And Palmer are not in the Rock and Roll Hall? It's really a weird place, IMO. And I agree with your Tina take.
That is effed up. Also B-52s and Mary J Blige. But yea let's Soak Up the Sun with Sheryl Crow!
Old 05-19-2023, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just watched a video of the knoxville show. She has no range on Outside The Rain, yet goes for the higher notes in Dreams. Very weird. Outside The Rain barely even sounded like her.
Old 05-19-2023, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Just watched a video of the knoxville show. She has no range on Outside The Rain, yet goes for the higher notes in Dreams. Very weird. Outside The Rain barely even sounded like her.
I watched Gypsy from Raleigh and it was just sadly painful. The way she sings/says the words is just bizarre. Her range is limited but the way she annunciates things is so weird.
Old 05-19-2023, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I cannot deny this

Do you really think her induction kept Tina or Diana out, though? They weren’t even nominated, were they? And they can still get in. From what I read recently in a book about Diana Ross and the Supremes, it sounds like Diana may have burnt some bridges and good will with regards to what she did to Florence Ballard, her Central Park concert, and the fiasco with the Supremes reunion tour. But she’ll still get in.

I’m more frustrated Cyndi Lauper didn’t get in this year. The Go-Go’s were kept out year after year until the recent documentary that showed how innovative they really were. I’m sure Tina and Diana will be allowed in, even though I fondly remember when someone here said Stevie shouldn’t have been inducted because she doesn’t play an instrument, yet they had no problem with the Supremes being in, even though they didn’t play instruments, either.

Tina was inducted in 2021.

The problem I have with Stevie's induction is not so much that she got in, but more the fact that Female artists who were / are much more successful than her either haven't been inducted yet, or were inducted after her.

Stevie's solo career is a mixed bag. Her first album went number 1 and subsequent records sold well and all had hit singles ( though each album that followed the last sold less and less). By the 90's Stevie was as bad as Pat Benatar, Cyndi Lauper in that she wasn't having hits and she wasn't selling albums anymore as well as having to play some smaller venues.

She had a career resurgence thanks to the Dance but even with that none of her recent studio albums have sold even close to what her 80's output did.

When she took the stage they were playing Rhiannon which isn't even a solo song and that makes me think the board who decided to vote her in didn't even really know her music.

Tina Turner has consistently played Arena's and Stadiums since her Private Dancer comeback and at one point she had a record for the largest crowd ever at a single concert. She also had a record for having sold the most concert tickets of any female artist.

Cyndi Lauper was the first female to have 5 singles in a row make the top 5 and in total out of x number of singles that she's charted she had 2 number 1's.

Pat was the first woman to sell out MSG.

I can't help but think Stevie was put in by Irving to stick it to Lindsey.

As for her voice I would argue it's hit and miss. It's not what it was for sure but it's ok. It seems to vary from tour to tour. Some tours it is very nasal and others it isn't as bad.

Personally I don't get why she'd rather do the oldies tour vs making new music or finishing any of the other projects she has mentioned.
Old 05-19-2023, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks Fan View Post

Personally I don't get why she'd rather do the oldies tour vs making new music or finishing any of the other projects she has mentioned.
Money. Money. Money.
Old 05-19-2023, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks Fan View Post
Even though she said she doesn't care if anyone buys her new albums, she does care about the sales.

She'd rather play a cover of The Buffalo Springfield than her most recently written song which she said is as good as Edge of Seventeen.
Old 05-20-2023, 06:07 AM
Ledgie

Some of y’all should be studied.

https://americansongwriter.com/tina-...ame-induction/

Tina Turner has been inducted twice. And rightfully so.
Old 05-20-2023, 06:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyourownway View Post

Yes, but what people are complaining about is that Stevie was the first woman to be inducted twice, and that just wasn’t fair. Tina and Diana should have been inducted twice BEFORE Stevie. To me, it doesn’t matter when or in what order folks are inducted, as long as they are inducted.
Old 05-20-2023, 07:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, but what people are complaining about is that Stevie was the first woman to be inducted twice, and that just wasn’t fair. Tina and Diana should have been inducted twice BEFORE Stevie. To me, it doesn’t matter when or in what order folks are inducted, as long as they are inducted.
Why shouldn't women of color have the honor of being first inducted over a privileged white person?
Old 05-20-2023, 07:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyourownway View Post

Good reading comprehension!
Old 05-20-2023, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Why shouldn't women of color have the honor of being first inducted over a privileged white person?
No reason. A couple of things though- I think Stevie’s people pushed harder for her induction than Tina or Diana’s people. Also, the RRHOF almost always inducts people who had a recent ‘success,’ and that year, Stevie had just come off a surprisingly successful tour, a concert film documenting said tour, and started another huge tour with Fleetwood Mac. The Go-Go’s had been nominated several times, but only inducted after a successful documentary was released that year. They even acknowledged if it hadn’t been for the publicity from the movie, they wouldn’t have been inducted.

