The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the arguement about indie labels and such for Fleetwood Mac. It will not happen. Too many power players and egos involved. The band has huge egos that have been cultivated by years of stroking. Beyond that you have Kaufman, Louis, Dimitriades, Stubner, and company. Kaufman is a major player. This tour is his baby. The band may have 4 managers, but he was the one who put together this tour. Played off Clear Channel against Concerts West to get the ridiculous guarantees the band got and so on. I do not know too much about the deal with Warner's now, but my feeling is that was more driven by Lindsey's people than big bad Howard. My point to all of this is Fleetwood Mac is a coporation with a board of directors beyond the 4 band members and the directors have other relationships that make it worth their while to keep Fleetwood Mac with a major lablel.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:46 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShangriLaTroubl
And unlike other artists who have attempted to take on the giants, Love has the financial wherewithal to back up her convictions.
In a recent Rolling Stone article, Love was portrayed as being on the edge financially: she borrowed money from the interviewer to buy take out. Does she have money or not? Just curious.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation I would like to see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley
When we're talking about independents, I think we're talking more a group like Sanctuary, which has the manpower and ability to helm a record like Fleetwood Mac's. Their success with Warren Zevon and MANY others is stunning, and their STILL part of the major label groups in terms of distribution, with BMG. They'd make more money going relatively small-time, keeping their costs down, and not having a huge blown up project that has no chance of meeting its P&Ls.
FM go with Sanctuary myself...Would be interesting to see how well they would do with brainpower that Sanctuary carries for their artists.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 05-18-2004, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Independent labels

Quote:
when it would've been the world's smartest thing to take it independent and grassroots. He would've made MONEY and it would've been heard. His ego can't handle it not being with a major, methinks.
I still find it odd that Lindesy didn't go with an independent for Gift of Screws.

I think he could have put his music out in a way that he wanted and had the freedom he says he wants.

After all money can't have been a factor he must have oodles of the stuff just lying around! So maybe it was the lure of the well known brand name that brought him back into the fold and the desire to sell loads of CDs.

What would have happened had he gone down the independent route? Would we ever have seen SYW?

Gail
Old 05-18-2004, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Warners would do FM a favor by dropping them. I've said before: FM, and Lindsey particularly, would be better off with a smaller, perhaps independent label, that would look at them as THE big fish in their pond.

By the way, did you see that movie yet? What's all the fuss? It was OK, not great.
What's The Pond Coming To?

The movie sucked.

- Jake
Old 05-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As much as he professes to be strictly in this for the art, I still maintain that there is a part of Lindsey that likes the big money making wheel that is Fleetwood Mac. Am I wrong or does he not say on the documentary that they were waiting on who was to make the better offer and in the end, it must have been Warner (although he makes the excuse that they have hosted their catalog so it makes more sense to go with them...I think that's a crock of BS).

Hayley my dear...your points are right on Stevie can pray to the commercial Gods all she wants but when it comes down to it, this wasn't a commerical album. As much as we all love it, it was (and i'm saying this for all intensive purposes) a flop by industry standards and it didn't have to be had it been marketed properly as you were saying. I'd be interested to see if Warner even offers them another deal after this OR if they do the SMART thing and go off on their own or with Interscope.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
If Slash were on the label, would he be slashed?
Don't be facetious, David. If Slash were on the label, he'd be axed.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Senior Ledgie

The bad thing about the Loretta Lynn record is that it's not popular because of Loretta Lynn. Jack White fans are merely adding it to their collection. I wouldn't say it's successful though it's probably one of Lynn's best selling records. All depends on how we define successful.

And the Sony/BMG deal's not even close to closing but we've already put Clive Davis in charge of BMG North America...
& the voice of a choir
& a melody...
nothing else mattered
Old 05-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To address John's point at the top of the page- he hit it right on the head. It's exactly what upsets me about the Mac, and why I get so ticked at Lindsey for not taking the best shot he's ever had to run with it and have a great success outside of that machine with all of those interests from all of those people.

He should hire me, dammit. I'll do right by him. I'll even make sure he sells limited edition copies with sweaty towels for the ladies.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They put Clive Davis back because they realized the utter idiocy of forcing him out once he'd built J into the best performing label in the BMG group as a startup.

It's not getting out of the EU, but once it does, I look forward to finally seeing what'll happen with my job. Yee haw!

Edit: Loretta's last studio album scanned something like 20K. Even if Jack is the reason for its success, it wouldn't continue to be successful as it's been (and it is) if not for the quality of its record. Arguments about Jack aside, Interscope is doing a great job positioning and promoting that record to its target audience. I bought it first day, as a minor Lynn fan, even though I dislike the White Stripes intensely.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He should hire me, dammit. I'll do right by him. I'll even make sure he sells limited edition copies with sweaty towels for the ladies.
Now that's a sign for your next concert!
Old 05-18-2004, 04:52 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
They put Clive Davis back because they realized the utter idiocy of forcing him out once he'd built J into the best performing label in the BMG group as a startup.
Funny they didn't really think about it when he built Arista into one of the top labels. Clive Davis is the Man.
& the voice of a choir
& a melody...
nothing else mattered
Old 05-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Junior Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Don't be facetious, David. If Slash were on the label, he'd be axed.
Am I the only one who thought that this was GENIUS???!!

Well done.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Warners would do FM a favor by dropping them. I've said before: FM, and Lindsey particularly, would be better off with a smaller, perhaps independent label, that would look at them as THE big fish in their pond.

By the way, did you see that movie yet? What's all the fuss? It was OK, not great.
i thought it was very good. good enough to buy which is pretty good.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Girl
In a recent Rolling Stone article, Love was portrayed as being on the edge financially: she borrowed money from the interviewer to buy take out. Does she have money or not? Just curious.

She claims she is completely broke..2 million in debt in fact..

And she also claims 14 million dollars in her daughter's trust fund is missing...all kinds of stuff...BUT I'm not so sure how broke she is...she continues to ride everywhere in limos...and stays in the four seasons...and still hasnt sold any of her 3 multi-million dollar homes...but financial workers close to the singer have stated that there is so much money un accounted for it's scary...

Chris