Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-12-2023, 08:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default What Has Rock And Roll Ever Done For You

And the first clips of the Dolly version of Stevie's old demo are coming out:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzjnT..._web_copy_link

I mean, this wasn't ever one of my favorite demos - I guess it was destined to find its home on Dolly Parton's rock album in 2023 :P

The track list and collaborations are rather interested - my interest is up.

Remember the interview where Stevie was knocking Fleetwood Mac for not using "What Has Rock And Roll" on Tango because they always like her slow songs. (She used a different word I can't recall...) LOL.

So who would swap out "What Has Rock And Roll Ever Done For You" for whassammatha baby?
Old 11-12-2023, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I 100% love it! They did a great job together.
Old 11-13-2023, 05:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I can see why Lindsey passed this song up. Its the most arrogant song ever. It must have been written just after she put 5 lines up her nose and written during her peak cocaine addiction. Stevie does not usually write such arrogant songs.
I've heard the beginning of the song and both of them banter back and forth who is going to start and then Dolly says......Stand Back and then Stevie cackles.
I dont think the song fits Dolly but she's going overboard dressing up in leather with this rock album. I would have much preferred her to sing Bella Donna or I sing for the things or even Nothing Ever Changes.
Old 11-13-2023, 06:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I 100% love it! They did a great job together.
I love the singing. In the banter before they sing, Dolly sounds so sweet but Stevie's speak shouting sounds like a smoker!

I wonder how much Stevie got paid for the song and her participation.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life;1289843[B
]I can see why Lindsey passed this song up. Its the most arrogant song ever. It must have been written just after she put 5 lines up her nose and written during her peak cocaine addiction. Stevie does not usually write such arrogant songs. [/B]
I've heard the beginning of the song and both of them banter back and forth who is going to start and then Dolly says......Stand Back and then Stevie cackles.
I dont think the song fits Dolly but she's going overboard dressing up in leather with this rock album. I would have much preferred her to sing Bella Donna or I sing for the things or even Nothing Ever Changes.
Lord. I agree. There is something cringey about this recording. I've always loved Dolly and used to adore $tevie pre-2018. I've heard the demo and never loved it, but I don't remember it being this weird and embarrassing. I was thinking about a song like "Garbo" and how pretty and elegant it is contrasted with yelling about being so rich you can swill champagne. Le sigh.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviegirl View Post
Lord. I agree. There is something cringey about this recording. I've always loved Dolly and used to adore $tevie pre-2018. I've heard the demo and never loved it, but I don't remember it being this weird and embarrassing. I was thinking about a song like "Garbo" and how pretty and elegant it is contrasted with yelling about being so rich you can swill champagne. Le sigh.
Answer the question!
Old 11-13-2023, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie post 1976 or so has ALWAYS been more about the fame than the art. ALWAYS.

I want to put a big chunk of blame on Henley. She's said he "taught me how to be a rock star". Aided and abetted likely by Irving et al. "You must demand the presidential suite" "You must demand a piano in your hotel room" "You can demand the room be painted pink" "You should demand your own limo, after all, you're the REAL star in the band" etc etc etc. She is inclined to love that sort of crap and put real value on it.... way more than the others, though I suspect Mick comes closest. I think they all fell into that for a while when Rumours and all hit, but they wised up and saw it for what it was after a few years. She still lives in it.

This song epitomizes it.
Old 11-13-2023, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
She is inclined to love that sort of crap and put real value on it.... way more than the others, though I suspect Mick comes closest.
I agree with these insights. And I think this quality in her — which has affected (or infected) even her musical taste — is a lot of the cause for the dissension between her and Lindsey. (Not that he doesn’t enjoy the good life, but it consumes her and drags down so much of what she does as an artist these days.)

And this song, oy Gott. It is the most undistinguished, tuneless, hookless little horror you can imagine that ever came out of the posturing 80s. It’s totally undistinguished on every level. It’s worse than the band Ratt. What is it? Stevie with grit? With street smarts? Yeah, right. She’s about as believable as Olivia Newton John with attitude.

She and Dolly should have updated “Angel” or “Gold Dust Woman” into an edgy alternative rocker. I would even have settled for a new “Listen to the Rain.” At least that song isn’t anywhere near as dumb.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-13-2023, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Stevie post 1976 or so has ALWAYS been more about the fame than the art. ALWAYS.

I want to put a big chunk of blame on Henley. She's said he "taught me how to be a rock star". Aided and abetted likely by Irving et al. "You must demand the presidential suite" "You must demand a piano in your hotel room" "You can demand the room be painted pink" "You should demand your own limo, after all, you're the REAL star in the band" etc etc etc.
Interesting. When did she say that? I mean, is there an article or video where she told that? Please share!
Old 11-13-2023, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I agree with these insights. And I think this quality in her — which has affected (or infected) even her musical taste — is a lot of the cause for the dissension between her and Lindsey. (Not that he doesn’t enjoy the good life, but it consumes her and drags down so much of what she does as an artist these days.)

And this song, oy Gott. It is the most undistinguished, tuneless, hookless little horror you can imagine that ever came out of the posturing 80s. It’s totally undistinguished on every level. It’s worse than the band Ratt. What is it? Stevie with grit? With street smarts? Yeah, right. She’s about as believable as Olivia Newton John with attitude.

She and Dolly should have updated “Angel” or “Gold Dust Woman” into an edgy alternative rocker. I would even have settled for a new “Listen to the Rain.” At least that song isn’t anywhere near as dumb.
Reverend David… any song is better than one that just drops Phantom of the Opera as a lyric.
Old 11-13-2023, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Reverend David… any song is better than one that just drops Phantom of the Opera as a lyric.
Please don't mess with Phantom of the Opera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaa.jpg (61.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 11-13-2023, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I guess we have yet another addition to the garbage heap of duets she's done over the past 10 years...

We've got the Barbie, the bad duets...will there be a Stevie Nicks line of jewelry and clothing on QVC next year?
Old 11-13-2023, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Well, I guess we have yet another addition to the garbage heap of duets she's done over the past 10 years...

We've got the Barbie, the bad duets...will there be a Stevie Nicks line of jewelry and clothing on QVC next year?
$he went to the Mick Fleetwood "I'll Do Anything For a Buck" school. I'm surprised $he hasn't auctioned off her panties, like Mick did with Biddy's.
Old 11-13-2023, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=[B] It’s worse than the band Ratt. [/B]

1. This is the funniest thing ever.
B. It is true.
3. I'm going to start saying this about everything that is horrible.
Old 11-13-2023, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
No
No
No
There's no beauty and the beast here