Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-16-2003, 08:37 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default DVD Audio Question?

How can I burn a copy of the Rumours DVD so I can have a version for my car cd player? I put it into my computer but it only plays the dvd-it won't copy the audio? Any suggestions? I have the Rumours cd, of course, but I wanna see how the Rumours DVD audio would sound.

THANKS!
Old 08-16-2003, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I haven't done this, so don't quote me... but I believe you have to connect the audio from an external DVD player, into your computer (you need the right jacks and soundcard for that), and rip it to your hard-drive that way.

Hopefully someone else will explain it better than I can (or correct what I've suggested).
Perhaps Brian (estranged4life), or John (jwys_soapbox)?
Old 08-16-2003, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up The way I am able...

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
I haven't done this, so don't quote me... but I believe you have to connect the audio from an external DVD player, into your computer (you need the right jacks and soundcard for that), and rip it to your hard-drive that way.

Hopefully someone else will explain it better than I can (or correct what I've suggested).
Perhaps Brian (estranged4life), or John (jwys_soapbox)?

to burn DVD to Cd is to use the external output of the DVD player and hook it directly into the input of my TDK dual burner system (I DO NOT use a PC writer for copying because they add noise to frequencies whereas a self-contained burner NEVER has to suffer that fate, Besides a PC writer tends to burn cd's at too fast a speed/rate that can cause errors on a cd-r. Anything over 4X speed is NOT recommended!!!) by using RCA cables/and or digital lines...You should be able to do the same on a PC, Hook the extrenal output from the DVD into the input of the CD writer.

I have to add the separation of tracks by hand on my system using the method I described but at least the disc ends up being burnt DAO (Disc-at-once or rather known as seamless...Meaning no gap between the songs) as opposed to TAO (Track-at-once or rather known as a 2-3 gap between songs...Think of it as stopping a cassette tape after a song has been recorded then adding a new another song afterwards.)

I have made mixes of the Rumours DVD by this method and the results are great!!

Brian j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 08-17-2003, 09:15 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Re: The way I am able...

Quote:
Originally posted by estranged4life
to burn DVD to Cd is to use the external output of the DVD player and hook it directly into the input of my TDK dual burner system (I DO NOT use a PC writer for copying because they add noise to frequencies whereas a self-contained burner NEVER has to suffer that fate, Besides a PC writer tends to burn cd's at too fast a speed/rate that can cause errors on a cd-r. Anything over 4X speed is NOT recommended!!!) by using RCA cables/and or digital lines...You should be able to do the same on a PC, Hook the extrenal output from the DVD into the input of the CD writer...
Brian j.
With this method, and please correct me if I am wrong, all you are doing is copying a downsampled 2 channel analog version of the Dolby Digital 5.1 surround version (your TDK dual dvd burner has L and R analog audio inputs). I've done basically the same copying audio tracks from the Dance DVD using the LPCM (stereo) side of the DVD instead of the Dolby Digital 5.1 surround side. If I remember correctly, DVD players will automatically downsample a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal to 2 channels on their analog outs (L and R).

There are 3 audio types on the Rumours DVD-A disc: (1) Advanced Resolution Surround (a.k.a DVD-Audio, which is not compressed) for which you need a dvd player that can decode DVD-A (6 channels at 96kHz/24bit in this case); (2) Advanced Resolution Stereo (2 channels) at 96kHz/24bit; and (3) Dolby Digital which is the standard audio compression method for DVD-Video and is sampled at 48kHz. There's about a 12:1 savings in bandwith with the compression. Dolby Digital encoded audio is generally 5.1 surround, but is also available in a 2 channel format. On the Rumours DVD, it's 5.1 surround.

Without getting into any detail, it's just not practical (and there may be some DMCA issues) at this point to try and copy DVD-A.

The same can be said for the 96kHz/24 bit stereo (digital) version. There are newer DVD players that can decode 96/24 stereo. However, in order to get it playable on a regular audio cd, it has to be downsampled to 44.1kHz/16bit which is the redbook cd audio spec. This results in a significant loss of audio quality.

