Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-17-2023, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
it's interesting that you say this - i was not either FM or LB fan at the time, but i heard Peacekeeper on the radio while driving my car tons at the time, and liked it, and knew that's from a new album. that was the only song i heard on the radio from SYW.

i have no idea which station i was listening to at the time.
I heard Peacekeeper at the time of release too. A lot. Los Angeles radio.

I remember because I didn't like it. And not because Christine wasn't on it. It's just boring. Like Lay Down For Free is boring. Like WTWCT is boring. (love you Elle!)

When I bought the album, Come was my favorite song. I think it's brilliant.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 04-17-2023 at 07:14 PM..
Old 04-17-2023, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
I have to say I have no idea when or where Goodbye Baby or Say You Will were played in Friends. I don’t recall either.
Goodbye Baby was on the last episode. Someone above said they’d heard SYW earlier that season, too.
Old 04-17-2023, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I heard Peacekeeper at the time of release too. A lot. Los Angeles radio.

I remember because I didn't like it. And not because Christine wasn't on it. It's just boring.
Lindsey's original solo version was great.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
• The Fan Club fiasco...need I say more.
Which one?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-18-2023, 01:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember how thrilled I was the day the album came out. I haven't anticipated anything as much before or since. Unfortunately, the SYW hasn't had the staying power that other FM albums have had for me.

I've been listening to all of the FM albums the past several weeks and it just feels off compared to the majority of the band's catalogue. Maybe it's the passage of time and all of the events that have happened in those 20 years? The entire album just feels weak to me now. Of everything Lindsey's done between then and now, it's definitely his worst work IMO and Freedom was Stevie's last great song. For me, the four songs from the EP were stronger than everything combined on Say You Will.

The only thing sadder is the even more lackluster Live In Boston release. Bad enough that they couldn't put it on a single DVD but the CD only had 10 songs. I guess disappointment is just part of the legacy of Fleetwood Mac.
Old 04-18-2023, 06:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I didn't know this. I remember that "Goodbye Baby" was featured in the final episode.
Maybe I’ve got my songs mixed up and it was Goodbye Baby, it’s been a long time since I’ve thought about these details lol.
Old 04-18-2023, 06:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
I remember how thrilled I was the day the album came out. I haven't anticipated anything as much before or since. Unfortunately, the SYW hasn't had the staying power that other FM albums have had for me.

I've been listening to all of the FM albums the past several weeks and it just feels off compared to the majority of the band's catalogue. Maybe it's the passage of time and all of the events that have happened in those 20 years? The entire album just feels weak to me now. Of everything Lindsey's done between then and now, it's definitely his worst work IMO and Freedom was Stevie's last great song. For me, the four songs from the EP were stronger than everything combined on Say You Will.

The only thing sadder is the even more lackluster Live In Boston release. Bad enough that they couldn't put it on a single DVD but the CD only had 10 songs. I guess disappointment is just part of the legacy of Fleetwood Mac.
Yeah the DVD part is great, but that half-a$$ed audio CD is a weird mix of songs.

I do remember some details about the taping of that show. If my memory is correct, they re-shot some songs for close ups either after the concert was over or the day before/after - but it wasn’t in front of a full arena. They only had several rows of floor seats filled with people.
Old 04-18-2023, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Lindsey's original solo version was great.
I've heard that from someone else. I'll have to check out his solo version.
Old 04-18-2023, 06:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a new appreciation for the album since I heard the vinyl release. The mix is still quite compressed, but the vinyl sounds better IMO. The layering in thrown down never gets old. I’m still not a fan of Illume and Smile At You. There’s odd tape hiss on Goodbye Baby that drives me to distraction. The version on the Destiny Rules doc is far superior.
Old 04-18-2023, 06:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

A lot of reviews that were favorable, still described it as unbalanced and that’s probably the best term for the album. I think 18 tracks is hard to balance between two songwriters. There’s a much stronger 12 track album in that group of songs. There’s a really cool radio edit of Say You Will that should have been the mix used on the album.

Last edited by BigAl84; 04-18-2023 at 07:03 AM..
Old 04-18-2023, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Which one?
Right!? wow...so much was promised with that fan club and next to nothing actually happened. I paid face value for a 15th row ticket and it was a better seat than what was being reserved for fan club members.

Weekly behind the scenes video clips turned out to be two clips of Mick on his treadmill....

It was peak era "Mick the Grifter"
Old 04-18-2023, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Goodbye Baby was on the last episode. Someone above said they’d heard SYW earlier that season, too.
It was Thrown Down. And it was on the one where Joey and Rachel go to a party and Joey was going to ask Rachel out because he was in love with her or something. It was during that weird time that they were trying to make Joey and Rachel a Thing and it wasn’t working
Old 04-18-2023, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
1. SYW should have been recorded and released in the late 90s, soon after The Dance

4. Lindsey's known procrastination did not help (recall, he had a solo album done in like 1997-8 but only presented it to the label in 2001!)

so it comes down to who is better at business and marketing in the band, and what are their goals.
Hindsight being 20/20, when Christine made it known that The Dance would be her last project with Fleetwood Mac, which she said was when they were still negotiating the reunion, Lindsey, Mick, and John should have formed an offshoot and had the album ready to go for when the tour ended, because Christine refusing to extend the tour was completely predictable.

The album should have either come out in early November or around the Hall of Fame induction followed by a February-April tours of Europe and Oceana and Japan. Then, do a US tour just prior to Memorial Day to the Fourth of July weekend. Take a paternity break and resume for another North American leg from September through December.

Ride the immediate coattails of The Dance and be the de facto Fleetwood Mac tour for outside of North America.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-18-2023, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow, so Throw Down, plus SYW, plus Goodbye Baby were all featured on Friends? All three Stevie songs, too. I'm guessing that was the work of Azoff.
Say You Will was That 70s Show not friends

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-18-2023, 04:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Does anyone know what the 'original' double album tracklisting was that caused all the fracas?