User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-17-2022, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Exclamation Discussing Behind The Mask

I really loved this. This is one time that I agree with most of the panel most of the time. Jeremy, you are hysterical. I seriously think you could develop a stand up act with your Stevieisms. Your imitations of her are fall out of the chair funny
Here is the surprise. While many dont care for this album, song by song people really like the songs. It is very cohesive with all members appearing on everyone's else's song. I agree that Stevie's voice is almost used as an instrument at times on this album. I also agree with you Jeremy that No Questions Asked and Affairs of the Heart has a college rock radio sound. I think if you could cut Hard Feelings and Affairs of the Heart and add As Long As You Follow and No Questions Asked would improve the album.
I love the love for In The Back Of My Mind in this segment. Chris is on fire on this album. Her playing is back which was nonexistent on Tango. I am in the minority but I love the album cover. Its very deep almost like Mystery To Me. It makes you think and analyze. I was surprised the panel did not like Love Is Dangerous more. While true the song needs a hook and has a pretty lame chorus, its very rare for Stevie to be part of a bluesy rocker which is really cool.
I was surprised at the love for Second Time Around. Fleetwood Mac was transforming from a current band to a legacy band yet I dont think they knew it at the time.

Thank you for these. Looking forward to the Chris solo albums!

Everyone check it out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm55x28ScPc&t=63s

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-17-2022 at 05:19 PM..
Old 12-17-2022, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I loved every discussion so far, but this one is rough. I got to the 30 minute mark and had to take a break. Quite a bit of rambling and difficulty staying on topic. I’ll continue to listen to it but it’s probably going to take me a while and I’m surprised, because BTM is one of my favorite FM albums, and Christine was such an important part of BTM, I guess I was hoping for a more serious discussion.

I totally agree with whoever said that the album cover would have been better if the actual members had posed the same way the people are posed on the cover. Talk about an intriguing idea!

I was surprised no one seemed to understand the album format- my memories of the album were that all copies of the first printing had the CD+G capability- Compact Disc+Graphics. Only later printings didn’t include the capability, but if you went to the store and bought the CD the first few months it was released, they were all CD+G, whether you wanted it or not. The cost was the same. And it worked on a PC, not a TV. Not a big deal at all, in fact it was kind of interesting that FM was a part of that experiment, although I’m sure the band had no say in the matter.

I wish they had actually spoken about As Long As You Follow, but Jeremy seemed anxious to move on to No Questions Asked. I was surprised no one mentioned that Paper Doll was supposed to have been on the Greatest Hits album, but was swapped for NQA instead. And no mention of the incredible guitar work by Rick Vito?!? WTF? How do you talk about that song and NOT mention it? I liked the descriptions of the song as rambling, unfinished, etc. I agree it sounds rambling, but that’s part of the appeal, for me. It’s all over the place.

Edit: So I got a chance to listen to more of the episode and I was very happy to see that once they started talking about the actual songs, rather than the album as a whole, it was so much more interesting and focused. Much more of what I was hoping to see in the first place. Roland gets the MVP award for his comments about Love is Like a River- man, did he nail those lyrics!

I can’t believe most of the panel had a hard time differentiating between Billy and Rick! They sound very, very different to me. I mean, maybe not as vocally different as Christine and Stevie LOL but still very different. Comparing Love is Dangerous to In the Back of My Mind alone shows how different their voices are, and those are songs 2 and 3! So right from the get go, we get a feel for their voices and style. Too funny.

Last edited by bwboy; 12-18-2022 at 08:05 AM..
Old 12-21-2022, 06:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Another funny moment was when the panel said the Save Me video reminded them of Heart's videos of the 80s. Only Stevie's face was shown with darkness all around and would come and go on the screen.

Its a little long but worth it. Every one of these segments does have rambling. Its something you have to have time for to enjoy.

BTM is an album that when you play or review song by song, they are not bad songs. Yet for some reason the album is considered meh. Chris's songs are fine. Billy's Do You Know and In The Back of My mind are fine. I would scrap Billy's Hard feelings, Stevie's Affair of the Heart and Second Time and given Stevie 4 songs. Maybe she had a good one in the wings. But as the panel says, Stevie always has these closing songs like Jane, Blue Eyes, HAEWAFY, Beauty and The Beast, etc. Second Time was in that mold as an album closer.
The album may not have fit with the times of 1990 (You Cant Touch This) but it definitely holds up over time.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-21-2022 at 06:48 AM..
Old 12-24-2022, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just read the original CD was encoded with the CD+G format, which allows graphics to be shown on a TV screen in time with the music, such as pictures and lyrics. Probably this was discussed in the past, I don't remember. So I ask Does anybody watch those? What pics were included?
Old 12-24-2022, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I just read the original CD was encoded with the CD+G format, which allows graphics to be shown on a TV screen in time with the music, such as pictures and lyrics. Probably this was discussed in the past, I don't remember. So I ask Does anybody watch those? What pics were included?
I could never get them to play on any device.
Old 12-24-2022, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I last saw the pictures in 1991 or so, so I can’t remember specific photos. The pictures from the CD liner notes of the band, the rest were just visuals, like a screen saver. The lyrics were shown for each song. It was a nice little bonus, but nothing really cool. It played on my computer. Sorry I couldn’t be more descriptive.
Old 12-24-2022, 11:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A full playlist of the CD+G is on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...lsRJynkvJvvM27