Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-17-2024, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Where is the audio?
I either found it on YouTube or it was on a bootleg someone posted on here. I’ll look for it on YouTube and comment a link if I find it.
Old 01-17-2024, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
I either found it on YouTube or it was on a bootleg someone posted on here. I’ll look for it on YouTube and comment a link if I find it.
I do think I've heard it recently. But, can't remember which media.
Old 01-18-2024, 04:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
Yes. It was on youtube and I posted it here several months ago. If it is still there check out the Mirage show in NJ. That version of Sara is just as good as Tusk ones. She hits the highest of high notes during her ooooooooo ooooooooo oooooooo's
Its just an amateur recording and it sounds great. I can only imagine what a professional recording would sound like.
The 1988 Sara is like a Sasquatch in the woods. Often spoken about but never seen or heard.

Edit: I could not find NJY anymore but I found Memphis. Not as good as NJ but still good. I think this is the concert where Stevie finds out Robin died. So her vocals are a bit rough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R51YKmXo0T8

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-18-2024 at 04:52 AM..
Old 01-18-2024, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Totally. That bootleg audio of "The Ghost" floating around on YouTube is great.
https://youtu.be/TBTeuvaQCdk?si=J_BX6HwL5Ta04qJB

So good, another great jam.
Old 01-18-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl View Post
I've been obsessed with this version.
Old 01-18-2024, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl View Post
This is great, thanks for the link!
Old 01-18-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
This is great, thanks for the link!
You can really hear the keys, bass, and drums. Realizing how good this band was at grooving and playing whatever the writer threw at them.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Yes. It was on youtube and I posted it here several months ago. If it is still there check out the Mirage show in NJ. That version of Sara is just as good as Tusk ones. She hits the highest of high notes during her ooooooooo ooooooooo oooooooo's
Its just an amateur recording and it sounds great. I can only imagine what a professional recording would sound like.
The 1988 Sara is like a Sasquatch in the woods. Often spoken about but never seen or heard.

Edit: I could not find NJY anymore but I found Memphis. Not as good as NJ but still good. I think this is the concert where Stevie finds out Robin died. So her vocals are a bit rough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R51YKmXo0T8
Oh youve sent me down the memory lane wormhole this morning! Memphis 1982 was one of the first bootlegs I ever owned. I paid someone $10 on eBay and they burned me a CD (my god how old am I?) and mailed it complete with a printed label and artwork for the case. It’s a bit rough and certainly less polished than what had originally pulled me into the 1982 live stuff which was the snippets of the Mirage Video I had been able to see over the years on the net long before YouTube and high speed internet!

Lindsey sounds absolutely sloshed by the end of the show. GYOW is interesting and where he brings the solo to a close and plays the bass riff or whatever you want to call it (the da-da-dada-da-daaa-da—-dadada daaaaaaaaa ….lol don’t any of you musicians come at me for this abomination, you know what I’m talking about!) is a bit of a shambles. He also sounds pretty hammered during Blue Letter “eryvoithyoueverheewwerd” which cracks me up.

I love how every show was different in the “before” times. You play me any song from a 2009 show or a 2014 show and I’d with a few exceptions not know the difference at all.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
I love how every show was different in the “before” times. You play me any song from a 2009 show or a 2014 show and I’d with a few exceptions not know the difference at all.
That's because of the not so lovely karaoke tracks they play with now. The song always has to be the same length, and the speed can't vary, because the click track can't vary.

I'd pay extra for a NO TRACKS show. Gimme da warts and all!
Old 01-18-2024, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
That's because of the not so lovely karaoke tracks they play with now. The song always has to be the same length, and the speed can't vary, because the click track can't vary.

I'd pay extra for a NO TRACKS show. Gimme da warts and all!
Same! It’s too predictable and too boring. Makes events like the night that Mick got sick in Nebraska so interesting. Not that GYOW was THAT much different that night but it had a few warts (Steve had a small misstep at the end of the first solo that he had to work through because the rest of the band was just going on) which just gave it a little semblance of actual life.
Old 01-18-2024, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's actually my biggest criticism of the band between '97-'15. The Rumours, Tusk, and Mirage tours all had a distinct sound to them which is great. Lindsey's guitar tone has largely been unchanged since '97. It would have been nice if they had spent a bit more time trying to brush the dust off of the same arrangement for Dreams they've been using since '97 etc.

