The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not to get off topic...this is probably an unpopular opinion about the BD HBO concert, her solo material shines on that show but the production choices for every single Fleetwood Mac song including Dreams just makes me cringe. Terrible.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Not to get off topic...this is probably an unpopular opinion about the BD HBO concert, her solo material shines on that show but the production choices for every single Fleetwood Mac song including Dreams just makes me cringe. Terrible.
I would agree with you in part. I dislike Sara and that keyboard opening. It used to be nails down a chalk board for me. Dreams was not my favorite. But loved Rhiannon. It was not on HBO but her band rocked Angel.
I may be in the minority but her 1981/1983 Gold Dust Woman is better than most Mac performances in the later years. Benmont and Waddy turned it into a much darker and bigger rocker and I loved it. But after those tours, the Mac version is better.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Does anyone remember the Westwood 1 radio concert during RAL. It was her live RAL concert with interviews.
I remember a Westwood One broadcast from Weedsport NY 6.20.86:
  • Outside the Rain
  • Dreams
  • Talk to Me
  • I Need to Know
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Leather and Lace
  • Stand Back
  • Stop Dragging the Ol’ Heart Around
  • How Still My Love
  • Edge of Seventeen
  • Rhiannon

It feels unlikely to me that a reissue would include an old Westwood One radio show. I think those things were put out quickly, without much fuss or care (such as balancing everything properly or patching in). The radio simulcasts had no status, no high profile, and source reel-to-reels have probably all been lost. There probably isn’t a Westwood One anymore, or its licensing model from the old days has changed. There was a tour special in 1983, too, but it used three new performances from Oakland 10.02.83 and combined them with the Fox Wilshire recording from 1981.

Fleetwood Mac obviously recorded a lot of concerts in the old days — more than we thought until they released these deluxe packages — but I don’t know whether Stevie Nicks performances were taped that widely by her organization. I would kill to get hold of digital transfers from source tapes of any of the following:
  • Houston (opening night in 1981)
  • Irvine Meadows (Sept 1983)
  • Forum (Oct 1983)
  • Oakland Coliseum (Oct 1983)
  • Tulsa (Nov 1983)
  • Los Angeles (Sept 1985 w/Tom Petty)
  • Jones Beach (June 1986)
  • Forum (July 1986)
  • Madison Square Garden (Aug 1986)
  • Guest spots with Tom Petty from 1981–83

If anyone needs a great idea for a deluxe release, I suggest a Tom Petty and Stevie Nicks package of stage performances from 1981 on, with audio, photos, David Wild liner notes, and so on. The Heartbreakers toured for Hard Promises and did a good number of summer, fall, and winter shows with Stephanie. The public is still quite turned on by the idea of Petty + Nicks — when the awards show puts a photo of the two of them up, the audience OOHs and AAHs, and dozens of articles are printed on the two of them every year. The idea of Stevie and Tom as a musical pair is still sexy to people (actually a lot sexier than the idea of Stevie and Lindsey).

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-17-2021, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I remember a Westwood One broadcast from Weedsport NY 6.20.86:
  • Outside the Rain
  • Dreams
  • Talk to Me
  • I Need to Know
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Leather and Lace
  • Stand Back
  • Stop Dragging the Ol’ Heart Around
  • How Still My Love
  • Edge of Seventeen
  • Rhiannon

It feels unlikely to me that a reissue would include an old Westwood One radio show. I think those things were put out quickly, without much fuss or care (such as balancing everything properly or patching in). The radio simulcasts had no status, no high profile, and source reel-to-reels have probably all been lost. There probably isn’t a Westwood One anymore, or its licensing model from the old days has changed. There was a tour special in 1983, too, but it used three new performances from Oakland 10.02.83 and combined them with the Fox Wilshire recording from 1981.

Fleetwood Mac obviously recorded a lot of concerts in the old days — more than we thought until they released these deluxe packages — but I don’t know whether Stevie Nicks performances were taped that widely by her organization. I would kill to get hold of digital transfers from source tapes of any of the following:
  • Forum (Oct 1983)
  • Tulsa (Nov 1983)
  • Forum (July 1986)

If anyone needs a great idea for a deluxe release, I suggest a Tom Petty and Stevie Nicks package of stage performances from 1981 on, with audio, photos, David Wild liner notes, and so on. The Heartbreakers toured for Hard Promises and did a good number of summer, fall, and winter shows with Stephanie. The public is still quite turned on by the idea of Petty + Nicks — when the awards show puts a photo of the two of them up, the audience OOHs and AAHs, and dozens of articles are printed on the two of them every year. The idea of Stevie and Tom as a musical pair is still sexy to people (actually a lot sexier than the idea of Stevie and Lindsey).
There was that Largo, MD 1983 Wild Heart show that was professionally recorded. Stevie was high as a kite so IMHO thats why it was not professionally released. I also think the Elaine part was planned and staged perfectly for this recorded show. Stevie supposedly axed her first Stand Back video because she did not like the way she looked. Wild Heart shows were the first time she no longer could hide her addiction on stage. VHS video concerts sold like hot cakes in the mid 80s. No way after several very popular MTV videos did her group not plan to release the Largo concerts. But it was never released and you can see why.

