Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Volume Level at Fleetwood Mac Concerts

Hi, guys. I'd like to ask everyone's opinion on something. I caught the show at Nassau Coliseum on Sunday Night and totally loved it. It was my first Fleetwood Mac concert and I had an absolute blast. And I was very impressed with how "tight" the band is, musically.

But -

Yeah. Not to be a stick-in-the-mud, but I thought the volume really was WAY too high. Mind-numbingly so - EPIC.
Dangerously high.

It certainly was much, much higher than any other concert I've ever been to, including Stevie solo concerts.

So I was wondering how other people feel about this, and what their opinions are.

P.S. - Ironically, I seem to remember that a couple of years back, Mick was speaking publicly about volume levels at rock concerts, saying that they are too loud - dangerously so - and should come down.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:36 PM
Senior Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac is the whole reason I bring ear plugs with me to concerts just in case. When I saw them in '09 (I think) I was hoping that I wouldn't leave with permanent damage from the volume at their concert. My ears rang for the next day. I have never felt the need to wear them at any other concert I've been to since. For what it's worth, Stevie's concerts always seem to be the perfect loudness, imo. I can't remember where, but I've read somewhere in the past that Lindsey likes his music LOUD and he's very particular about the sound (I remember he even cancelled a show in Nebraska once because he was so dissatisfied with the sound) so I would guess he's the culprit.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I never had issues with FM playing to loud .Some shows the volume was to low.The guy next to me at the Hartford show was complaining about the level being to high.It was ok to me.

What I cant stand is these opening acts playing to loud and by the time the main artist comes on stage your ears are ringing from the opening act.

Thank goodness FM dont have any opening acts.

Stevie shows could be louder at times.Peter Frampton was to loud at the RAL tour.When Stevie came out .Our ears were already ringing.I do enjoy Peter tunes but not that loud as an opening act.If he was the main act.I would not mind.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016

Last edited by Macfanforever; 01-27-2015 at 10:26 PM..
Old 01-27-2015, 11:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting because I thought the volume was too low at Tampa on December 20th. Somehow I remember the volume seemed louder during the 2013 tour.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I saw them in Pittsburgh and thought the level was perfect. It was not too loud at all.
I remember in the 1980s and seeing Motley Crue for the Theater of Pain tour and everyone was deaf after the concert. As teenagers we all thought it was funny but such serious hearing loss even temporarily cant be a good thing
Old 01-28-2015, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

At the Pittsburgh show I thought the sound could be a little louder. I was telling my friend how loud they were and then when they come on stage and starting playing I didnt even need to wear my earplugs.
Now seeing Metallica & GNR at 3 Rivers Stadium back in the day was loud as hell and the last time I saw Heart my ears were ringing pretty bad -ha! The show that had my ears ringing for years was Filter. I saw them at small club near my house about 5-6 years ago and I thought I had permanent damage but one day a few years later the ringing stopped.
Also my hubby took me to Toronto back in 2003 to see Fleetwood Mac and that show was so loud I felt like my ears were bleeding during Come! I never wanted a song to be over so bad in my life!!
Old 01-28-2015, 10:02 AM

I thought the volume was perfect for the three shows I attended.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Every time I see FM or Stevie I think it's too loud. I saw Willy Moon, and his show was too loud. Can't think of any other artists I've seen who leave this impression.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-28-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Every time I see FM or Stevie I think it's too loud. I saw Willy Moon, and his show was too loud. Can't think of any other artists I've seen who leave this impression.
Of course, I'm never really close up. I'm always at least halfway back.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

They've always been one of the loudest bands I've ever seen -
going back to 1979, for me.
But I love them loud. As long as the venue has good acoustics.
I love feeling the drum and bass in my chest. Not too many other bands can do that
for me.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
They've always been one of the loudest bands I've ever seen -
going back to 1979, for me.
But I love them loud. As long as the venue has good acoustics.
I love feeling the drum and bass in my chest. Not too many other bands can do that
for me.
I love the feeling the volume give you, too. I can feel the rhythm section.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I saw them in Pittsburgh and thought the level was perfect. It was not too loud at all.
I remember in the 1980s and seeing Motley Crue for the Theater of Pain tour and everyone was deaf after the concert. As teenagers we all thought it was funny but such serious hearing loss even temporarily cant be a good thing
Cant be any worse then what todays teens and twenty somethings listen in their Boom Boom car stereos.98 percent what I hear out of those systems sound like crap nevermind the music is crap.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I love the feeling the volume give you, too. I can feel the rhythm section.
I agree .You can feel Mick and John inside me.LOL.....

Old 01-28-2015, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I agree .You can feel Mick and John inside me.LOL.....
Oooooohhhhhhh. er?

The sound is what is so impressive for people. Casual fans just don't expect it from Fleetwood Mac. The sound level is just right.... BOOOOM.
Its not just the volume though- even I forget just how much drum and bass oomph they have. Hits me every time.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I went to the Birmingham concert in September 2013 and I wasn't sure how loud it would be as it was my first concert. I was a but nervous before it started but I was pleasantly surprised when Mick's drums kicked in for Second Hand News as I thought it was going to be louder. John's bass was also not loud enough which I found disappointing as that is one of the main attractions for me and why I love their music so much.

I'm going back to the same venue to see them on June 8th so I hope the bass is louder and if the overall sound is louder then that would be fine by me!