The good news about having more women in the RRHOF is that they now can vote, so hopefully that will help with including more diversity. But they have to vote! The Go-Go’s have already said they intend to vote every year, because they feel women are underrepresented in the RRHOF. Hopefully, Diana and Tina are voting as well, and presumably for more POC.
Old 05-20-2023, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No reason. A couple of things though- I think Stevie’s people pushed harder for her induction than Tina or Diana’s people. Also, the RRHOF almost always inducts people who had a recent ‘success,’ and that year, Stevie had just come off a surprisingly successful tour, a concert film documenting said tour, and started another huge tour with Fleetwood Mac. The Go-Go’s had been nominated several times, but only inducted after a successful documentary was released that year. They even acknowledged if it hadn’t been for the publicity from the movie, they wouldn’t have been inducted.

The good news about having more women in the RRHOF is that they now can vote, so hopefully that will help with including more diversity. But they have to vote! The Go-GoÂ’s have already said they intend to vote every year, because they feel women are underrepresented in the RRHOF. Hopefully, Diana and Tina are voting as well, and presumably for more POC.
I didn't know you had to push yourself to get in... isn't that corruption? You "pay" your way in.

The Concert Film of the 24 Karat Gold Tour came out almost 2 years after Stevie's induction. Also, her 2018 tour with Fleetwood Mac should have nothing to do with being inducted as a solo artist. Bringing that up makes the argument that she was inducted for being Stevie Nicks the persona rather than Stevie Nicks the artist with 8 albums. Also Tina had a box office smash West End Musical and Broadway musical in 2018 and 2019. Is that a recent success? Where's the musical about Stevie?

I believe Stevie should be in the Rock Hall for her solo albums, videos, and solo tours. But again, Tina paved the way for women to walk away from a band. And Tina didn't have the help that Stevie had to start a solo career. Tina had nothing when she left Ike and Tina. Have you watched HBO's Tina? It'll have you in tears. And I reject that Tina Turner has to push to get inducted. Tina's impact on music and rock and roll has been whitewashed by people like Irving Azoff and the white ruling class of the entertainment industry. Another classic example of a white woman in music standing on the shoulders of a Black Trailblazing Woman. Thank God Carole King had the moral conscience to say Aretha opened the door for women to be inducted into the Rock Hall. Stevie did not mention the women who paved the way for her. Only that she told HAIM members to make a solo album so they could be inducted into the Hall. It's as Christine said to RollingStone - Stevie is self-obsessed.

Tina, Diana, Carole have been recognized by Presidents with the Kennedy Center Honors or the Gershwin Prize yet they were inducted (for the second time) after Stevie, or not as a solo artist in Diana's case.

Last edited by UnwindedDreams; 05-20-2023 at 09:41 AM..
Old 05-20-2023, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

People pay for nearly every kind of award, sadly (just ask meghan markle.)

Academy Awards are effectively bought and paid for-- studios do a whole marketing campaign, sending freebies to academy voters, lavish lunches, wining and dining, expensive media ad campaigns. Grammys no different. It's all managers and publicists pulling strings and schmoozing the right people. It's where Stevie was always smarter than Lindsey in that she was more than willing to play the game and to align herself with the most influential people. Plus early on she got a good tutoring on all that from Henley, according to her. Once she figured out you hire the biggest pitbulls to do your dirty work for you so you can feign innocence, she was set. Remember, she gets the presidential suite because "I demand it"

Does it mean legitimately deserving people don't win awards? No. But it does mean not-so-deserving people win a lot of things that they wouldn't have based on merit alone.
Old 05-20-2023, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
People pay for nearly every kind of award, sadly (just ask meghan markle.)
What was that? Is this The Award she was given by Steinem?