Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-06-2024, 08:36 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default 31 Years Ago...

On February 6, 1993, Fleetwood Mac's "Paper Doll" and Lindsey Buckingham's "Soul Drifter" hit their peak positions on the Canadian Top 100, reaching number 9 and number 31 respectively. Interestingly, neither of them made a dent on the US Billboard Hot 100, although they did appear on some of Billboard's composite charts.

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discov...nlc008388.1736
Old 02-06-2024, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It amazes me that Paper Doll charted anywhere, let alone the top 10 in Canada. I like the song, but freely admit if it had been recorded by anyone else, I would never listen to it again, and I completely understand why it barely made a blip in America. Especially compared to Love Shines and Heart of Stone. But Soul Drifter should have been a hit, or at least gotten more airplay than it did. I guess this is another example of how the name Fleetwood Mac automatically sells better than the individual members name.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
It amazes me that Paper Doll charted anywhere, let alone the top 10 in Canada. I like the song, but freely admit if it had been recorded by anyone else, I would never listen to it again, and I completely understand why it barely made a blip in America. Especially compared to Love Shines and Heart of Stone. But Soul Drifter should have been a hit, or at least gotten more airplay than it did. I guess this is another example of how the name Fleetwood Mac automatically sells better than the individual members name.
I completely agree. I don't usually listen Paper Doll and it's not in any of my playlists.

And OOTC has several songs, even beyond those released as singles, that could have achieved a good position.
Old 02-08-2024, 05:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Save Me barely cracked the top 40 in the states yet it was a top 10 song in Canada and Finland.
Canadians have a better taste in music.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Love Shines and Heart of Stone were amazing songs that should have been more appreciated by the listening public!! Paper Doll IMO seemed weak compared to them.

And I also agree Soul Drifter and several other LB songs should have been hits for him...

That whole album still really holds up so well.

--Lis