User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-10-2023, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I wish we still could get the context of that photo of Stevie on stage with her in Nashville posted here years ago.

A few interesting tid bits in her repeatedly referring to Stevie not being well. Was the band just making time (pardon the pun) until Stevie was well enough to come back. Was the Dance delayed because of Stevie's well being?
I was curious about that picture, too. As far as Stevie not being well at that time, I think that was BS that Mick may have told Bekka. I’m sure Mick always held out hope that Stevie, and maybe Lindsey, would return to FM at some point, so what better way to cover his bases than to tell Bekka “of course you’re a member of FM…. at least until Stevie returns.” I don’t recall anyone here ever saying Stevie wasn’t well during that period. She left FM because BTM didn’t sell like gangbusters and she was mad at Mick about his book and Silver Springs. It wasn’t “I’m sick and need time off to rest.”[/QUOTE]

I was assuming this was about her getting off Klonopin....
Old 03-10-2023, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Exactly. That's some Stevie Nicks School of Mathematics stuff.

I'm sure it felt like 4 years, though.
I got the sense Bekka was remembering the exact words Richard said, but that he said them as hyperbole. She rambles a lot and some context gets lost for sure. Or: maybe she stinks at math!

Last edited by aleuzzi; 03-10-2023 at 02:27 PM..
Old 03-10-2023, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My overall impression is that Bekka is an authentic person—an honest, often messy, sometimes dysfunctional person. I believe what she says about Mick, Billy, Christine, and Stevie. And I believe that her impression of Bob Welch at that time is accurate.

The Jani story was brutal. In fact, Bekka can claim to have lived through and witnessed some pretty rough times.

Belinda Carlisle as a mean girl—I’m not surprised. Pat and Neil as down-to-earth and warm. No surprises there, either.

I felt her sadness when she quietly confirmed that she lost the house. How devastated she must have felt.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

This interview has me so fascinated with Bekka. I hope she does write a book because her life is pretty amazing.

Every time you think you have read about Mick reaching a new low, something like this comes out and there is another new low. Mick is only loyal to money. Mick hired Bekka on a whim and then fired her on a whim when more money was at stake. Sort of reminds me of what he did to Lindsey. Fired for no reason but a lame one is given. This interview has my interest in Bekka to go back and give all her stuff a new listen. Her life is fascinating. Its sort of sad as talented as she is, she had such disrespect from the bands and people she has worked with.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:24 PM

Thanks for posting. Great interview! I really enjoy Bekka.

How is anyone surprised Christine acted with graciousness and encouragement and goat was a Nasty jealous goat?

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 03-10-2023 at 07:27 PM..
Old 03-10-2023, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I got the sense Bekka was remembering the exact words Richard said, but that he said them as hyperbole. She rambles a lot and some context gets lost for sure. Or: maybe she stinks at math!
She mentioned being the 13th member of FM which she wasn't. At best she would have been number 15 to that point. She probably didn't know Bob Brunning was the original bassist and forgot about Dave Walker or Bob Weston. It's a minor nitpick though.

This article was reaffirmation for me why I love Bekka. Of everyone who's been in the band, she's probably the most genuine, authentic and down to earth. I don't see how anyone could read this article and end up not liking her.

Stevie's comments about Bekka "oversinging" are obviously laughable and quite rich considering the source. Her REO Speedwagon comment may have been out of pocket but at the same time, I can't blame her. Who wants to be around constant in-fighting and nit-picking all the time especially when you're going on stage night after night. It has to be draining for someone like her who is so energetic when performing.

I'm so glad that like Billy, Bekka has a very positive perspective about her time in Fleetwood Mac when I think most people wouldn't had they faced similar criticism and been treated the same way. I really hope she can get some more music out. She has to have enough connections in Nashville for someone to release her material on an independent label.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My overall impression is that Bekka is an authentic person—an honest, often messy, sometimes dysfunctional person.
Totally agree. She has a lot of personality. I can see how she would be center stage.

Sometimes I had to read what she was saying three or four times to try to get what she was saying. You sort of have to connect the dots yourself. Like when she said Christine "wasn't a huge, huge gal." I'm guessing that means she was somewhat aloof towards other women for the most part?

She mentions moving to Nashville on August 30, 1996. Would that have been to move into her newly-bought house, or moving away from her newly-lost home? The timing is a bit confusing because she makes it sounds like CNN announced the reformation of the Rumours lineup "within 10 days" of the outburst on the tour bus. I thought they last toured in 1995? CNN wouldn't have been announcing such a thing that early.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
She mentioned being the 13th member of FM which she wasn't. At best she would have been number 15 to that point. She probably didn't know Bob Brunning was the original bassist and forgot about Dave Walker or Bob Weston. It's a minor nitpick though.
I think Bekka might have meant she was part of the 13th incarnation (she says entity) of Fleetwood Mac, which is arguably correct if you count the brief Peter-Christine-Danny-John-Mick touring group as a separate line-up after Jeremy left and before Bob Welch joined. Bekka has an amusing, endearing, and occasionally rather haphazard way of speaking, doesn't she? I wish she would drop by here, like Jeremy and Bob Welch used to do.

