User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-24-2021, 07:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Default Silent Night

No Christmas eve on this board can be without Silent Night. Stevie recorded it in the summer of 1987. I think she was fresh from rehab and the klonopin haze was just beginning. Silent Night is a hard song to pull off because its been done so many times. IMHO she and Jimmy nailed this one. She puts her little stamp on it (well it was a silent night). It makes it unique to her. Adding Robbie Nevill was a great idea. Rewind time and he had a huge deubt album and was the hottest act in early 1987. He was supposed to have a huge career but it fizzled after his wild success in 1987. So when he recorded this with Stevie, he was the current big star.
Many times the Top of the Pops version gets played and by December 1987 klonopin was in full effect. Even her intro to the song you can see she is tranqulized. She does a fine job but its not as sharp as the original recording. I also hate that Debbie Gibson style hat she wore during that time on tour with the Mac.
Every Christmas I play this and I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Well it was a Silent Night BTW, this Xmas album is probably the best Xmas album recorded. The acts nailed every song. I love Bob Segar's Little Drummer boy.

Well it was a holy night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3PaV-48XpY
Old 12-24-2021, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't remember where, but there is a better version where she goes a little higher on "sleep in heavenly peace" which for my ears was way too low on the original- which was otherwise great.

Topic for another thread- Stevie's teaming up with the star of the moment usually comes in too late- Macy Gray, Bruce Hornsby and Rupert Wine, even Natalie Mains to a degree. It's her more obscure collaborations where she really shines, the best being Walter Egan where she sings so ridiculously good, it beats some of her Mac vocals. Also, her political subject songs are released years after the events- New Orleans etc.
Old 12-24-2021, 08:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
I can't remember where, but there is a better version where she goes a little higher on "sleep in heavenly peace" which for my ears was way too low on the original- which was otherwise great.

Topic for another thread- Stevie's teaming up with the star of the moment usually comes in too late- Macy Gray, Bruce Hornsby and Rupert Wine, even Natalie Mains to a degree. It's her more obscure collaborations where she really shines, the best being Walter Egan where she sings so ridiculously good, it beats some of her Mac vocals. Also, her political subject songs are released years after the events- New Orleans etc.
True. I have always said if Sometimes A Bitch was released one year earlier in 1988, it would have been a huge hit because of Bon Jovi. Bon Jovi had a big career after that but his limelight was huge 1986-1988 when he brought Cher back to the charts, etc. Her people wanted the Bon Jovi connection for current success but it was too late. Music was changing.
Bruce Hornsby was huge in 1988 but when her album came out in 1989, he was sort of washed up. Do you think by chance Stevie killed their career Hmmmmm

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-24-2021 at 09:08 AM..
Old 12-24-2021, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie posted this last year:
"I am bringing out one of my favorite things I have ever done (ever) because I think the world might need it. It is my “Silent Night” from 1987. I wrote the bridge in the middle of the song ~ and I really thought it made it more compassionate than it already was.

Please enjoy it and think of me as I will be thinking of you on this unusual Christmas.

​​It’s really just a love song.
​​Sing with me~

​​I will hear you…

​​​Love,
​​​ Your Stevie
​​​ Stevie Nicks"

How is Silent Night a love song? It's a worship of Jesus LOL!
Old 12-24-2021, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Stevie posted this last year:
"I am bringing out one of my favorite things I have ever done (ever) because I think the world might need it. It is my “Silent Night” from 1987. I wrote the bridge in the middle of the song ~ and I really thought it made it more compassionate than it already was.

Please enjoy it and think of me as I will be thinking of you on this unusual Christmas.

​​It’s really just a love song.
​​Sing with me~

​​I will hear you…

​​​Love,
​​​ Your Stevie
​​​ Stevie Nicks"

How is Silent Night a love song? It's a worship of Jesus LOL!
Come on now. Like baby Jesus she was born in the desert so she knows how it feels there.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-24-2021 at 10:29 AM..
Old 12-24-2021, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Come on now. Like baby Jesus she was born in the desert so she knows how it feels there.
The addition of "Well it was a... Yes it was a" really highlights that Stevie is a preacher. This transcendental meditation led the way to Show Them the Way.

I wish she'd have a Sunday morning mega service live from The Great Western/Fabulous Forum
Old 12-24-2021, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Back in the day I was at work and this came on the radio. I was so excited but my co-workers said it sounded like the Chipmunks. Now I see where they were coming from, but back then I still had my chiffon blinders on and apparently my ear muffs.
Old 12-26-2021, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
You got your round yon virgin, for starters.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post

Topic for another thread- Stevie's teaming up with the star of the moment usually comes in too late-Rupert Wine. Her political subject songs are released years after the events- New Orleans etc.
The version you're thinking of was recorded live with Petty & The Heartbreakers. I think it was a White House outdoor, under a white tent event.

Rupert may be thirsty for a drink of wine but his last name is Hine.

By the time she gets around to releasing event songs, the ball has already been dropped and long forgotten.
Old 12-27-2021, 06:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

Don't hate me but I still love this version--yes, even with the "well it was a..." part. "Silent Night" is my favorite Christmas song and Stevie's version takes me back to a simpler time when I was younger.
Old 12-27-2021, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the original studio version so much. Late 80’s Stevie voice…….After the Tango fiasco.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixgypsy View Post
Don't hate me but I still love this version--yes, even with the "well it was a..." part. "Silent Night" is my favorite Christmas song and Stevie's version takes me back to a simpler time when I was younger.
Hardly hate you for loving this. I was such a little fanboy at this point. She could have farted it and I would have fought for her. It brings me back to a wonderful childhood of rock and roll. These were good times!!
Old 12-28-2021, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixgypsy View Post
I could never, never hate you! But I just can’t get into this version — too many fantastic songs on that album to compare with, from Alison Moyet’s “Coventry Carol,” Sting doing “Gabriel’s Message,” and great numbers by U2, Springsteen, and the Pointer Sisters. Stevie sounds zonked and tuneless. There’s more Christmas spirit in “Wild Heart” makeup session or “Landslide” than in this plodder. And Robbie Nevil? Between Stevie Nicks and Robbie Nevil, there is just too damn much Eighties hair onstage. The whole thing is creepy.

Didn’t Stevie do a much better performance on a Christmas song with Chris Isaak?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-28-2021, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
She could have farted it and I would have fought for her.
These days that would almost be preferable. Lessee.....sing it out of my nose or my ass!
Old 12-28-2021, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

Didn’t Stevie do a much better performance on a Christmas song with Chris Isaak?
She sang very well on Santa Claus is Coming to Town with Chris.

I find the Silent Night vocal with the Heartbreakers is better than the 80s one. But I think they're both really good.

Still surprised Stevie hasn't posted about Christmas.