The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Speaking of John on SYW, that part in DR when Stevie said it sounded like he had fallen off of the stage was pretty funny. So much better than: "We need more bass in the mix."

Michele
Old 01-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Great idea for a thread...

Christine - I've listened to a little bit of In the Meantime. Her voice sounded good and strong. Of course her voice has remained the most consistent of the three. It's hard for me to judge her keyboard playing skills, though I do appreciate her style of playing the more sensible, rhythm role.

Lindsey - Lindsey's voice was good back in the day. Since SYW, its been not good(trying to be nice, here ) His guitar playing is perfect though!

Stevie - Her voice has changed soooooo many times over the years. For me her best voice is the Mirage era. Her voice today is better that what it was around Say You Will era. I remember Stevie saying somewhere that while the others play instruments, for her, her voice is her instrument.

John and Mick - one of the main reasons I adore Fleetwood Mac is due to the emphasis on the rhythm and bass in most of their songs. I've noticed though since Tango in the Night, that aspect has been toned down some. Love Mick's playing on Stevie's In Your Dreams.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm gonna skip to John...I'm pretty bass knowledge lacking and can't grasp how much input or effect the bass actually has...so l I wish I wish somehow his playing could be separated from the other instruments and singing during a live show and I could just have a listen.... Is that even possible to do? How about a suggestion of exact seconds in song when you can really "hear" John... Then I would probably go “D-oh! I do know what it sounds like.” Yes, I know what it sounds like...

I think they all still do a great job. I get such as kick out of seeing them try. I'd really like to see Christine...c'mon Christine....I dare you...

He asked me for my love
And that was all
Old 01-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Stevie: What can I say? Yes, her voice has changed and fluctuated over her 4 decade career. All I will say is go to utube and search for "Love Is -live " from any of her 2011 IYD tour dates...watch it.....and try not to cry. The emotion she pours into each note can take your breath away. She is at the top of her game, in the studio and on the stage. She rocked when I saw her in Bristow, VA this summer. She looked slim and sassy , had a huge genuine smile on her face the entire show, and the boots were back.

Lindsey: His voice hasn't changes all that much, a little deeper, not as strong. His energy is poured into that guitar, which has always been his true passion. I saw him solo for the first time in Durham, NC for his SWS tour, I enjoyed every second, every song.

Mick & John: Awesome rhythm section. John walks that bass all over that stage without ever leaving that 3 square foot area he has boxed himself into and refushes to come out of (lol). Mick bangs those drums loud and proud, still strutting his mojo every chance he gets. Still fighting to keep the chain intact.

Last edited by fairydust75; 01-27-2012 at 08:55 PM..
Old 01-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

This ^^^^^^

Sums up my feelings too!
Old 01-30-2012, 03:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Mick and John have still got "It"! All the members have. As far as drumming goes, Mick is still strong, evidenced in the "Blue Again" recordings. He is a beast behind the drums. I will say that what I have heard of his drum solos on the "Unleashed" tour did not seem as good as others. I suggested prior to that tour that perhaps they should explore the possibility of a "drum off" concept between Mick and whomever they had as the percussionist and moving the drum solo away from "World Turning" or dropping that song from the set in favor of something else that would fit a drum solo ("Not That Funny" perhaps?). That way creating a back and forth and something a little different for us, the fans. Other than that I would say to all the members, "Then Play On"!!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kena View Post
I'm gonna skip to John...I'm pretty bass knowledge lacking and can't grasp how much input or effect the bass actually has...so l I wish I wish somehow his playing could be separated from the other instruments and singing during a live show and I could just have a listen.... Is that even possible to do? How about a suggestion of exact seconds in song when you can really "hear" John... Then I would probably go “D-oh! I do know what it sounds like.” Yes, I know what it sounds like...
It's subtle but it is SO there!! I think it is hard to hear sometimes in the final mix. He joked about that to LB in the DR doc.

Listen to the way he makes the bass "cry" in the beginning of this live version of "Oh Daddy".

If you listen for him though you can hear him come in prominently in several studio songs: at .07 seconds in IDWTK and holds that entire song down. Or at .03 seconds into YMLF, in SYW that consistent 'thump' and you can hear him pretty good on the fade out and also in the very beginning of EFO. If you find his groove in the beginning of a song, you can pretty much follow him throughout ...so when your head bops or your foot taps - thank John McVie!!

Last edited by CADreaming; 02-11-2012 at 11:05 AM..
Old 02-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Stevie: The voice... oh, I don't know how I feel about her voice. It was at it's zenith during Mirage, but, it's just so distinctive and what she's lost in range she's made up in control and power. She still has the most gorgeous falsetto notes too. I honestly wonder what her voice would sound like if she got that hole in her nose fixed. There are moments - flashes really - where she sounds like the Stevie of Bella Donna. Her song writing is still as good as ever, and she still has that all important charisma and star power.
I totally agree with this. Her voice sounds more nasally now than it ever has and I'm sure it has to do with the deterioration of her nose mixed with her age and the strain she's put on her vocal chords throughout the years.

For those who say Lindsey's voice is shot, I don't agree. I think he sounds better now than he did back in the day. His voice has gotten deeper and richer and he sounds more like a man now. There are a few recordings back in the 70's where he sounds like one of the girls . He really WAS destined to sing with women.