Last edited by Mr Scarrott; 03-10-2023 at 07:57 PM..
Old 03-10-2023, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Every time you think you have read about Mick reaching a new low, something like this comes out and there is another new low. Mick is only loyal to money. Mick hired Bekka on a whim and then fired her on a whim when more money was at stake. Sort of reminds me of what he did to Lindsey. Fired for no reason but a lame one is given. This interview has my interest in Bekka to go back and give all her stuff a new listen. Her life is fascinating. Its sort of sad as talented as she is, she had such disrespect from the bands and people she has worked with.
I can’t fault Mick for what he did- he had the choice of sticking with Billy, Bekka, and Dave, or reuniting with Stevie, Christine, and Lindsey. I mean, that was a no-brainer! But I do fault him for the horrific manner in which he broke the news to Bekka that she was being fired. A nasty fax is a horrible way to tell someone they’ve been fired.
Old 03-11-2023, 01:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
I think Bekka might have meant she was part of the 13th incarnation (she says entity) of Fleetwood Mac, which is arguably correct if you count the brief Peter-Christine-Danny-John-Mick touring group as a separate line-up after Jeremy left and before Bob Welch joined. Bekka has an amusing, endearing, and occasionally rather haphazard way of speaking, doesn't she? I wish she would drop by here, like Jeremy and Bob Welch used to do.
Yes, this is what I thought, too.
Old 03-11-2023, 02:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, this is what I thought, too.
Yeah, me too. I read it as "the 13th LINE UP" of the band.
Old 03-11-2023, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I view Time as the fourth Christine McVie solo record (even if it’s only an EP). The fact that we got five new solid Chris songs more than justifies its existence — and honestly, her creative output is probably the only reason it happened at all, since the other writers were either not particularly prolific (Burnette, Bramlett) or were running on fumes (Mason). (I do have a soft spot for “Winds of Change,” which of course is by an outside writer.)

I appreciate that Bekka did this interview; it really fills in some blanks from this period in the band’s history!
Old 03-11-2023, 11:19 AM
Senior Ledgie

I’ll admit that I’ve listened to the Bekka era FM stuff less than a dozen times over the years but I love her as a singer and performer. I always think that she was just a bit off with her timing — a few years later, maybe she could have been a Natalie Maines or Carrie Underwood. Though Bekka has a plenty interesting career just as she is.

I have to say the snapshots we got of the band members track to me. Chris being lovely and generous about her music, commending Bekka on her judgment in avoiding Stevie songs, and Stevie being rude and jealous of anyone who got even a sliver of “her” spotlight. I was a little surprised about the Mick/John sniping but they are like brothers and were drinking so….

Mick strikes me as someone who is so personally charming and able to bring people together that his lapses into selfishness are forgiven by those around him. The way he fired Bekka was awful. And it’s exactly what he did when Lindsey left/was fired — he won’t be the bad guy so he blames the person who left and drags them. Stevie is just like Mick too — she has spent a lifetime charming people into doing stuff for her and putting them down mercilessly when she’s finished using them.

Also the benefit of hindsight shows that, despite the emotional drivel they sold in the promotion of it, The Dance was a management driven money grab like The Classic shows were and like the last tour with Campbell/Finn was. In some ways, the Time band was the last time they weren’t doing it only for the money.
Old 03-11-2023, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Thats for sure. Its always fascinating that even Lindsey came around to these cash grab tours since he always held his ground for doing something different or against the grain vs embracing every drop of the commercial aspect touring.
Part of me admires Mick for continuing on with the band. Lindsey, Chris, and Stevie did not want to join so he found other ways go to on. He looks back out of legacy and thinks it was wrong i.e. to sit around and wait for a reunion and big bucks. But in 1993 and 1994 there was no chance a reunion was in the mix. Stevie almost quit the business because of her flop album and comments on her weight. So at the time, I can see why Mick wanted to "play on."
Ironically, the Dance money machine is what facilitated Mick and his firing of Lindsey. The big money machine counts more than anything.
Old 03-11-2023, 08:56 PM
Senior Ledgie

I think the thing to remember with Lindsey is that he’s not a purist really. He helped shape the commercial Mac sound and was happy to play those songs and make money from touring. In a way, I think his ideal FM would be one where he worked with SN and CM on their songs and then had his own songs on studio albums with them. Basically like Tusk, and then they would do live shows that would rely mostly on their hits.

The thing that was harder for him to accept was not having any new studio product and then just playing a mostly oldies set. But even that he tolerated for almost 15 years between SYW and the EP (and LB/CM), because he did enjoy playing the hits in front of big crowds and making big bucks. And he seems to have accepted that the FM part of things wouldn’t include new studio albums by the time they put out LB/CM, but by then Stevie was probably already of a mind to push him out.