With the Dolby Digital tracks, you can use the method Brian mentioned or the method of connecting the L and R analog outs of your dvd player to the L and R analog ins of your pc soundcard. What your getting is a downsampled 2 channel version of the Dolby Digital (5.1 surround) audio tracks which will result in a loss of audio quality but may be fine for your intended use.

Alternatively, you can rip the Dolby Digital files to your hard drive (note that there may be some DMCA issues). They'll show up with the extension of .ac3. This is probably the most common pc only method and there are a host of tutorials on the net for ripping audio (dolby digital, not DVD-Audio/DVD-A) from a dvd. Here again you're going to need to downsample the audio (to the correct frequency and also from 5.1 channels down to 2 channels) which will result in a loss of audio quality, but may be fine for your use.

Personally, I don't see the point of ripping/copying the dolby digital tracks to a regular audio cd unless the mix was somehow "rare". Regular audio cd's don't play in 5.1 channels and all you're doing is reducing the quality of an already compressed format. The remastered Rumours cd is supposed to come out later this year anyway.

Last edited by worldturning; 08-17-2003 at 09:55 AM..
Old 08-17-2003, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Re: Re: The way I am able...

Quote:
Originally posted by worldturning
With this method, and please correct me if I am wrong, all you are doing is copying a downsampled 2 channel analog version of the Dolby Digital 5.1 surround version (your TDK dual dvd burner has L and R analog audio inputs). I've done basically the same copying audio tracks from the Dance DVD using the LPCM (stereo) side of the DVD instead of the Dolby Digital 5.1 surround side. If I remember correctly, DVD players will automatically downsample a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal to 2 channels on their analog outs (L and R).
Thats exactly what is does, Just your basic run-of-the-mill 2 channel stereo version. The only way 5.1 works is if you use a 5.1 receiver and burn the separate channels indiviually, But then you just have a fragment of a song not the whole song (Beatle music collector's are experts at this...I have seen a bunch of the 5.1 mixes done of Beatles DVD's) but that result can sound very cool...

Personally, I enjoy using my DVD to mix down the regular cd releases moreso than any 5.1 disc...Look at the "unmixed" "Illume" & "Thrown Down" that are floating around in circulation, They sound exactly the same as the versions I burnt off the DVD player for my "Mono Mixes".

Quote:
The remastered Rumours cd is supposed to come out later this year anyway.
Hopefully, the FM remasters will be improved sonically unlike the official Beatles remasters were (I'm very skeptical of the FM remasters. Hell, I'm skeptical of any remastered release nowadays!!!)...Trust me, When certain remasters of the official Beatles albums such as the Dr.Ebbetts remasters, the Dr.Ebbett's MFSL remasters, the Mirror Spock remasters, the Millennium Remasters & the newer DLH's have better sonic quality than the official Apple/EMI releases ya know know something went wrong...I hope the same doesnt happen with the FM remasters!

Brian j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 08-17-2003, 08:23 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: The way I am able...

Quote:
Originally posted by estranged4life
Personally, I enjoy using my DVD to mix down the regular cd releases moreso than any 5.1 disc...Look at the "unmixed" "Illume" & "Thrown Down" that are floating around in circulation, They sound exactly the same as the versions I burnt off the DVD player for my "Mono Mixes".
Do you mean that you convert stereo to mono? As I said before, I don't see the point of downmixing dolby digital (5.1 surround) unless the mix was somehow rare at not available in stereo (or mono for that matter).

Quote:
Hopefully, the FM remasters will be improved sonically unlike the official Beatles remasters were (I'm very skeptical of the FM remasters. Hell, I'm skeptical of any remastered release nowadays!!!)...Trust me, When certain remasters of the official Beatles albums such as the Dr.Ebbetts remasters, the Dr.Ebbett's MFSL remasters, the Mirror Spock remasters, the Millennium Remasters & the newer DLH's have better sonic quality than the official Apple/EMI releases ya know know something went wrong...I hope the same doesnt happen with the FM remasters!
The state of some current remasters is another controversy. However, I've read some posts stating that Rhino is in charge of the upcoming FM remasters and Rhino in general has been doing a very good job with the other various remasters.