Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Illume, alternative version

http://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...Y10ZX8XO3BN16D
Old 03-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Something is awry here...I got some song called New York by Richard Ashcroft.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Senior Ledgie

yeah, The riff and the melody between those too songs hauntingly similar

Kind of disapointed at Stevie.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:06 AM
Senior Ledgie

Wondered if it was just sheer coincidence? Ashcroft released this song in 2000 - and Stevie wrote Illume in 2001 after 911. I mean...do you think she's ever heard of or listened to Richard Ashcroft?

It is quite startling - the songs are very similar.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Senior Ledgie

Richard Ashcroft comes from the same small town I come from "Wigan" here in the UK. I've even met the guy.

He's well known here in the UK and his band the Verve where one of the biggest bands of the 90's. Will probably recognise the song bellow by the
Verve.

http://s17.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...R29FNJVDBAGUAO

His solo stuff for example, "new york" has never been as big but hes still well known here. I have no idea of his sucesses elese where, like the states but I predict it's not very big. I'm actually a big fan of his. I've never really read of what modern music Stevie is into so I don't know if shes heard of them.

I'm just dissapointed because I really love Illume and wouldn't want to think Stevie just pinched it like that, especailly how she connects such a deep meaning like 9/11 to it. You think it's a coinsidence?
Old 03-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd heard that the two songs were very similar but that's astonishing.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Senior Ledgie

Theres on little differences between the bassline, riff and melody.

It's just disapointing when you think Stevie sat there and wrote it with 9/11 in mind saything things like: http://www.inherownwords.com/illume.htm
Old 03-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Illume isn't the only thing they ripped of Richard A. Say You Will is very familiar to his song, Cmon People....which I like a lot better.

I'll post the song.

Edit: Here it is http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...G3BVADTPFVPVIB

Last edited by ontheEdgeof17; 03-03-2006 at 11:56 AM..
Old 03-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBanks147
Theres on little differences between the bassline, riff and melody.

It's just disapointing when you think Stevie sat there and wrote it with 9/11 in mind saything things like: http://www.inherownwords.com/illume.htm
What makes you think the ripoff was totally Stevie's fault? She doesn't write bass lines, riffs, or much (if anything) having to do with orchestration or arrangement -- all the elements that resemble the Ashcroft song.

We'd have to hear a pre-Buckingham demo of "Illume" to know just how much of the vocal melody & basic chord progression was even hers (both of which elements are very unusual for her).

To me, it's a case of Fleetwood Mac near-plagiarism, not Stevie Nicks near-plagiarism (although she's not free from blame because she's in Fleetwood Mac & certainly had something to do with the copying).
Old 03-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
Illume isn't the only thing they ripped of Richard A. Say You Will is very familiar to his song, Cmon People....which I like a lot better.

I'll post the song.

Edit: Here it is http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...G3BVADTPFVPVIB
That's amazing! It's the same chord progression on the verses with the same count, even a strikingly similar guitar riff. The chorus of "Say You Will" veers off into its own direction (with an ascending scale in F), but those choruses are copied!

Obviously, Lindsey or Mark or or Mick or somebody was listening to the Ashcroft album very adoringly.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
What makes you think the ripoff was totally Stevie's fault? She doesn't write bass lines, riffs, or much (if anything) having to do with orchestration or arrangement -- all the elements that resemble the Ashcroft song.

We'd have to hear a pre-Buckingham demo of "Illume" to know just how much of the vocal melody & basic chord progression was even hers (both of which elements are very unusual for her).

To me, it's a case of Fleetwood Mac near-plagiarism, not Stevie Nicks near-plagiarism (although she's not free from blame because she's in Fleetwood Mac & certainly had something to do with the copying).
I was about to say exactly this. I'm not totally shocked though. There's a site (can't think of the name of it) that talks about this, along with similarities from Angel, Say You Will and something else to other songs.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

I guess Stevie was just listening to Richard Ashcroft a lot at the time. The melodys not really pinched on that one just the guitar it would seem.

What are peoples opinion of Richard and the Verve here on the Ledge? I personally love them. is he evenwell known in the part of the world you live?

His new song is incredible his voice is one of the best male voices I've heard.What you think?

http://s11.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...J0UFHV8W9ONK05

Old 03-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

I really don't hear much of SYW on "C'Mon People"....but I will say - I'm really getting turned on to Richard Ashcroft. Nice, pop melodies and very Buckingham-esque in production...
Old 03-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David

I an see Lindsey listening to Richard more than Stevie and I hope thats the case rather than Stevie writing the lyrics to fit the song.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots
I really don't hear much of SYW on "C'Mon People"....but I will say - I'm really getting turned on to Richard Ashcroft. Nice, pop melodies and very Buckingham-esque in production...
Just a question, had you heard of/listened to richard Ashcroft before this thread? I'm just wondering of his popularity elsewhere.

I have quite a few of his solo albums and verve albums so if you want I can upload quite a few of the songs that will give you a broad view of his career.