User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-17-2023, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
This whole Dolly project reminds me of when Pat Boone had his leather pants phase in his late 70s LOLOL...

It might be a fun track, but it's truly late career vegas-y garbage that I would have never expected from her if you would have asked me 15 years ago.

There's no reason for her to be embarrassed about her 80's output if she's ok with this! Somebody send Lori and Sharon back to the UHAUL storage for the coke and mirror cassette collection.
I think she's always been susceptible to cheesy though. There's an interview where (I think it's when FM got back together, and Stevie is sitting on a road case, and LB kisses her head... but maybe someone can remember better) and they are talking about BN days and some joke about playing low level steakhouses and how Lindsey was the one to say "uh, no we won't do that" and Stevie says "and his girlfriend would have gladly done that". I think she would do anything if it meant getting attention or getting a good paycheck without regard for artistic integrity.
Old 11-17-2023, 05:39 PM
Ledgie

Some press for the song:

Does it get any cooler than Dolly Parton and Stevie Nicks on the same track? Nope, and it doesn’t get more fun either, judging by the intro and outro of this one, which find the two living legends quibbling about who’s going to take the first verse, and then laughing about guzzling champagne. “He said, what has rock ’n’ roll ever done for me? / I said everything,” they sing on this bluesy romp, which Nicks originally wrote for Fleetwood Mac about an affair she once had with someone “famous and rich” in the rock scene. The band rejected it, but their loss is Parton’s (and our) gain.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-do...ck-the-hardest

I do kind of dig the into and outro because it’s definitely different hearing Stevie riff with Dolly and keeping up with the campiness. Her “acting” in the past has been generic but she plays it well here.
Old 11-17-2023, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think if the song was a good actual 'song' there'd be no need for the talking intro and outro

btw, per Dolly interview Stevie said she wanted to do this song because it like honors the other rocker she was doing at the time.... Do we know who it was? Henley? Joe? Tom? Waddy? Mick?
Old 11-17-2023, 06:38 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I think if the song was a good actual 'song' there'd be no need for the talking intro and outro

btw, per Dolly interview Stevie said she wanted to do this song because it like honors the other rocker she was doing at the time.... Do we know who it was? Henley? Joe? Tom? Waddy? Mick?

I haven’t heard the album yet but based on the article there is an intro with Joan Jett for I Hate Myself For Loving You and on another a new song Rockstar. IHMFLY is and has always been a banger of a song.
Old 11-17-2023, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah. This "song" is still completely unfinished and the lyrics are nonsense. (It's an example of Stevie being in love with the song title, but then she doesn't write anything cohesive around it.)

On the plus side, they seemed to be having fun. I enjoyed hearing their banter.
Old 11-17-2023, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
Yeah. This "song" is still completely unfinished and the lyrics are nonsense. (It's an example of Stevie being in love with the song title, but then she doesn't write anything cohesive around it.)

On the plus side, they seemed to be having fun. I enjoyed hearing their banter.

It’s a fun/ good Dolly Parton disc. This was the perfect Stevie Nicks contribution. It fits in perfectly with the vibe of this collection of songs. It would never had made it on a Fleetwood Mac album and obviously not even on a Stevie solo album. Great call Stevie!

Last edited by BLY; 11-17-2023 at 07:20 PM..
Old 11-17-2023, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It made me smile. I doubt I’ll ever feel the need to listen to it again.
Old 11-17-2023, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I think she's always been susceptible to cheesy though. There's an interview where (I think it's when FM got back together, and Stevie is sitting on a road case, and LB kisses her head... but maybe someone can remember better) and they are talking about BN days and some joke about playing low level steakhouses and how Lindsey was the one to say "uh, no we won't do that" and Stevie says "and his girlfriend would have gladly done that". I think she would do anything if it meant getting attention or getting a good paycheck without regard for artistic integrity.
I’d do it just for the steak.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-18-2023, 08:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok I listened this song and I do like it. But that's it, I mean it´s not big deal to me. I didn't find any arrogant nor cringey in the lyrics, it was just fun I guess, but if someone explain to me the context, maybe I'll see better the big picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54grdlWeWGY

What I didn't like was Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me. Maybe cause the Elton live versions with George Michael are far better and touching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfCxaV5g4V4
Old 11-18-2023, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Great fun. The song is junk but they tore into it and made it...fun!
Old 11-18-2023, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Great fun. The song is junk but they tore into it and made it...fun!
Agree. And I think Dolly clearly sees it for exactly what it is. Her polite words were "cute little song". It's really Stevie who would be the one to think it's her latest masterpiece (better than the Kennedys carrying her dress across the carpet and all that.....) And that's the eye-rolling part. It's a half-a$$ed throwaway (which is why it sat in the discards bin all these years), which is fine if you know that's what it is (which is everyone but Stevie). If Stevie had bothered to put any effort into it all these years it could have been an interesting take on r&r.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 11-18-2023 at 05:27 PM..
Old 11-18-2023, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The whole concept of the "Rockstar" album is cheese-whiz and gimmicky for an artist with a respected catalog like Dolly Parton.

In the twilight of her career, Dolly Parton could have chosen to make an artistic statement in the vein of what Rick Rubin did with Johnny Cash's "American Recordings" and his Grammy winning "Hurt". Jack White's mind-blowing work on Loretta Lynn's "Van Lear Rose" also comes to mind.

Instead, Dolly has opted for a generic album full of badly produced cover songs. I'm not sure why, she certainly doesn't need the money.
Old 11-18-2023, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
The whole concept of the "Rockstar" album is cheese-whiz and gimmicky for an artist with a respected catalog like Dolly Parton.

In the twilight of her career, Dolly Parton could have chosen to make an artistic statement in the vein of what Rick Rubin did with Johnny Cash's "American Recordings" and his Grammy winning "Hurt". Jack White's mind-blowing work on Loretta Lynn's "Van Lear Rose" also comes to mind.

Instead, Dolly has opted for a generic album full of badly produced cover songs. I'm not sure why, she certainly doesn't need the money.
Dolly releases new material fairly regularly, so while this might not be your cup of tea, that doesn't mean the type of album you'd prefer will never happen.
Old 11-18-2023, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post

or the two great Americana albums Tanya Tucker has done with Brandi and Shooter Jennings even the new one Shooter's mom Jessi Colter just did with Margo Price. Dolly should have pared the album down to a single disc. The one with Stevie would be one of the first to go.

Old 11-18-2023, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
or the two great Americana albums Tanya Tucker has done with Brandi and Shooter Jennings even the new one Shooter's mom Jessi Colter just did with Margo Price.
Exactly! I wholeheartedly agree. Brandi Carlile and Shooter Jennings' production work on Tanya Tucker's brilliant, critically acclaimed "While I'm Living" was phenomenal. In fact, when Brandi decided to take Tucker's music in an Americana direction, the first person she called was producer Rick Rubin to consult with him on the process for Cash's "American Recordings: The Man Comes Around". Clearly, Brandi Carlile has good taste in music production.

Parton is a brilliant songwriter with a rich and multi-layered catalog worthy of the same production and career shift. In the interest of good taste, it would have been a wise move.

Instead, she's gone the direction of cheap karaoke and shallow gimmicks with the unmitigated disaster that is "Rockstar".