I was listening to Sisters Of The Moon from the 2014 tour and it really stood out to me how diminished Lindsey's guitar parts are. He's just strumming chords for 90% of the song. That amazing guitar solo from '79-'82 was entirely absent. Everyone knew Stevie wasn't going to be able to have the same vocal intensity she did 40 years ago, all the more reason to boost the song with all of the amazing guitar work that used to be there. The 2014 version never made sense to me. IMO, the biggest disappointment of any of their songs that have made a return to the set after decades of absence.

The same thing applies to Rhiannon. It's like they forgot all about that amazing solo that came after the "dreams unwind" segment of the song.

I always wondered if there was some sort of comment made about Lindsey's guitar overshadowing her songs/performances.

Last edited by BigAl84; 01-18-2024 at 02:13 PM..
Old 01-18-2024, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh youve sent me down the memory lane wormhole this morning! Memphis 1982 was one of the first bootlegs I ever owned. I paid someone $10 on eBay and they burned me a CD (my god how old am I?) and mailed it complete with a printed label and artwork for the case. It’s a bit rough and certainly less polished than what had originally pulled me into the 1982 live stuff which was the snippets of the Mirage Video I had been able to see over the years on the net long before YouTube and high speed internet!

Lindsey sounds absolutely sloshed by the end of the show. GYOW is interesting and where he brings the solo to a close and plays the bass riff or whatever you want to call it (the da-da-dada-da-daaa-da—-dadada daaaaaaaaa ….lol don’t any of you musicians come at me for this abomination, you know what I’m talking about!) is a bit of a shambles. He also sounds pretty hammered during Blue Letter “eryvoithyoueverheewwerd” which cracks me up.

OMG so true. The performances were so much more organic and surprising those days. Mick even alludes to this in his first book but about the Tusk tour. He wrote something like some nights we were messy and off while other nights they were so tight and played the best they ever played. Plus in those days you never knew how Stevie was going to be. Was she going to be so high that her performance was impacted. Her Wild Heart tour and RAL tour were like that. One night was really good and then there were nights that were incoherent and scary. But hey, its rock and roll.
I saw one of the early Tango shows and during the end of Blue Letter, Stevie says into the mic "new ending." I think the band messed up or something but most of the audience did not catch it. There is such a less likely chance of any of that happening today. This is why I love the US Festival performance so much. They went on last and were so drunk and high after partying all day and each song has flubs. I love it! Its a very messy performance and we only have gotten to see like only 5 songs. Can you imagine what the other songs have in store?
Old 01-18-2024, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's actually my biggest criticism of the band between '97-'15. The Rumours, Tusk, and Mirage tours all had a distinct sound to them which is great. Lindsey's guitar tone has largely been unchanged since '97. It would have been nice if they had spent a bit more time trying to brush the dust off of the same arrangement for Dreams they've been using since '97 etc.

I was listening to Sisters Of The Moon from the 2014 tour and it really stood out to me how diminished Lindsey's guitar parts are. He's just strumming chords for 90% of the song. That amazing guitar solo from '79-'82 was entirely absent. Everyone knew Stevie wasn't going to be able to have the same vocal intensity she did 40 years ago, all the more reason to boost the song with all of the amazing guitar work that used to be there. The 2014 version never made sense to me. IMO, the biggest disappointment of any of their songs that have made a return to the set after decades of absence.

The same thing applies to Rhiannon. It's like they forgot all about that amazing solo that came after the "dreams unwind" segment of the song.

I always wondered if there was some sort of comment made about Lindsey's guitar overshadowing her songs/performances.
Yes, the Mac gave up their arena rock in the Dance days forward for a much more "like the record" approach to their live stuff. Personally I love it when they rock out. But I think I am in the minority on this board. Those Lindsey parts at the end of the Chain and Sisters really were something. Although I'm So Afraid and GYOW still have those rock endings. Lindsey's guitar licks on YMLF were insane live. But even those got tamer The Dance and post Dance. When Over My Head finally went back in the set, they went with the album version and abandoned their more upbeat live version.
Old 01-18-2024, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think it's this. He's been the show forever, but even more so as her hip got bad, and she wasn't able to spin around like a drunken sailor. And yet he was rocking out harder than he was 40 years previous! He was out shining her, and how dare he? So they neutered his rocking her songs out.
Old 01-18-2024, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I want a complete Tusk show from May or June 1980. And please make sure the live Rhiannon is just as good or better than the one released from Tuscon from August of 1980.