But yes to your point, all those shows would be incredible high or not. I saw a horrendous Wild Heart show in Pittsburgh but I would kill to see the video of it if it existed

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-17-2021 at 05:29 PM..
Old 05-17-2021, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE David

• Forum (Oct 1983)
  • Tulsa (Nov 1983)
  • Forum (July 1986)
.[/QUOTE]

I was at two of these. How about Costa Mesa 1986 where she threatens to cast a spell on a roadie and then says" Lindsey would kill me if he heard me say that" Too bad he didn't hear it.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There was that Largo, MD 1983 Wild Heart show that was professionally recorded. Stevie was high as a kite so IMHO thats why it was not professionally released.
I always figured that footage was intended for marketing. MTV used a snip of “If Anyone Falls” for a mini Stevie Nicks profile in 1984–85. But who knows? I remember seeing a small snippet of “Outside the Rain” from the September 25, 1983, gig at Compton Terrace, a City of Hope benefit with Loggins and Walsh, in an MTV Nicks profile. Some of these performances were filmed to provide clips in news reels and such. (Invariably the wrong performances were filmed for marketing, never the extraordinary ones.)

Quote:
But yes to your point, all those shows would be incredible high or not. I saw a horrendous Wild Heart show in Pittsburgh but I would kill to see the video of it if it existed
A bad Wild Heart show would always be worth seeing on film. But if I had to choose the bad performances or the great ones, give me the great ones. Give me the Forum, Irvine Meadows, and such, where Stevie reinvented boutou and mask drama from the theater traditions of the Ming and late imperial China. Sleeve movements, shadow play, and Xiansheng round out Stevie’s artistic traditions during the final few months of the 1983 tour.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-17-2021, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I was at two of these. How about Costa Mesa 1986 where she threatens to cast a spell on a roadie and then says" Lindsey would kill me if he heard me say that" Too bad he didn't hear it.
I went to that show, too! I’ll be damn. You reminded me that her mic stand was screwy during the “Rhiannon” vamp, and the stage hand had to run out there and try to fix it on the fly while she was holding the mic. It was taking awhile so she ad libbed a little “I Put a Spell on You” to tease this poor guy, while he’s frantically trying to fix the stand in front of 14,000 miasmatic chiffonheads at the Orange County Fairgrounds. The night had its charm, needless to say.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-17-2021, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
OSOTM was awful. $he lost me forever with that turd.
But you loved the album cover at least, didn’t you?
Old 05-18-2021, 12:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But you loved the album cover at least, didn’t you?
The cover was okay. But....

Bella Donna was PERFECTION. A classic album for the rest of my life.

Wild Heart was very good. But I probably haven't played it for 4-5 years, now.

RAL was okay. Catchy enough, but sliding downhill a bit.

OSOTM.....I TRIED. I really did. I just never got hooked on anything on it. It's bland and lifeless. $he'd lost it.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
The cover was okay. But....
The cover is stupid! The only cool thing on the cover is the checkered floor. Michele was just kidding.

Quote:
OSOTM.....I TRIED. I really did. I just never got hooked on anything on it. It's bland and lifeless. $he'd lost it.
“Long Way to Go” is the track I enjoy the most on that one. But then “Fall from Grace” came along and wiped the other one from my memory.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-18-2021, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The cover is stupid! The only cool thing on the cover is the checkered floor. Michele was just kidding.

“Long Way to Go” is the track I enjoy the most on that one. But then “Fall from Grace” came along and wiped the other one from my memory.
LOL I know, I was surprised by Homer's response too. I picked up the sarcassm.

Btw, if I had one wish of a Wild Heart show video that surfaced, it would be the Rhode Island show where the crowd is so freaking out of control at this outdoor concert. The audio is on youtube and Stevie keeps trying to calm people down and says she never saw an audience like this. This is the show where supposedly the crowd was throwing pineapple at her and she got pissed and started throwing it back.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
LOL I know, I was surprised by Homer's response too. I picked up the sarcassm.

Btw, if I had one wish of a Wild Heart show video that surfaced, it would be the Rhode Island show where the crowd is so freaking out of control at this outdoor concert. The audio is on youtube and Stevie keeps trying to calm people down and says she never saw an audience like this. This is the show where supposedly the crowd was throwing pineapple at her and she got pissed and started throwing it back.
I'm the one who told this story. One more time for clarification. A good friend of mine went to this show and stood near the front. She said a drunk guy was sexually harassing Stevie throughout the show and finally at one point during the concert she grabbed a pineapple stage prop and threw it at him.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was at this concert very close to the stage (after having waited for hours as it was a general admission show). Stevie threw the pineapple at one of the security guards who was becoming too aggressive with the crowd. She screamed at him that it was (paraphrasing) ‘ her crowd that came to see her and to ****ing lay-off’ and then she let the fruit fly. She then returned to Rhiannon. Crazy concert and atmosphere with the backdrop of the full moon rising over the bay behind Stevie.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So no one threw pineapple at Stevie? I swear I heard that before. The audio of the show is on youtube but unfortunately cuts out after Edge and we dont hear the pineapple saga part. However, you can routinely hear Stevie comment about the audience and the rowdy people screaming. Stevie sounds alarmed though.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So no one threw pineapple at Stevie? I swear I heard that before. The audio of the show is on youtube but unfortunately cuts out after Edge and we dont hear the pineapple saga part. However, you can routinely hear Stevie comment about the audience and the rowdy people screaming. Stevie sounds alarmed though.
It’s been years since I’ve listened to it, but here’s Rhiannon from the Bristol gig. Mid-September is about the time Stevie started getting good.

Rhiannon Introduction

Rhiannon

moviekinks.blogspot.com